Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    What I always find interesting, is just how much this copycatting of Batman... REALLY makes Bruce look like a loser

Spiderman, Daredevil, All Robins... Now Flash! They ALL lost their family figures, He's the only who turned abjectly bitter and morose to everyone around him.

The only REAL difference is... Bruce was filthy stinkin' rich :P
    He's not abject or bitter. And none of those characters you cite actually had their parents shot in front of them as a kid and then had to sit in an alley watching them bleed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Bruce is 'morose' to everyone around him due to her personality and temperament. He's a highly serious man. He would only be a loser if he had decided to take his money and done nothing with his life . He runs a business and he dedicates his private life to help others. That is far from a loser, in my view.
    Nicely put.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    You can blame batman, or marvel, whatever floats your boat, it makes the characters "more interesting and realistic" if the characters are moody, broody, and angsting over their dead/jackass parents, god forbid well adjusted people with loving supportive families get superpowers.

"He's/she's a mary sue, they can't have all those amazing powers, a moderate to high IQ, a decent job, a middle class lifestyle and have living parents who love and care for them!!! THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE EVER!!!!!!11!"
    I'm not entirely sure why you put "more interesting" it in quotes, because it's true. It just is. Underdogs, flawed characters, are always going to have far more mass appeal. This is something ingrained into the mentality of humanity- that kind of character against the odds is actually a fairly accurate depiction of how the human race has been so successful, so you know, it's an innate thing we recognise and it's one of the oldest story traditions.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 06-19-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    He's not abject or bitter. And none of those characters you cite actually had their parents shot in front of them as a kid and then had to sit in an alley watching them bleed out.
    Sure, there may be an 'age' thing. Bruce was pretty young. And really, his motivations change with the writers. Sometimes its all about survivor's guilt, sometimes its just mental trauma.

Spider-man actually "IS" to blame for Ben's death. He had the power to stop it before it happened... Daredevil actually did have powers at the time, and still got to 'see' his dad bleed out in an alley...Robin 1 actually did have his parents die in front of him too...

Superman? I always thought 'my parents/planet is dead' didn't hold much water since he had no memory of them in the first place. He had a loving home he grew up in. But yeah... 'Parents taken by violence' is the second most common origin there is. There really isn't an excuse to handle it the way he has over the years...

First is of course the lame mutant 'born this way'...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I'm not entirely sure why you put "more interesting" it in quotes, because it's true. It just is. Underdogs, flawed characters, are always going to have far more mass appeal. This is something ingrained into the mentality of humanity- that kind of character against the odds is actually a fairly accurate depiction of how the human race has been so successful, so you know, it's an innate thing we recognise and it's one of the oldest story traditions.
    I put it in quotes because I always thought that was kind of a cop out. Some heroes can still be underdogs without all that pesky angst. Like Blue Beetle before the reboot, or Wally West. Everyone doesn't need to have an antagonistic relationship with their families, I'm not saying that it has to be perfect like the cosbys, but to me it's just tiring to see everyone trying to be like batman.

I was re-reading JLA Year One last night and its portrayal of Barry Allen is really fun. It's probably my favorite aside from New Frontier and Cary Bates' work with the character.

"In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

After year one, waid also did Flash and Green Lantern: The Brave and the Bold mini series which sort of evolved from year one with the same writer and artist and that series is more flash concentrated.

Default Leaked Pilot came out and IT'S AWESOME!

I am literally blown away. There are several changes from the Flash mythos from the comics, but nothing that stopped me from enjoying it.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 06-25-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Gustin's Barry is spot on from the comics. Whoever's playing him in the movies is going to have a tough time competing.

That teaser at the end is just beyond cool. Who'd have ever thought they would tease that on a TV show?

Astonishing Member

Kind of weird how the guy playing Thawne looks more like Barry Allen than the guy playing Barry Allen.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Which avatar should I use next? I'm having trouble deciding.

barry allen 2.jpg

barry allen 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Which avatar should I use next? I'm having trouble deciding.
    I like 1 better, but honestly... I really like the professor zoom one

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I like 1 better, but honestly... I really like the professor zoom one
    Haha I like the Zoom one too, but I've had since the old forums and I think a change is in order.

That ending doe... Did anyone read the headline under the main one? Mind = blown

That pilot was really great. They captured Barry's character really well, so just for that I'm happy despite a few other minor problems here and there.

And those teases. The ending especially is leading me back to an earlier prediction I made about a certain character.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Barry Allen, the fastest murderer alive. He could have easily saved that guy from that car flying through the fog but he bailed. Also, all the damage he caused to those cars by running next to them... unacceptable!

P.S. Before I get crucified, I'm kidding here. Just bringing in the wrongful kind of bashing MOS style.