Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hasn't he been depicted as being admired by the populace despite Jameson's slandering in the comics?
    well yes, but for years he's been attacked by the people and is still controversial to everyone. scaring kinds and adults, getting thrown by fruits and cans and even bricks, getting shot by the police, pinned down by the police, cursed at, yelled at, kicked in the knee, spit at, all that rough crap. i felt sad seeing that. that's something both films missed and i believe that would've been the approach webb got for him if he had freedom. TSSM had the same thing but at least it made sense since yellow journalism could get the bugle into trouble. i hope to see that in the possible reboot. ugh. i hate sony so much-_-

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    It depends, unlike batman, daredevil and Moon Knight, Spidey cam easily overpower his opponents if there peak human enemies and has a genius iq bordering on Tony starrk/tchalla level and has feats of showcasing the resources he has for them so street crime fighting seems beneath him based on what superior spiderman has shown.

I feel the streets in spidey's world has to accustom to spiderman's power level to stand a chance. Or spidey seems like a self righteous heroic bully. On the other hand spidey doing batman type crime solving seem out of character to me, Spidey is a exuberant and impulsive hero who is too bright hearted and fun for the crime elements that Spidey noir seem to pull off.
    I disagree with this. I don't understand why people think that Spidey being street level means he only has human thugs with guns and knives to beat up on. Last time I checked, guys like Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, Carnage, and the Lizard were all super powered, and they always gave Spidey trouble in a fight. You mentioned Batman, but even Batman---a street level hero who has no powers at all---has recurring members of his rogue's gallery who are super powered, like Clayface, Man-Bat, and Mr. Freeze, and even when he faces them his stories are STILL street level. So keeping Spidey grounded in his street level roots and telling street level Spidey stories does not mean he only has to face human muggers whose only means of defense against him are guns, knives, and regular human-level punches that he could dodge and counter in his sleep. Some of us just like our Spider-Man to stay in his lane and stay grounded, rather than having Dr. Who and Doctor Strange types of stories, like he is having now in Spider-Verse. These days, it feels more like I'm reading about a mystical vampire-fighting timelord with an army of clones instead of Spider-Man, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 12-15-2014 at 08:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I disagree with this. I don't understand why people think that Spidey being street level means he only has human thugs with guns and knives to beat up on. Last time I checked, guys like Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, Carnage, and the Lizard were all super powered, and they always gave Spidey trouble in a fight. You mentioned Batman, but even Batman---a street level hero who has no powers at all---has recurring members of his rogue's gallery who are super powered, like Clayface, Man-Bat, and Mr. Freeze, and even when he faces them his stories are STILL street level. So keeping Spidey grounded in his street level roots and telling street level Spidey stories does not mean he only has to face human muggers whose only means of defense against him are guns, knives, and regular human-level punches that he could dodge and counter in his sleep. Some of us just like our Spider-Man to stay in his lane and stay grounded, rather than having Dr. Who and Doctor Strange types of stories, like he is having now in Spider-Verse. These days, it feels more like I'm reading about a mystical vampire-fighting timelord with an army of clones instead of Spider-Man, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
    Spidey too me was never as realistic as daredevil stories. Batman isn't realistic either he is supposed to be human and grounded in comparison to other dc heroes but look at what he's accomplished with a bank account and human willpower. Spidey is supposed to be relatable but he's beyond his attitude and human perspectives because he's stronger, faster, and smarter than most of his cast with powers than defy reality for a street leveler. Superior Spidey is like a refuted evidence of everyone who says spidey is to normal and grounded for marvel big time heroics same with end of the earth.

Even some of Peters enemies are too powerful for simple bank heists and new york terrorism. It's just some of them dont t utilize there full potential due to most of them being short sighted and dumb as **** logs. Doc Ock as spidey could have ruled new york and most of the planet if he wasn't constantly trying to prove he was better than spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Spidey too me was never as realistic as daredevil stories. Batman isn't realistic either he is supposed to be human and grounded in comparison to other dc heroes but look at what he's accomplished with a bank account and human willpower. Spidey is supposed to be relatable but he's beyond his attitude and human perspectives because he's stronger, faster, and smarter than most of his cast with powers than defy reality for a street leveler. Superior Spidey is like a refuted evidence of everyone who says spidey is to normal and grounded for marvel big time heroics same with end of the earth.

Even some of Peters enemies are too powerful for simple bank heists and new york terrorism. It's just some of them dont t utilize there full potential due to most of them being short sighted and dumb as **** logs. Doc Ock as spidey could have ruled new york and most of the planet if he wasn't constantly trying to prove he was better than spidey.
    I still disagree. And this time, you mention Superior Spider-Man, but to me, Superior Spider-Man---while entertaining as a short change of pace---just proved how closely Spidey could be written like Batman and why he never should be written like Batman. Then he just becomes a Batman ripoff instead of Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 12-16-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Color me a little concerned that, if Spidey ends up entering the Marvel Universe, he will start working for SHIELD. Or SHIELD will be watching him very closely and trying to keep his heroics in check. All of the heros in the MU at this point are pretty much sanctioned to operate.
    SHIELD as it was before has been scrapped (Captain America and Co saw to that in Winter Soldier).

I really hope it stays that way.

Even the movies acknowledged their overbearing influence.

(Forgive me if there are any typos, I just got out of an almost nnine hour Hobbit marathon and my brain is fried.)

One of the great things about Spider-Man is his versatility. A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about what makes Spidey unique. There were lots of different responses, but all of them were right, because he has something for just about everyone.

I remember when some fans said the character got too dark during the Civil War period. Then came Brand New Day, which tried to tell more lighthearted and fun stories. Then came the Gauntlet with stories like Shed and Grim Hunt.

The pendulum always swings back the other way if you wait long enough. The next Spider-scribe may very well write stories that are right up your alley.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I feel like Lee did Rocky, and Slott is on Rocky IV.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but I REALLY miss the good street level stories that Spider-Man is historically and traditionally known for.

Lately, he is dimension hopping across multi-verses, building an army of knock-off Spider men and women, and going back into all the terrible "mystic totem poll" and superhuman vampire crap that made JMS' ASM run so terrible toward the end.

Maybe I am just getting old, because a lot of young readers tend to really dig all this stuff, but "Amazing Spider-Man" and the stories that it has been telling lately really just don't feel anything like Spider-Man anymore, in my opinion.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way, although it seems like pretty much everyone around these boards is loving the direction that Spidey and ASM is going in now. I'd love to hear what people on both sides think.
    You say lately there been alot of AU stories but really that's just Spider-verse. Street level was the first 6 issues with electro and blackcat. Plus all of superior was street level. I love street level adventures so I am, with you there. Plus con ways gang war coming up is right up your ally
    X-Men Forever

Yeah Spider-Verse is one story only. 90% of the time, Spidey has been street level under Slott's pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post

The pendulum always swings back the other way if you wait long enough. The next Spider-scribe may very well write stories that are right up your alley.
    Yeah, but when will Slott finally step aside and let a new writer take over? 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Yeah Spider-Verse is one story only. 90% of the time, Spidey has been street level under Slott's pen.
    This is true. I guess Spider-Verse just feels endless right now. Also, I think Slott's Electro/Black Cat arc was terrible, and it still has Silk and that mystic Spider-totem crap all throughout it that takes Spider-Man too far from his street level roots. Heck, that's what led to Spider-Verse in the first place.

Astonishing Member

This is true. I guess Spider-Verse just feels endless right now. Also, I think Slott's Electro/Black Cat arc was terrible, and it still has Silk and that mystic Spider-totem crap all throughout it that takes Spider-Man too far from his street level roots. Heck, that's what led to Spider-Verse in the first place.
    What might have been a fun 6-issue ASM story arc would be a Mysterio and Mystique partnership against Spider-Man in connection to Wilson Fisk...

He should definitely have more space adventures.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    He should definitely have more space adventures.
    You know what might have been cool was to see Cosmic Spider-Man(Captain Universe alternate version) and Captain Marvel(Carol Danvers) work together in their their space adventures. Too bad Slott decided to kill him off.

Moon Knight is a mercenary possibly brought back from the dead to become the warrior avatar of an ancient god. Few people would argue he's not a street level superhero.