Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Thoughts on the new creative team? I'm thinking of picking it up, but I haven't been wowed from their Green Lantern run thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Thoughts on the new creative team? I'm thinking of picking it up, but I haven't been wowed from their Green Lantern run thus far.
    Their work is alright, nothing to write home about
    But so far what I read from them involves time travel, until this is over I won't give a proper judgment
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Reading some old Superman comics got me thinking of an old debate: Should the Flash be faster than Superman or does it undermine Superman as a character?

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Reading some old Superman comics got me thinking of an old debate: Should the Flash be faster than Superman or does it undermine Superman as a character?

It only undermines Superman if you believe some of his fans who coincidentally have a bit of a Super-inferiority complex.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Not at all. No matter how much faster Flash is than Superman, Flash isn't *Superman*, with all that that entails. Flash is not strong enough to lift a car with his bare hands, let alone move planets. Flash isn't invulnerable and can't tank a mountain being dropped on him, the way Superman can. Flash can't see through walls, view things at microscopic size, or in great detail far into deep space. The Flash is the Fastest Man Alive...faster than Superman, but Superman is still all-around superior to the Flash and most other DC characters.

Conversely, if Superman were as fast or faster than the Flash, what would that make Flash...the Second Fastest Man Alive? The Co-Fastest Man Alive (though that's what happens when we have multiple Flashes operating at the same time like we used to).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-18-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Not at all. No matter how much faster Flash is than Superman, Flash isn't *Superman*, with all that that entails. Flash is now strong enough to lift a car with his bare hands, let alone move planets. Flash isn't invulnerable and can't tank a mountain being dropped on him, the way Superman can. Flash can't see through walls, view things at microscopic size, or in great detail far into deep space. The Flash is the Fastest Man Alive...faster than Superman, but Superman is still all-around superior to the Flash and most other DC characters.

Conversely, if Superman were as fast or faster than the Flash, what would that make Flash...the Second Fastest Man Alive? The Co-Fastest Man Alive (though that's what happens when we have multiple Flashes operating at the same time like we used to).

Not surprisingly, I agree with BA (and I have always liked Superman better than Flash, FWIW).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Far as I'm concerned, Superman should be just plain stupid fast on top of all the over ways he's ideally OP, able to break the light barrier with no sweat hopping backwards on one foot...but Flash should be much, much faster still. It's his thing.

Also, those are three of my favorite panels ever. Didn't like Flash Rebirth as a whole, but that was great.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Haha I remember when the old DC Boards erupted into flames when that issue came out. Geoff Johns is systematically destroying Superman!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Far as I'm concerned, Superman should be just plain stupid fast on top of all the over ways he's ideally OP, able to break the light barrier with no sweat hopping backwards on one foot...but Flash should be much, much faster still. It's his thing.
    My thoughts exactly...

All-New Member

Who was it that said if a superhero has one particular power (like super-speed) then they should be better at it than someone who has that power as part of a broader skillset? I think that should definitely go for the Flash and Superman. In fact I'd be perfectly fine if Superman isn't the best at any of his abilities—it's just the fact that he has so many that makes him so powerful.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Violence View Post
    Who was it that said if a superhero has one particular power (like super-speed) then they should be better at it than someone who has that power as part of a broader skillset? I think that should definitely go for the Flash and Superman. In fact I'd be perfectly fine if Superman isn't the best at any of his abilities—it's just the fact that he has so many that makes him so powerful.
    I think he should be the strongest, at least among the DC heroes, as he was created as "the dude who is insanely strong and uses that strength to help people". Any other aspects of his powerset, it's probably not a big deal if someone surpasses him.
    Buh-bye

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I think he should be the strongest, at least among the DC heroes, as he was created as "the dude who is insanely strong and uses that strength to help people". Any other aspects of his powerset, it's probably not a big deal if someone surpasses him.
    Superman should absolutely be portrayed as the strongest and the most durable, and within the top five in most other categories.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    You can blame batman, or marvel, whatever floats your boat, it makes the characters "more interesting and realistic" if the characters are moody, broody, and angsting over their dead/jackass parents, god forbid well adjusted people with loving supportive families get superpowers.

"He's/she's a mary sue, they can't have all those amazing powers, a moderate to high IQ, a decent job, a middle class lifestyle and have living parents who love and care for them!!! THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE EVER!!!!!!11!"
    What I always find interesting, is just how much this copycatting of Batman... REALLY makes Bruce look like a loser

Spiderman, Daredevil, All Robins... Now Flash! They ALL lost their family figures, He's the only who turned abjectly bitter and morose to everyone around him.

The only REAL difference is... Bruce was filthy stinkin' rich :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    What I always find interesting, is just how much this copycatting of Batman... REALLY makes Bruce look like a loser

Spiderman, Daredevil, All Robins... Now Flash! They ALL lost their family figures, He's the only who turned abjectly bitter and morose to everyone around him.

The only REAL difference is... Bruce was filthy stinkin' rich :P
    Bruce is 'morose' to everyone around him due to her personality and temperament. He's a highly serious man. He would only be a loser if he had decided to take his money and done nothing with his life . He runs a business and he dedicates his private life to help others. That is far from a loser, in my view.

I love that moment
    A Flash being faster than Superman won't undermine Superman, it will only better support "The Fastest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Not at all. No matter how much faster Flash is than Superman, Flash isn't *Superman*, with all that that entails. Flash is not strong enough to lift a car with his bare hands, let alone move planets. Flash isn't invulnerable and can't tank a mountain being dropped on him, the way Superman can. Flash can't see through walls, view things at microscopic size, or in great detail far into deep space. The Flash is the Fastest Man Alive...faster than Superman, but Superman is still all-around superior to the Flash and most other DC characters.

Perfectly said
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage