Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Not even sure what to say. So many people took the words out of my mouth about how awesome Edward is. I'd also like to say, when drawn right, he can be quiet good looking. I really kind of liked the idea of the riddler becoming a detective to out maneuver batman. It was something different for him, and yes he is very under utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Not even sure what to say. So many people took the words out of my mouth about how awesome Edward is. I'd also like to say, when drawn right, he can be quiet good looking. I really kind of liked the idea of the riddler becoming a detective to out maneuver batman. It was something different for him, and yes he is very under utilized.
    I completely agree.

I REALLY liked that direction as well, and I'm kind of miffed about Zero Year pretty much making that particular development impossible in the New 52 continuity. Post Crisis I could buy that people would accept Riddler back into regular society, but after having taken over Gotham and thrown people into lion pits for not being able to answer riddles... Another kettle of fish entirely.

Spectacular Member

Dark Knight Dark City is out now for Riddler fans.

Quoted for truth. That was so awesome. I really hated when that ended. Dini was killing it with Riddler as a detective.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Spectacular Member

P.I. Riddler was always one of those things I wanted to like but never really could. There are people who can make detective stories enthralling, but sadly, I don't think mid-2000s Paul Dini was one of them.

When it comes to "reformed" Riddler, though, I always thought the Templeton/Slott take in the DCAU comics set the bar astronomically high.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberLotus View Post
    P.I. Riddler was always one of those things I wanted to like but never really could. There are people who can make detective stories enthralling, but sadly, I don't think mid-2000s Paul Dini was one of them.

When it comes to "reformed" Riddler, though, I always thought the Templeton/Slott take in the DCAU comics set the bar astronomically high.
    I agree about the actual detective angles on the stories not being fantastic (it's hard to kick off and resolve a compelling mystery in 22 pages, and Dini seldom came even close to it), but the general setup with Riddler on the same side as Batman but still very much a rival is just so great. It's the 48hrs forula, just without the need for contrived storytelling to get Riddler out of Arkham and find some sort of common motivation to work with Batman and the law for each and every adventure.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm pretty excited for:
    http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...93-the-riddler

Riddler will now have 2 collections of various stories, along with Batman: Featuring Two-Face and the Riddler. He's catching up to Joker in that regard. Penguin has only arguably one such trade. Two-Face has 2 (which is appropriate). Scarecrow has one (Scarecrow Tales). Ivy has none. Croc has none.

The new collection has a Brave and the Bold 183, a really underrated Riddler story from the Bronze Age. Batman 362 has never been reprinted before and is a good Bronze Age story.

Really disappointed Batman 263 didn't make the cut. Like Joker's Five Way Revenge, that story was basically Riddler's first Bronze Age story. This story has only been reprinted in little old digest I have.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-27-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Tricks are for Knights

The Riddler's spooky obsession with word-games and mind-riddles makes him representative of real-life code-constructing serial killers such as the infamous Zodiac killer from the 1960s-1970s.

What is it about riddles that makes the Riddler the perfect icon of 'crime story brainstorming?'

The Zodiac

depp-riddler.jpg

Question The Amnesia Ledger

The Riddler is Gotham City's most dastardly villain.

Unlike the Joker who thinks mischief/mayhem is funny and the Penguin who thinks crime is inspiring and the Scarecrow who thinks terrorism is practical, the Riddler finds ways to confuse the innocent, simply because he thinks vertigo is a weapon.

I like finding stories of the Riddler scheming to rob funds from Gotham (i.e., banks) to endorse ideas about finance miscalculation.

The Riddler is the Bat-villain that is most like a James Bond villain (i.e., Goldfinger).

Goldfinger

riddler.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm pretty excited for:

Riddler will now have 2 collections of various stories, along with Batman: Featuring Two-Face and the Riddler. He's catching up to Joker in that regard. Penguin has only arguably one such trade. Two-Face has 2 (which is appropriate). Scarecrow has one (Scarecrow Tales). Ivy has none. Croc has none.

The new collection has a Brave and the Bold 183, a really underrated Riddler story from the Bronze Age. Batman 362 has never been reprinted before and is a good Bronze Age story.

Really disappointed Batman 263 didn't make the cut. Like Joker's Five Way Revenge, that story was basically Riddler's first Bronze Age story. This story has only been reprinted in little old digest I have.
    Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this. I can't help but think that what Scott Snyder did with the Riddler in Zero Year played a contributing factor in bringing this to fruition because it certainly did wonders in reinvigorating the Riddler. I would love to see Daniel Wallace do a visual history on the Riddler like he did with the Joker.

I'm pretty excited for:

I will definitely be picking up 2 copies of this. One for me and one for my brother. Thanks for sharing JBatmanFan05!
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I'm pretty excited for:

Thanks for pointing this out. Preordered.

The Riddler has always been one of my favorite Bat-villains along with Joker, Two-Face, and Mr. Freeze, and is possibly my favorite now (Joker has had too much exposure/play for a long while). He has more style/panache then most of the others, he's not super violent but not necessarily a joke either, I love that he prefers to play on a more cerebral level than the other villains, and his goals are usually a bit more relateable or understandable to me. I may not approve of his villainy, but I get it unlike with Joker or Two-Face. And he does have style.

I think I prefer it when he's more down to earth, not doing the summer blockbuster type schemes like in Zero Year but something smaller, yet still an effective force to be reckoned with. One of my favorite Batman stories is Long Halloween, but I don't like how he was portrayed there. Batman the Animated Series might have done it best from what little I remember so long ago, but the Adam West series was also very good and had the best dressed Riddler.

Just rewatched BTAS episodes of his. All great.