Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Pak Takes "Action Comics" to "Horrorville," Discusses Superman's 'Joker'

Greg Pak talks about placing Smallville and Superman in the middle of a horrific situation, and why the Man of Steel needs his own 'Joker.'

Full article here.

Boisterously Confused

I'm dubious of the possibilities here. A large part of why the Joker works is not because he's "incomprehensible", but because he's such a raw juxtaposition against Batman in every meaningful way.

Batman is methodical where is the Joker is manic. Batman's identity is well known (to the reader) and endlessly mined, where the Joker's is a mystery. Batman's goals are impossibly large where the Joker's tend to be frighteningly attainable.

In other words, the Joker works as the "level" of threat that Pak describes because his characteristics contrast with Batman's. If you tried to map those characteristics onto, say, a Central City superspeedster, what you'd get is one more Flash Rouge with a different gimmick. In a similar manner, that quality of incomprehensibility does not contrast as well against Superman. We've already both Luthor and Brainiac for that.

The current television version of the Flash is demonstrating that everything by DC doesn't have to be Batman in tone and approach. Superman doesn't need to be either.

As some of us say, "In Pak we trust"

I agree that a straight up superpowered version of Joker would fall fairly flat when set against Superman, but reading between the lines a little, I think Pak might understand that. Batman represents absolute order, Joker's an agent of chaos. So what does Superman represent? Most would say hope. So his natural opposite could easily be considered a force of despair. I thought about that the other day, and here we see this new villain being called "The Unknown Terror." I havent picked up the latest Superman/Batman issues yet, so this interview was the first time I had seen that name used. And it gives me some hope that Pak isnt just giving Superman an evil, superpowered clown to deal with, but is delving into Superman's actual, metatextual opposite force.

Of course, until I have a chance to actually read the stories, its all just conjecture. But Pak seems like he knows what he's doing with Superman; he's earned my trust until he screws up so much so often he loses it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Amazing Member

I'm having fun reading Action, so I'm looking forward to seeing whats up.

Wish I had money for AC.

All-New Member

Pak is the man. Paktion Comics will be expert.

Incredible Member

Loving this Batman/Superman arc. Can't wait to see what's next!

Really like what Pak is doing in Action Comics with Smallville, but I'm not sold on Superman having a "Joker" type villain. There's only one Joker. I don't think every hero needs one. Besides, I thought characters like Mr. Mxysptitlic filled that role to an extent. And with the Joker coming back in the Batman comics, I think it's doomed to get overshadowed to some degree.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Boisterously Confused

My point is, Superman doesn't need an unpredictable enemy to give him an arch-foe. He's already got the unpredictable in Myx, and the polar opposite in Luthor. Maybe it will be done well, but I don't think fans should get ready for a foe that's going to enter the meta-textual library along side Luthor, Sinestro and the Joker.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The current television version of the Flash is demonstrating that everything by DC doesn't have to be Batman in tone and approach. Superman doesn't need to be either.
    yeah, somebody could think about this.

I saw a review that said that batman/superman has stories makes no sense, so why don't have a villain that doesn't make sense too(a la joker)? lol pretty spot on comment.

Action still has to become interesting

Amazing Member

Action has been miles better than B/S, which only seemed to get back on track with the last issue. Superman's Joker could have been an interesting villain in his own right, but with Batman in the picture, it would only invite comparisons with the real deal and that wouldn't end well for the new character, whoever he (or SHE) is.

The only time Action hasn't been interesting since the relaunch was the couple issues Jurgens wrote.

And I don't really see this villain as trying to make Superman more Batman-like. "Superman's Joker" I see as just a loose term used to describe the type of personality this Superman level foe has, along with being a buzz word to promote the story. From a practical standpoint, I see the goal as simply giving Superman an insane villain, and using a compare and contrast with Batman's arch-nemesis (as Batman share's this title), as the platform to introduce him/her. I don't see any attempt to "Batman-ize" Superman's mythos here.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The only time Action hasn't been interesting since the relaunch was the couple issues Jurgens wrote.

And I don't really see this villain as trying to make Superman more Batman-like. "Superman's Joker" I see as just a loose term used to describe the type of personality this Superman level foe has, along with being a buzz word to promote the story. From a practical standpoint, I see the goal as simply giving Superman an insane villain, and using a compare and contrast with Batman's arch-nemesis (as Batman share's this title), as the platform to introduce him/her. I don't see any attempt to "Batman-ize" Superman's mythos here.
    People said the same thing about Toyman back in the 90's. And the only "Batman-izing" that happened was Superman got an interesting foe who was different from the rest of his rogues gallery. Superman didn't start becoming dark and broody and emo (that took another decade or so) or acting like a complete, superior jackass. There was no Batman-izing at all. But you know how people are with their knee-jerk reactions sometimes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

well more drama, targeting people who superman loves, dark...for me it is pretty batman-like

Its not Batman-like at all. This arc is far and away a Superman-themed story with Batman ensconced in his world.