Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    So it seems there is going to be a Flash/Green Lantern movie coming up in 2017. Is anyone else interested to see how WB plays out a Barry/Hal team up in live action?
    Hope they really amp up the sci-fi aspect if they go that route. Really emphasize them as the time/space team. Of course, this might risk the movie actually being fun, and the good people at WB would never let something like that go unchecked. So expect plenty of bonding over the fact that THEIR PARENTS ARE DEEEAAAD.
    Buh-bye

Yikes, I can only imagine that half the movie will be about Barry and Hal whining about their daddy issues.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Sci-Fi sure. Some outer space stuff and maybe in the second film they can meet up with The Atom and take a trip into the Time Pool. The more the merrier. Space Ranger and Hawkman and The Zeta Beam from Rann. Expand that Universe.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Yikes, I can only imagine that half the movie will be about Barry and Hal whining about their daddy issues.
    I'm waiting for WB to pair Barry and Hal up with the Road Runner and Green Loontern.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Jesus! Why is that such a prevailing theme with so many goddamn characters? It was difficult for me to come with ten characters with a living father, who while there relationship is not perfect there father in not, a super villain, dead, a crazy A-Hole, or in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Jesus! Why is that such a prevailing theme with so many goddamn characters? It was difficult for me to come with ten characters with a living father, who while there relationship is not perfect there father is not, a super villain, dead, a crazy A-Hole, or in jail.
    You can blame batman, or marvel, whatever floats your boat, it makes the characters "more interesting and realistic" if the characters are moody, broody, and angsting over their dead/jackass parents, god forbid well adjusted people with loving supportive families get superpowers.

"He's/she's a mary sue, they can't have all those amazing powers, a moderate to high IQ, a decent job, a middle class lifestyle and have living parents who love and care for them!!! THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE EVER!!!!!!11!"

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    You can blame batman, or marvel, whatever floats your boat, it makes the characters "more interesting and realistic" if the characters are moody, broody, and angsting over their dead/jackass parents, god forbid well adjusted people with loving supportive families get superpowers.

"He's/she's a mary sue, they can't have all those amazing powers, a moderate to high IQ, a decent job, a middle class lifestyle and have living parents who love and care for them!!! THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE EVER!!!!!!11!"
    I often bring up Japan (KAMEN RIDER), and I will again on how to do superheroes if not right, then at least better: in the most successful Japanese superhero franchises, we NEVER hear anything about the heroes' families. We know nothing about Shin Hayata's (the original Ultraman) or Takeshi Hongo's (the original Kamen Rider) parents. We assume they had parents because they were human beings before gaining cosmic/cyborg superpowers, but their family backgrounds had NO impact on their heroic adventures. Basically, these guys simply gained powers and became superheroes. Both have spearheaded franchises whose popularity has endured for decades.

U.S. superhero writers in comics and film could do some great stuff if they didn't have this strange sense of obligation of copying other people's cliches.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-13-2014 at 10:56 AM.

BANNED

Look at the earliest Superheroes. Superman. Birth parents killed when his home planet went up. Batman. Parents killed by mugger in front of him as a child. When the entire medium is pretty much a riff off those two heroes in one aspect or the other, you get that. It's an easy way to create drama.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Look at the earliest Superheroes. Superman. Birth parents killed when his home planet went up. Batman. Parents killed by mugger in front of him as a child. When the entire medium is pretty much a riff off those two heroes in one aspect or the other, you get that. It's an easy way to create drama.
    As a counterpoint to my own earlier point (and to support yours), even in the Japan, the "no dead parents" idea didn't survive past the second Kamen Rider. KAMEN RIDER V3's story originated with Kazami Shiro's parents and younger sister murdered by Destron's (no relation to the GI JOE entity of the same name) cyborg monsters. Subsequently, Kazami was converted into Kamen Rider V3 by the first two Kamen Riders and dedicated his life to avenging his family and protecting the world from Destron.

That was back in 1973. Two years later, in KAMEN RIDER X (the third series), the title character's father was murdered by the enemy in the first episode.

So I suppose the trope isn't really new or culture-specific, but that being said, there's no need to go that well *every* time.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-13-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I often bring up Japan (KAMEN RIDER), and I will again on how to do superheroes if not right, then at least better: in the most successful Japanese superhero franchises, we NEVER hear anything about the heroes' families. We know nothing about Shin Hayata's (the original Ultraman) or Takeshi Hongo's (the original Kamen Rider) parents. We assume they had parents because they were human beings before gaining cosmic/cyborg superpowers, but their family backgrounds had NO impact on their heroic adventures. Basically, these guys simply gained powers and became superheroes. Both have spearheaded franchises whose popularity has endured for decades.

U.S. superhero writers in comics and film could do some great stuff if they didn't have this strange sense of obligation of copying other people's cliches.

Did you ever read archaia's Cyborg 009? I got it in print and in digital. I loved it that much. I really want them to do a follow up or a Kamen Rider series, I would love a kamen rider series.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Did you ever read archaia's Cyborg 009? I got it in print and in digital. I loved it that much. I really want them to do a follow up or a Kamen Rider series, I would love a kamen rider series.
    There's a manga called KAMEN RIDER SPIRITS that gives us a deeper look at the Showa-era Riders. It's quite good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Hope they really amp up the sci-fi aspect if they go that route. Really emphasize them as the time/space team. Of course, this might risk the movie actually being fun, and the good people at WB would never let something like that go unchecked. So expect plenty of bonding over the fact that THEIR PARENTS ARE DEEEAAAD.
    If they use the Ryan Reynolds characterization from the GL film for Hal. And use the JLU/CW show version of The Flash. They just need to have Hal and Barry behave like two dude bro's, bonding over trucks, air-head girls, wrestling and video games. In fact, you can count on that type of characterization for any future film/tv show in order for it to be a counterpoint to Batman and the Snyder's more serious version of Superman.
    Last edited by Mia; 06-14-2014 at 07:20 AM.

So Barry is going be getting friendzoned by Iris West for most of the series? I don't know if I like this development for the show...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=662754540483519
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member

Generally in these types of shows two characters remain friends for a long time and pass through a period of will they/ won't they period before they get together. It's just how things work in these types of shows.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

So Barry is going be getting friendzoned by Iris West for most of the series? I don't know if I like this development for the show...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=662754540483519
    Clark Kent endured it for decades, so why not?