Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Santa's speed.

Default Santa's speed.

Since it is that time of year again, I thought I'd make a "festive" based thread. Asking you all just how fast would both Santa and his sleigh have to be in order to visit each house on the planet in a single night.

Now of course there are many factors to this. Such as how many of those houses would have people that even believed in the guy anymore. However this scenario is taking place in a universe where everyone believes in Santa(which is reasonable considering the fact that if he were real then you'd have a bunch of presents or coal in your house despite never putting them there in the first place, and it would only happen during Christmas so it be impossible not to really believe in such a thing after that) and he has to visit every house on earth that have people living in it.

Remember; it isn't only the nice that gets gifts, as those who are naughty get coal, thus they get a visit as well. And children aren't the only ones getting presents so even homes with no kids in it will be getting something. As for houses, apartments, etc that don't have chimneys? Ever watch "The Santa Clause" movies with Tim Allan in it? That's what happens. So they get a visit too.

So just how fast would ole Saint Nick and his Nine(Rudolph)Reindeer have to be going in order to get to every house, apartment, etc on the entire planet in just a single night?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Since it is that time of year again, I thought I'd make a "festive" based thread. Asking you all just how fast would both Santa and his sleigh have to be in order to visit each house on the planet in a single night.

Now of course there are many factors to this. Such as how many of those houses would have people that even believed in the guy anymore. However this scenario is taking place in a universe where everyone believes in Santa(which is reasonable considering the fact that if he were real then you'd have a bunch of presents or coal in your house despite never putting them there in the first place, and it would only happen during Christmas so it be impossible not to really believe in such a thing after that) and he has to visit every house on earth that have people living in it.

Remember; it isn't only the nice that gets gifts, as those who are naughty get coal, thus they get a visit as well. And children aren't the only ones getting presents so even homes with no kids in it will be getting something. As for houses, apartments, etc that don't have chimneys? Ever watch "The Santa Clause" movies with Tim Allan in it? That's what happens. So they get a visit too.

So just how fast would ole Saint Nick and his Nine(Rudolph)Reindeer have to be going in order to get to every house, apartment, etc on the entire planet in just a single night?
    Science of Santa
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Ehh that goes on the assumption that he is using some sort of present launcher. In my scenario he lands on each building, gets out, goes into the building, drops of the presents and/or coal, gets out, then does it again at the next house over.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Ehh that goes on the assumption that he is using some sort of present launcher. In my scenario he lands on each building, gets out, goes into the building, drops of the presents and/or coal, gets out, then does it again at the next house over.
    Drag factor on that gut of his isn't really taken into consideration either.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

DC Comic Santa was so uber he delivered Darkseid coal every year. Always, to his face.

Besides all the other presents.

As for "Holiday" Santa. It's extremely fastas itcounts to everyone who believes and actually does Christmas.

Honestly, should have given him a staircase.

Dudebro in the back behind DS though ... his mind has been blown. Such is the wonder of the holidays you humans seem to enjoy.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

Honestly, should have given him a staircase.

Dudebro in the back behind DS though ... his mind has been blown. Such is the wonder of the holidays you humans seem to enjoy.
    Dude is fast enough to visit everyone in the galaxy or universe in a single night it seems o_o.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Perhaps its more teleportation and/or time manipulation than outright speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Perhaps its more teleportation and/or time manipulation than outright speed.
    Not in this thread. And stories always make it out to be speed, not teleportation.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

BANNED

Not in this thread. And stories always make it out to be speed, not teleportation.
    Still not as quick as the Shrike.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I always pegged Santa more for a Crystal Meth kinda guy, myself.

What?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    Still not as quick as the Shrike.
    Yeah, but does the Shrike give all the worst kids on the planet flammable rocks at the same time?

BANNED

He has to be light speed. He can't stay in any given town more than a couple seconds at most if you really think about it. He has from sundown to sun up to be out of every single region. The physics of it would be nuts. He needs to be in a sleigh going multiple levels of lightspeed, it needs to park on the house (which sounds useless) and he needs to get out at lightspeed, do his thing, and return.

To give a sample size, if in the United States he spent one minute in each county (3144 including county equivalents) he basically went 2 and 1/6 days. Which is a fail. So even by that logic 30 seconds is still way too much. With the time difference he could probably pull 10-15 seconds (an the latter is pushing it) and just finish. Also a county can range from anywhere from 82 (the lowest) to 82 to almost 10 million (Los Angeles county). This isn't even figuring distances between houses and the logistics of entering and exiting. He's obviously going well above lightspeed to pull this off. And this is just one country which roughly has 1/21 of the world's population.

He has to deliver presents to over 7 billion people in a 24 hour span. Just using 7 billion as a base, if you gave him a second per person it would take him 221 (a lot closer to 222) years. And in itself is going really fast. If he allotted each person 100,000th of a second, he could get it done in 19 and a half hours. And that's if they were literally all in a row, not accounting for distance between them and how he gets in and out. Just taking out the present for a person. And again you have to up even that for the concept of him flying, parking, stoping, getting in, delivering the present, getting out, getting back in the sleigh, starting again.

Nice math lance!

I just thought of something, and I am surprised it just came to me. He technically has to do every building in the span of two nights. It is also night in Asia during the day. So basically he would have to start at one end of the earth, and as the morning comes, hits the other areas where it just became night.

How does that add in with the math?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral