Incredible Member

Default What would Superman think of Jack Bauer ?

Both characters are obviously obsessed by doing the "right thing". But doing the "right thing" for Jack is not the same thing as Superman doing the "right thing". Jack is not a by the book type of character. Jack breaks the rules all the time. Jack only cares about results. If Bauer thinks killing, torturing or simply letting people die are things necessacy to save countless of innocent lives he will do all these things in an heartbeat. At the other end, Superman obviously cares about winning the fight but he also cares about winning the moral fight since he wants to inspire people to do better. Getting "results" is simply not enough for Superman. Jack Bauer is all about getting the job done. Opinions ?
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 12-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Jack Bauer is one of my favorite characters ever and I think he is the most badass character to ever be on TV but...

Superman would hate Bauer. Jack often threatens to murder the family members of suspects, tortures prisoners for information, and commits violent acts "for the greater good". This is all completely different from Superman's way of operating. The guy makes Batman look like a boy scout

I was thinking about Superman the other day in the context of this whole torture revelation that was unleashed. What would Superman think about it? He is an idealist. It goes not only against our laws but our very principles. He would say how we can't stoop to their level, etc. Whether it was or was not necessary and whether it seemed to be necessary or not would be irrelevant. That's how he would react to a character who uses such methods.

Interesting question. I feel like the pre flashpoint Superman would have a more difficult time dealing with Jack Baur, but the New 52 Superman would be a bit more understanding in some cases.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    Interesting question. I feel like the pre flashpoint Superman would have a more difficult time dealing with Jack Baur, but the New 52 Superman would be a bit more understanding in some cases.
    New 52 Superman would understand Jack Bauer actions ? Really ? I don't read Superman comics so what make you think that ?

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

He would probably think that Jack was another Kryptonian as he has to be faster than a speeding bullet to get all of that stuff done in twenty-four hours.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

I think Superman would understand that different from him Jack doesn't have super powers (Just like Hitman aka Tommy Monaghan) so he gets into situations where the only way out is killing the bad guys and choosing the lesser of several evils. However he wouldn't approve torture and the threatening of innocents in order to get results.
    He would also know that torture is not as effective as Fox wants us to believe.

Boisterously Confused

Depends on the Superman you're talking about. The one from 1938-1941/the first couple of issues of Nu52 Action Comics had no problem tossing criminals hundreds of feet in the air and letting them wonder if he was going to let them splatter as an interrogation technique. That's torture.

All the others would probably find Bauer reprehensible.

That's not torture but enhanced interrogation tactics. :P

Jack Bauer = Batman and Superman <3 Batman so therefore Superman <3 Jack Bauer. Math.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Jack Bauer = Batman and Superman <3 Batman so therefore Superman <3 Jack Bauer. Math.
    Not sure even Batman would like Jack. If Bauer was in Gotham, the moment Joker started acting up, he would have put a whole round of bullets in him

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Not sure even Batman would like Jack. If Bauer was in Gotham, the moment Joker started acting up, he would have put a whole round of bullets in him
    In fact, I would expect Jack Bauer to clean up most of Gotham in 24 hours by killing almost all of Batman rogues gallery except for Killer Croc and Bane because well they are bulletproof. The Court of Owls and the League of Assassins are different beasts above Bauer pay grade. But I can see Bauer killing Poison Ivy. So yeah, Bruce would not like Jack at all since Batman workload would be reduced drastically.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 01-07-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Same thing he thought about Manchester Black.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Jack is probably smart enough to stay the **** away from Superman when he gets the idea of hunting bad guys in metropolis, maybe this will force him to team b up with lex to lay low and stay within the law where superman is not within limits to pry.