Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should Spider-Man go back to being more street level?

Maybe it's just me, but I REALLY miss the good street level stories that Spider-Man is historically and traditionally known for.

Lately, he is dimension hopping across multi-verses, building an army of knock-off Spider men and women, and going back into all the terrible "mystic totem poll" and superhuman vampire crap that made JMS' ASM run so terrible toward the end.

Maybe I am just getting old, because a lot of young readers tend to really dig all this stuff, but "Amazing Spider-Man" and the stories that it has been telling lately really just don't feel anything like Spider-Man anymore, in my opinion.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, although it seems like pretty much everyone around these boards is loving the direction that Spidey and ASM is going in now. I'd love to hear what people on both sides think.

Me too. I have always thougt Spider-man works best as a street level character, but I fear we are stuck with Spider-Verse Spider-Man. It seem to be popular with the masses.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

BANNED

The great thing about Spidey is that there's room for all sorts of stories. You still got street-level stuff before 'Verse, and sounds like you'll be getting some after. Everyone goes home happy.

BANNED

I like spiderman in dimensions since its comics and what not but I love the mor street level base. It's very much his playground that made things alot more natural especially the bit where in the the expanded retelling of amazing fantasy where he first encountered a gang related incident and was in total panic of nearly dying in a shoot out. Total gritty and gang related feel. It's something that TASM films have gotten right especially the spectacular spiderman. Everything feels like a crime that always plays in the streets.

BANNED

Also just to add that since we'll be getting spidey in the MCU I'm afraid that the starting point will feel more like the marvel universe than a basic spiderman street level type deal just to the into the avengers(god I hope not-_-)

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I REALLY miss the good street level stories that Spider-Man is historically and traditionally known for.

Lately, he is dimension hopping across multi-verses, building an army of knock-off Spider men and women, and going back into all the terrible "mystic totem poll" and superhuman vampire crap that made JMS' ASM run so terrible toward the end.

Maybe I am just getting old, because a lot of young readers tend to really dig all this stuff, but "Amazing Spider-Man" and the stories that it has been telling lately really just don't feel anything like Spider-Man anymore, in my opinion.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, although it seems like pretty much everyone around these boards is loving the direction that Spidey and ASM is going in now. I'd love to hear what people on both sides think.
    Well, you have Spider-Man: Spiral, announced last week, to scratch that street-level itch.

He remains street level in his own book outside of the occasional huge Spider-Man stories like Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth and Spider-Verse. Even if characters like the Avengers, the X-Men or F4 guest star in his book, adventures spanning beyond street are mainly reserved for those books without getting in the way of his solo adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    Also just to add that since we'll be getting spidey in the MCU I'm afraid that the starting point will feel more like the marvel universe than a basic spiderman street level type deal just to the into the avengers(god I hope not-_-)
    Color me a little concerned that, if Spidey ends up entering the Marvel Universe, he will start working for SHIELD. Or SHIELD will be watching him very closely and trying to keep his heroics in check. All of the heros in the MU at this point are pretty much sanctioned to operate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Color me a little concerned that, if Spidey ends up entering the Marvel Universe, he will start working for SHIELD. Or SHIELD will be watching him very closely and trying to keep his heroics in check. All of the heros in the MU at this point are pretty much sanctioned to operate.
    Ugh, does everything have to be connected to the avengers and shield? That never happened before. Thanks to the avengers everything needs to be connected to the avengers and shield and thanks to the Parker's spiderman needs to be related to shield abd avengers. I really don't give a crap. I just want to see something good abd something interesting. I don't want to see a trilogy where the supporting casts get shafted just so they can make room for peters parker as spiderman and making him involved in the marvel universe instead of just a more grounded, gangland soap opera type series. I hope that won't be the case because I had enough of the movie rosters and shield symbols abd hydra. I thought it was bad in the 616ujiverse but it seems that they're pushing alot to the ultimate universe as well. A long time ago I used to say"oh look the avengers". Now thanks to the time it's now "oh god! The avengers! Go away! Get out of here! Leave me alone" and when involving civil war "oh look. They are building up to one of the most craptacilar arcs in marvel comics. Gee I am so excited-_-" because you know that along time ago they hated the event. And now they love it for some reason.

BANNED

It depends, unlike batman, daredevil and Moon Knight, Spidey cam easily overpower his opponents if there peak human enemies and has a genius iq bordering on Tony starrk/tchalla level and has feats of showcasing the resources he has for them so street crime fighting seems beneath him based on what superior spiderman has shown.

I feel the streets in spidey's world has to accustom to spiderman's power level to stand a chance. Or spidey seems like a self righteous heroic bully. On the other hand spidey doing batman type crime solving seem out of character to me, Spidey is a exuberant and impulsive hero who is too bright hearted and fun for the crime elements that Spidey noir seem to pull off.

I say spidey should stick to action adventure thriller instead of action mystery thriller like Batman and Daredevil.

So basically option 1 being the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and option 2 being Peter's time in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic.

QFT. Of all the things that the Marvel movie universe has done right (and there are many), one thing I really don't care for is the overbearing influence of SHIELD. Somehow it almost takes away from the characters' heroism to know they are, at least in some sense, working for the government and not just doing things on their own. It takes away some of the wonder of the universe, too. But, back to the OT...

Yes, definitely...that's the Spidey I grew up on and that's the one I will always consider "real".
    Last edited by electr1cgoblin; 12-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.

BANNED

one of the things the raimi films missed is that spiderman is more of a street level hero. he is not some hero like superman who is seen idolized by many nor meant to be this sweet kid who is meant to never evole much into a person. he's this guy trying to do good things, have fun but at the end of the day has to face some tough shit and that would forever torture him when growing up like how an actual person is like. he's very clever, sneaky and agile. he has fun swinging around the city stopping gangs and robbers. he's always mucking up the kingpin's plan. he always teams up with daredevil, moon knight, iron fist, luke cage, black cat, misty knight and other street level heroes just to foil guys like the purple man, the owl, kingpin, tombstone, the sinister six, crime master, etc. most of his encounter with gangs are a much threatening one. hell, in his first encounter in the expanded retelling of amazing fantasy 15-17 the first thing he did was telling some crime boss to stop what he's doing and then orders his men to shoot him. he was scared out of his mind doing this. he almost got killed. he almost got killed a bunch of times always bullets firing at him and just fighting in the allyways and abandoned warehouses. fighting off guys like hammerhead, crimemaster, kraven, scorpion, hobgoblin, etc. it's basically what TASM films got rights especially for TASM 2(you know for a movie sony forced marc webb to do with surprising great parts with andrew stealing the spotlight and their chemistry being gorgeous). spiderman mostly fights things in the street. the tone for the character fits. it's why scenes with him and the kid, coming home with brusies and fighting gangs in the allyway were some of ther best parts in the trilogy especially swinging everywhere in the street. since oscorp was tioed into this and i was expecting if TASM films were to continue i was hoping that the sinsiter six, black cat and probably venom would involve some gang related crimes including a hopefully possible continuation in a show. but thanks tro sony's surprisingly idiotic plans for the movies thank to the leaks that probably wouldn't even happen.

i for one hope they release both directors cut versions of the films.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    one of the things the raimi films missed is that spiderman is more of a street level hero. he is not some hero like superman who is seen idolized by many nor meant to be this sweet kid who is meant to never evole much into a person. he's this guy trying to do good things, have fun but at the end of the day has to face some tough shit and that would forever torture him when growing up like how an actual person is like. he's very clever, sneaky and agile. he has fun swinging around the city stopping gangs and robbers. he's always mucking up the kingpin's plan. he always teams up with daredevil, moon knight, iron fist, luke cage, black cat, misty knight and other street level heroes just to foil guys like the purple man, the owl, kingpin, tombstone, the sinister six, crime master, etc. most of his encounter with gangs are a much threatening one. hell, in his first encounter in the expanded retelling of amazing fantasy 15-17 the first thing he did was telling some crime boss to stop what he's doing and then orders his men to shoot him. he was scared out of his mind doing this. he almost got killed. he almost got killed a bunch of times always bullets firing at him and just fighting in the allyways and abandoned warehouses. fighting off guys like hammerhead, crimemaster, kraven, scorpion, hobgoblin, etc. it's basically what TASM films got rights especially for TASM 2(you know for a movie sony forced marc webb to do with surprising great parts with andrew stealing the spotlight and their chemistry being gorgeous). spiderman mostly fights things in the street. the tone for the character fits. it's why scenes with him and the kid, coming home with brusies and fighting gangs in the allyway were some of ther best parts in the trilogy especially swinging everywhere in the street. since oscorp was tioed into this and i was expecting if TASM films were to continue i was hoping that the sinsiter six, black cat and probably venom would involve some gang related crimes including a hopefully possible continuation in a show. but thanks tro sony's surprisingly idiotic plans for the movies thank to the leaks that probably wouldn't even happen.

i for one hope they release both directors cut versions of the films.
    Hasn't he been depicted as being admired by the populace despite Jameson's slandering in the comics?

agreed. and itd be nice to see more of a balance in peter's personal life