forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default good First Comics runs

Can anybody recommend some good First Comics (the publisher from the 80s) runs? I've loved what I read from them and am looking for more stuff like that. I've already read chunks from GrimJack and American Flagg! and I'm planning on getting Jon Sable. I'm looking to get the single issues so unfortunately I can't get Dreadstar because the single issues are expensive. I've been eyeing Badger and Nexus. Any other runs I should look out for?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I have the first 40 issues of Jon Sable, and can highly recommend it so far. I've heard that the last issues aren't good, but I plan to get those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    I have the first 40 issues of Jon Sable, and can highly recommend it so far. I've heard that the last issues aren't good, but I plan to get those as well.
    Unrelated question but have you read the later run called just Sable by a different writer?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

There already is a thread about First Comics. http://community.comicbookresources....m-First-Comics
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 12-16-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Unrelated question but have you read the later run called just Sable by a different writer?
    Not yet. I have the two minis from IDW. I've heard that the second Jon Sable series is supposed to be rather boring, but the plan was to have that series as well.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

If you already have AF! and Grimjack and plan to get Jon Sable, then Nexus is the best book you haven't read. The Michael Moorcock adaptations are also worth a look-- Titan is putting out an omnibus early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    There already is a thread about First Comics. http://community.comicbookresources....m-First-Comics
    Oh nice, didn't know that.

Thanks for the advice guys! Probably gonna grab those Nexus omni's and maybe Mars.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I really liked early Flagg, Grell's Jon Sable, early Grimjack, (& was it First which first published Lone Wolf in English?), but best of all for me was
    Mars, by Hempel and Wheatley.
    Definitely not for everybody, as it is (ahem) 'cartoony' and jumps a good bit in time and ideas, but in terms of strong likeable characters, wild ideas and fast pace--just wow.
    First Adventures, an anthology almost always was entertaining.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet