Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Does Superman inspire people or just make them dependent on him?

I saw a review of Superman Doomsday and it brought up some interesting questions. The review suggests that in that movie the people of Metropolis seems totally dependent on Superman and have learned nothing really important from his example. So in the comics, does Superman inspire people to be better or just ends up making them dependent on him?

Here is the review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wie-ZeCX_nA
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-14-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Retired

"Must There Be A Superman?" SUPERMAN 247 (January '72); script: Elliot S! Maggin (from an idea by Jeph Loeb); pencils: Curt Swan; inks: Murphy Anderson; editor: Julius Schwartz. 'Nuff said.

And for a more recent example, I point you towards Greg Pak's Action Comics over the last few issues. There's no dependency there.

Honestly, in this sort of topic the religious correlations run pretty appropriate. Does anything in religion help you get a job? No, your bible or holy text or whatever sits on your bookshelf (or wherever they're kept) and does nothing. You are the one who has to go out there and find employment. But do the stories in those books inspire you and help you find the inner strength to get up, and go find that job? Sure, I suppose so (for those who are religious).

Are the people of the world dependent on Superman? We've seen in lots of examples that no, they're not. They got it covered. But does Superman's example inspire those people to rise up when disaster hits, and helps them bring out the best in themselves? We've seen in lots of examples that yes, it does.

Unless you ask Lex Luthor. He'd say that people are dependent on Superman. But he's the villain, so he's sort of wrong by default.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-15-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And for a more recent example, I point you towards Greg Pak's Action Comics over the last few issues. There's no dependency there.

Honestly, in this sort of topic the religious correlations run pretty appropriate. Does anything in religion help you get a job? No, your bible or holy text or whatever sits on your bookshelf (or wherever they're kept) and does nothing. You are the one who has to go out there and find employment. But do the stories in those books inspire you and help you find the inner strength to get up, and go find that job? Sure, I suppose so (for those who are religious).

Are the people of the world dependent on Superman? We've seen in lots of examples that no, they're not. They got it covered. But does Superman's example inspire those people to rise up when disaster hits, and helps them bring out the best in themselves? We've seen in lots of examples that yes, it does.

Unless you ask Lex Luthor. He'd say that people are dependent on Superman. But he's the villain, so he's sort of wrong by default.

Right after "our worlds at war", there was a story dealing with rebuilding what was damaged/destroyed in owaw. Luthor yells at Superman for not doing the rebuilding himself, reasoning that Superman's power would make it easy work. Superman explains that he does not want humanity dependent on him for everything. Luthor does not buy the argument, & basically calls Superman a lazy jerk. Or something like that.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Retired

I'm totally dependent on Superman. He doesn't inspire me at all, but every month he cuts me a cheque so I can pay my rent and buy food. Glad that he has me on his medical plan, too. Of course, he claims me as a dependent every year when it's time to file his taxes. So the Man of Steel does get something from the deal. With so many dependent on him, in fact, the Caped Kryptonian doesn't have to worry anymore about the taxman demanding a billion dollars in back taxes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I saw a review of Superman Doomsday and it brought up some interesting questions. The review suggests that in that movie the people of Metropolis seems totally dependent on Superman and have learned nothing really important from his example. So in the comics, does Superman inspire people to be better or just ends up making them dependent on him?

Here is the review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wie-ZeCX_nA
    Does Superman inspire people or just make them dependent on him? Ultimately that's for people, as individuals, to decide.

The real question is whether or not Superman should be held responsible for what the public does? If people grow overly dependent on calculators for mathematics and GPS for travel should we hold their inventors responsible? I say "No" because we are adults and at some point we must hold ourselves responsible for... ourselves.

I think for the most part, he does inspire people. The best example of this in recent comics is Superman Unchained. In that book, he was able to inspire someone like Wraith to do the right thing. I think his ability to inspire is by far Superman's greatest power. It might not always show because writers tend to focus on him beating up aliens, monsters, etc. But I think he does inspire and I don't see how he can make people "dependent" by doing what he does. If anyone has an example, then I'd love to see it because I can't recall any.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Right after "our worlds at war", there was a story dealing with rebuilding what was damaged/destroyed in owaw. Luthor yells at Superman for not doing the rebuilding himself, reasoning that Superman's power would make it easy work. Superman explains that he does not want humanity dependent on him for everything. Luthor does not buy the argument, & basically calls Superman a lazy jerk. Or something like that.
    Only to be silenced by Donny a construction worker whom Superman saved his life. Donny told Luthor that Superman was "doing us a favor by not doing what we are supposed to do. Rebuild our own homes" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Only to be silenced by Donny a construction worker whom Superman saved his life. Donny told Luthor that Superman was "doing us a favor by not doing what we are supposed to do. Rebuild our own homes" or something like that.

We seem to be among the very few who remember this story. Less than four years later azarello writes Lex as claiming Superman is bad for humanity because he makes humanity dependent on him. Basically Lex is drastically altered, yet most of the fans on these boards insist that Lex was always written the way azarello wrote him. Adjustable memories, I suppose.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm totally dependent on Superman. He doesn't inspire me at all, but every month he cuts me a cheque so I can pay my rent and buy food. Glad that he has me on his medical plan, too. Of course, he claims me as a dependent every year when it's time to file his taxes. So the Man of Steel does get something from the deal. With so many dependent on him, in fact, the Caped Kryptonian doesn't have to worry anymore about the taxman demanding a billion dollars in back taxes.
    Dammit. He lied to both of us. He told me I was the only one.

I like someone's previous comparison to religion. Within the context of the world setting, Superman may inspire but people have to act upon that inspiration. I think of a character like John Henry Irons as someone who acted on it in a super heroic fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    We seem to be among the very few who remember this story. Less than four years later azarello writes Lex as claiming Superman is bad for humanity because he makes humanity dependent on him. Basically Lex is drastically altered, yet most of the fans on these boards insist that Lex was always written the way azarello wrote him. Adjustable memories, I suppose.
    well remember that at the time Lex was acting president. He pretty much saw Superman as an active he as president could use at his discretion. When Superman refuse to play ball he attempted a grand stand just to be shot down by humble Donny the construction worker. If I'm not mistaken (which I am not) Lex's claim that Superman is hindering humanity's progress goes back to Elioth S! Magging Last son of Krytpon. We all know deep down is just Lex being petty and reaching for straws.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

This is a very interesting question, but it could have many different answers.

Firstly, is Superman an inspiration? He aims to be. That's why he wears bright colours and has such a friendly and approachable personality. However, are people inspired by their heroes? For example, let's say that someone donated millions of dollars to foreign aid. They'd be an insphumanity But would that inspire you to try and cure world hunger? Unlikely.
    But out of all of the people Superman has saved, have any of them become better people, or changed the world? No, they haven't. But the fact that they are human, and that they have the potential to do those things is good enough for Superman, because that is the message he sends.
    One could argue that Superman cancels out his own message. You could say that people don't need to change the world, because Superman could do it for them. But one day Superman won't be here. And that's where Lex Luthor comes in.
    Lex beleives in human potential. He beleives that humanity can reach Superman level intellect and kindness on their own. He beleives that humans should find the potential to change the world inside themselves-within their minds.
    In a sense, Superman and Lex are both working towards the same goal. However, Superman believes that humanity needs an example, while Lex beleives that humans should become their own examples.

Of course, this debate could go on forever, but one day, Superman won't be here. He could leave, or die. Then humanity will be faced with a choice. Become Supermen through our minds, and change the world, like Lex would, or become Supermen in our hearts, so that there is a small chance that someone else could potentially become one too.
    Superman is a hero that humanity needs, but he lived in the hope that one day, that so many people would beleive in what he believed in, he wouldn't be needed any more.

In summary, people rely on Superman now, but both Superman and Lex hope that one day, they won't have to.
    Last edited by Mighty Roman; 12-19-2014 at 05:41 PM.

I totally remember OW@W and the ramifications of that. And if memory serves, Lex was already on the whole "Superman is a crutch humanity cant afford" trip, but during that particular scene you guys are discussing, he jumped to the other side of the argument for the sake of grand standing.

Basically, Lex will use whatever argument he can to justify his hatred and envy of Superman. It has nothing to do, really, with what is best for humanity; its all about Lex and his ego. If Superman were not a consideration, Lex would be doing a lot more to ensure that we were dependent on him. That's most of his beef with the Big Red "S" to begin with; people look up to Superman instead of Lex.

As for Mighty Romans, you have a decent argument except for a couple points. We've seen on several occasions where Superman's actions have inspired people. John Henry Irons comes to mind, as does the woman who recently died in Superman/Batman (and she was a Easter egg for two other characters from different continuities). Superman talked her out of suicide, and she went on to become a massively popular pop star whose music in turn inspired countless teens. And that's just two people who have both affected millions of others just off the top of my head. Then there are the various cults that we've seen Superman inspire, and although those people are more than a little insane, we can easily construe from their example that many others must have taken a more sane approach in how they've been inspired by Superman. We've also seen more than a few heroes who put on a cape because of Clark, Super-Chief in Chris Roberson's Superman run, Kara, Superboy, the aforementioned Steel....and all of them have inspired others. Hell, the Federation of Planets in the 31st century was built, in part, on Superman's example and the Legion of Super-Heroes owes their existence to Superman.

And Lex, as I mentioned, has little interest in inspiring anyone, or in seeing humanity reach its potential on its own. What he really wants is a humanity that reached its potential by following him. Lex's only true motivator is his ego; everything else is justification.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It can be argued that it is both

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    It can be argued that it is both
    It can be. And Lex does have some good points and a strong argument. But ultimately his arguments are used to further his own ego moreso than any noble causes he might champion. Lex' selfishness is one of the main things that prevents him from being the hero he sees himself as.

~ Black Panther.