Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    He should definitely have more space adventures.
    Agreed, and more alien foes other than symbiotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Moon Knight is a mercenary possibly brought back from the dead to become the warrior avatar of an ancient god. Few people would argue he's not a street level superhero.
    That's fine, but Spider-Man is not Moon Knight. That's part of the point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    He's not Moon Knight, but he is more powerful and versatile to the point of being on multiple genres of fiction context.

Sci fi, slice of life, magic, mystery and action adventure.

You stated mysticism took away from the street level part of the character. I presented a counterargument about a street level character with plenty of mysticism tied into his mythos. Now if you were talking science, that's a different argument altogether.

You stated mysticism took away from the street level part of the character. I presented a counterargument about a street level character with plenty of mysticism tied into his mythos. Now if you were talking science, that's a different argument altogether.
    It does when it comes to Spider-Man. That's not Spider-Man's style of street level. That's why I said TRADITIONAL street level Spider-Man stories are what I missed. And while I'm at it, since you like mysticism mixed with your street level stories and since that other guy keeps going around the forum talking about how Spider-Man is too overpowered for street level stories, Morlun is WAY too powerful a villain for Spider-Man to fight and is totally out of his league (and no, pitting a Spider-Army against him doesn't make that any better), but that's a different gripe...
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 12-17-2014 at 01:43 PM.

It does when it comes to Spider-Man. That's not Spider-Man's style of street level. That's why I said TRADITIONAL street level Spider-Man stories are what I missed. And while I'm at it, since you like mysticism mixed with your street level stories and since that other guy keeps going around the forum talking about how Spider-Man is too overpowered for street level stories, Morlun is WAY too powerful a villain for Spider-Man to fight and is totally out of his league (and no, pitting a Spider-Army against him doesn't make that any better), but that's a different gripe...
    It still does not make it non-street level. It takes place in a street level setting. However it is approached doesn't negate this.
    The rest are largely subjective statements and I think it's better to agree to disagree and call it a day.

It still does not make it non-street level. It takes place in a street level setting. However it is approached doesn't negate this.
    The rest are largely subjective statements and I think it's better to agree to disagree and call it a day.
    Do you understand what the word "traditional" means? You can make Superman street level by putting him in stories that "take place in a street setting," but that still doesn't mean that those types of stories---street level or not---will be a good fit for him as a character. It's the same thing with Spider-Man; when you start introducing heavy mysticism into his background and stories, you start taking Spidey away from what he is best known for and the types of stories that made him so popular and beloved and shaped his character and universe. That's a large part of why JMS's ASM run was so polarizing to so many people.

Those are not TRADITIONAL street level stories, and I'm not a fan of "mystic" street level heroes anyway because the entire concept of mysticism makes the whole thing too easily feel more like a cheap vampire B-movie or low grade horror story than street level super heroics, which is why Spider-Verse and JMS' s polarizing totem poll stuff revolves around the whole concept of Morlun and super powered (over powered) vampires in the first place.

I wasn't a fan of those types of stories for Spider-Man when JMS was doing them, and I'm not now. If I want to read about a guy whose street stories are full of mysticism, dark forces, etc. then I'll go read Moon Knight or old school Spawn. Or even old school Dr. Strange. Keep mysticism and dimension hopping out of my Spidey stories, please.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 12-17-2014 at 05:10 PM.

I don't think he necessarily has to. I like that the streets are always "home" to spidey in the sense that he can go on a big adventure in space, or jump through the multiverse, or anything like that but still return to the streets. To me, he's a street hero who gets swept up into bigger things from time to time and that's okay.
    "Once you're an avenger, it never fails. Sooner or later, the time comes when it's your turn to step up to the plate. Just make sure you're ready"

Do you understand what the word "traditional" means? You can make Superman street level by putting him in stories that "take place in a street setting," but that still doesn't mean that those types of stories---street level or not---will be a good fit for him as a character. It's the same thing with Spider-Man; when you start introducing heavy mysticism into his background and stories, you start taking Spidey away from what he is best known for and the types of stories that made him so popular and beloved and shaped his character and universe. That's a large part of why JMS's ASM run was so polarizing to so many people.
    I do understand the meaning of traditional, thank you. You're taking my "Takes place in a street setting" far too literally though. It involves everything that happens in that setting, not just the setting itself.

Once again, whether the mysticism takes away from the mythos or not doesn't mean it takes away from it being street level. It might take away from your enjoyment of it but that's not quite the same. I could also just as well it doesn't take away so much as it adds up to the already established renderings of the Spider universe.

Those are not TRADITIONAL street level stories, and I'm not a fan of "mystic" street level heroes anyway because the entire concept of mysticism makes the whole thing too easily feel more like a cheap vampire B-movie or low grade horror story than street level super heroics, which is why Spider-Verse and JMS' s polarizing totem poll stuff revolves around the whole concept of Morlun and super powered (over powered) vampires in the first place.

I wasn't a fan of those types of stories for Spider-Man when JMS was doing them, and I'm not now. If I want to read about a guy whose street stories are full of mysticism, dark forces, etc. then I'll go read Moon Knight or old school Spawn. Or even old school Dr. Strange. Keep mysticism and dimension hopping out of my Spidey stories, please.
    Once again. All subjective. I'm not even sure if any reply I might make will make for a suitable response or your expectations of it...

I mean no offense, but you sound a bit harsh. Relax.
    Last edited by Webhead; 12-17-2014 at 06:19 PM.

resident of wakanda

I think spidey needs the street level stuff and the dimension hopping stories. They play off of each other and thats what makes him so great he can go into a big universe scale problems and approach it with a street level view or figure out a street level issue with a universal approach. Both experiences help make spidey who he is currently so both are needed almost equally

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'd like a better mix between the street stuff and all the other non-street level stuff. Maybe we need a secondary title for the street stuff?

what people did Marcy Kane belong to, when she turned out to be an alien princess? That needs to be followed-up on, for sure.

BANNED

Spidey I sorta view as Mario. He can be anything, as long as it doesnt stray from the character from its overall basis.