Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Its as if more than half the batline is written by children bashing their action figures together.
    Ha. I wish this wasn't so right on the nose, but the dukefest in this issue fits your description to a t.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979
    And our boy is back.
    Wish I could feel better about that.

This was a paint by numbers resurrection.

And now he's got super powers?

Ugh. Just ugh.

Wish they would have stayed the course and just gone with another Robin.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Sure Bruce resurrected Damian but what the hell is the League going to do in the coming Darkseid War? That Hellbat armor was amaze-balls and would have easily helped the league defeat Darkseid. Now it is completely gone and Darkseid is going to invade. Guess we have to rely on Diana and Clark.

That aside, great issue. Darkseid was defeated but his defeat was framed in such a way as to retain his evil cred. "I'm groggy and I have to deal with this meddling human!? I haven't even had my space coffee yet! AAARGH! He's pulling on my limbs... Ugh, I should have hit the snooze button!"

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Sure Bruce resurrected Damian but what the hell is the League going to do in the coming Darkseid War? That Hellbat armor was amaze-balls and would have easily helped the league defeat Darkseid. Now it is completely gone and Darkseid is going to invade. Guess we have to rely on Diana and Clark.

That aside, great issue. Darkseid was defeated but his defeat was framed in such a way as to retain his evil cred. "I'm groggy and I have to deal with this meddling human!? I haven't even had my space coffee yet! AAARGH! He's pulling on my limbs... Ugh, I should have hit the snooze button!"
    exactly. And who cares about Darkseid? I'm glad he got hid ass handed to him. The Batgod is the only god you need.

This was a quest. A journey to hell and back to resurrect a fallen hero.

HAHA at those that only see a fight comic. Or can't appreciate the visual feast by Gleason and team.

Overall it was okay. The BatGod wank was eye rolling but I'll suffer though that if it means Damian is back. So it was well worth it. Plus I am glad the Hell Batsuit was destroyed. It was a bit too far out there for my linking and I hope that Johns doesn't mention it in his Darkseid War story. I don't think he will. If Batman is going to best Darkseid in anything it shouldn't be in an actual fight but in a game of wits or something. Leave the punching to Superman.

Still, I will say that I really enjoyed the lead up to them going to Apocalypse. All those weird team ups, like with Titus and Frankenstein, were really fun and really made me interested in the B&R book again after the weird mourning Damion issues were very inconsistent in terms of quality. Though when they actually got to Apocalypse I think the quality dipped a bit. It felt sort of rushed and a little messy, and I was disappointed in how underutilized the Batman family and Cyborg were here. But I am looking forward to seeing Damian again and how they use him with superpowers now. I hope he doesn't keep them for very long but an arc or two could be fun.

I do think Damain with powers will make some fun stuff. Probably like you said for 6-12 issues.

Will allow for more "with great power come great responsibilty"

Any ideas if this creative team will continue for more than 6 more months?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I do think Damain with powers will make some fun stuff. Probably like you said for 6-12 issues.

Will allow for more "with great power come great responsibilty"

Any ideas if this creative team will continue for more than 6 more months?
    We'll have to wait two more months before we get the post-Convergence solicits.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Entertaining issue as long you don't start thinking too much about what happened.

Damian's resurrection carries a lot of unpleasant implications for the bat family a whole, those being Dick and Jason. Everyone believes Dick is dead and the whole thing should be a massive punch in the gut for Jason.

Of course, it's highly unlikely anyone will pick on those threads so yeah.

BANNED

Well, Tomasi is well aware of the situation with Dick, given his appearance in #34 right after Bruce's "no more secrets" speech. How he will address it is the question. As for Jason, I doubt it, as his role in this arc has been Batsoldier #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    So, first off, that's "never" in answer to my questions then?

And secondly, how many times have Flash or Green Lantern been made suits by the entire League that let them take on Darkseid?

My beef, and that of most others, is not with The Fictional Character Batman. I like The Fictional Character Batman.

Any "beef" I have is with the writing.

As you've pointed out, the same sin is not commited by anyone else.
    Of course they're not going to get to do the things Batman does, they're not as popular as he is. I doubt GL or Flash vs the JL or GL or Flash vs Darkseid stories would sell as well as Batman vs JL or Batman vs Darkseid. This is still a business and Batman makes more money than GL and Flash. Would you complain about Superman getting impressive feats like benching the weight of the Earth for 5 days while Martian Manhunter doesn't? Superman's the most popular DC powerhouse so it makes sense he'll get better feats than the other powerhouses.

And GL has a a ring that can do anything he imagines and Flash can run FTL they don't need a special suit to help them. Batman on the other hand has no powers so it makes sense he'd need a suit like the Hellbat to take on someone like Darkseid.

And others do commit similar "sins" I already mentioned how Batman fighting Superman is called PIS but Lex having tech that can kill an army of Kryptonians isn't. Or how Superman can deal with the super humanly smart Brainac but Lex who isn't even super humanly smart is a threat to him on a regular basis. If Bruce is Batgod and Lex has more ridiculous feats than him what does that make Lex?
    Last edited by The True Detective; 12-17-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

Wow, this was as god awful and ham-fisted a comic book resurrection as I have ever seen.

I just look forward to Damien being back, even if I find him and Bruce a bit redundant together.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Whoa I really thought this was going to involve Bruce making some deal with Darkseid, or using his wits to rescue Damian. Nope, this just ended with Batman punching Darkseid in the face and walking out. That's full on crazy.

This book is just far too crazy to not enjoy the hell out of it. I guess Darkseid is really busy doing over-long dragged out event weeklies, so he was just like "eh whatever give the guy back his son, I need a nap".

I enjoyed this for what it was. Even if Red Robin's awful design just bothers me whenever it pops into a panel of otherwise beautiful art.

Oh the Batgod.

Tomasi should have at least had Darkseid smile fiendishly at the end and have one of his "all part of the plan" moments. But New 52 Darkseid isn't the same brilliant schemer that he always used to be.

I'm just happy Gleason got rid of that gold crap on Darkseid's helmet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Of course they're not going to get to do the things Batman does, they're not as popular as he is. I doubt GL or Flash vs the JL or GL or Flash vs Darkseid stories would sell as well as Batman vs JL or Batman vs Darkseid. This is still a business and Batman makes more money than GL and Flash. Would you complain about Superman getting impressive feats like benching the weight of the Earth for 5 days while Martian Manhunter doesn't? Superman's the most popular DC powerhouse so it makes sense he'll get better feats than the other powerhouses.

And GL has a a ring that can do anything he imagines and Flash can run FTL they don't need a special suit to help them. Batman on the other hand has no powers so it makes sense he'd need a suit like the Hellbat to take on someone like Darkseid.

And others do commit similar "sins" I already mentioned how Batman fighting Superman is called PIS but Lex having tech that can kill an army of Kryptonians isn't. Or how Superman can deal with the super humanly smart Brainac but Lex who isn't even super humanly smart is a threat to him on a regular basis. If Bruce is Batgod and Lex has more ridiculous feats than him what does that make Lex?
    Lex is smarter than Bruce, he's the smartest man on the planet.

His feats are bigger because he's going up against Superman, who is stronger than Bruce. And he's (usually) a villain, not a hero who's selling point in these things is that he has no powers which supposedly should make him an underdog.

Lex used to be the smartest man on the planet. Now its pretty much
    1. Batman
    2. not batman
    3. not batman

BANNED

and so Damian is finally brought back. he was only dead for 19 issues, but still i feel DC took a loooooong time to bring him back.

i hope the superpower manifestation thing is only temporary. and i hope we get a Robin ongoing soon. maybe in June?