Page 1 of 81 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Sorry I'm Late!: Barry Allen Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is dedicated to the one and only Barry Allen, the Fastest Man Alive! As a staunch supporter of peace in Flash fandom, I thought this thread would be a good place for Barry fans to discuss the character without the stain of the recent Wally West controversy. To inaugurate this thread, some pictures!

Last edited by Pharozonk; 06-12-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Looking back on it, Barry probably had one of the strongest runs (heh) during his time. It tapered off a little towards the end but I loved a whole lot of his pre-Crisis comics.

Barry's just a terrific character as well. He embodies what I consider the ideal superhero: modest, humble, determined, and selfless. He's got it all down. Except being punctual.

The first issue of The Flash I can remember reading passed on by my next door neighbor!

flash201.jpg
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

Gritty & Realistic Member Hatestorm's Avatar

Paul Walker would've made a good Barry Allen.

I really like Barry, I feel he is the most human character in comics. I will miss the recent run on the book since it was consistently great every issue, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else will happen too. I'm probably controversial in that I'm actually happy with the new changes for Wally too xP

Since Barry isn't going to be in the Justice League it seems any time soon, do you think he'll show up in another team at any point? Maybe he'll work with ARGUS and team up with Killer Frost as a nod to Caitlin Snow being in the upcoming show

I love Barry Allen. He's a great guy. He is a nice, kind, sweet, smart man.

Mighty Member

I always liked Greg Weisman's take on Barry as portrayed in the Young Justice animated series. This quote was in response to a poster who thought that Greg was giving Wally West's JLU personality to Barry in Young Justice. There is so much truth to this and it is very relevant because it is a false claim that I have seen made often whenever Barry is given a sense of humor.

"For Barry, I think it's VERY safe to say that the Wally West of JL and JLU had pretty much NO influence on us. Cuz, you know, we were doing WALLY in the show too.
    But Cary Bates, who wrote a huge chunk of Barry's adventures before Crisis on Infinite Earths, is one of my best friends, and he always made Barry a little goofy. A little bit of the boy scout, who still had that Flash fanboy in him, i.e. the guy who was inspired by Jay Garrick. We made that literal in our series... and we extended it into his personality. He likes catchphrases, even if he knows they make his wife and friends groan. He's a goody-two shoes and a happily married man and a scientist and a forensics expert and generally this slow, methodical but deeply honest guy, who likes his life and so is pretty at ease with his own sappiness.
    He's NOT a smart-ass, which of course, Wally can be at times. And personally I don't think we portrayed him AT ALL like Wally.
    But it's out there. If that's what you saw, we'll just have to agree to disagree."
    -Greg Weisman

http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=18093

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It hasn't been emphasized in the new continuity, but one big part of Barry Allen's appeal is that he's one of us...a comic book fan. He understands that passion, but not in the twisted way that Superboy Prime does. If Superboy Prime represents the fanboy nightmare, Barry represents the comic fan's dream come true...the ordinary man taking part in extraordinary adventures.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Always Rakzo

Yep, Barry Allen is the ultimate comic fanboy who any of us would want to be like (at least that's my case).

One of the kindest persons of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It hasn't been emphasized in the new continuity, but one big part of Barry Allen's appeal is that he's one of us...a comic book fan. He understands that passion, but not in the twisted way that Superboy Prime does. If Superboy Prime represents the fanboy nightmare, Barry represents the comic fan's dream come true...the ordinary man taking part in extraordinary adventures.

Buried, are you still a moderator?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Also, I'm slightly depressed by the fact that I have more posts than someone who has been a part of CBR since 1996.

What is everyone's favorite Barry Allen comic? For me it's this:

It has everything I could want in a good Flash comic: time travel, Professor Zoom, and great character moments.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Also, I'm slightly depressed by the fact that I have more posts than someone who has been a part of CBR since 1996.
    Hey, well, it's the New 52 CBR. All of that is back in the old continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Buried, are you still a moderator?
    No, I've retired...or been retired. Same difference.

BANNED