Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman needs to have an impossible adventure

I mean it. It's time for him to do something that's beyond what we're usually seeing in his comics(a lot of lowballing. not always, but yeah)
    Batman is invading freaking Apokolips and destroying everyone, he's going to fight Darkseid. And Superman ....yeah.

We need to have an arc bigger than life to show everyone who's boss.

But how can they stress Superman's endless limitations if they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    I mean it. It's time for him to do something that's beyond what we're usually seeing in his comics(a lot of lowballing. not always, but yeah)
    Batman is invading freaking Apokolips and destroying everyone, he's going to fight Darkseid. And Superman ....yeah.

We need to have an arc bigger than life to show everyone who's boss.

Not only does Superman need to have impossible adventures. Superman villains (Lex Luthor, especially) need to be doing impossible things.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

We need cosmic Superman adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post

I second this.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

I'm happy to see i'm not the only one thinking about this. See, i love Superman being the hero of the people just as much as the next guy, im a big fan of those moments when he's catching a cat on the tree, or talking to some kids, or just being a good guy. But seeing the other superheroes adventures, it seems like Superman is being overlooked.

I believe we need some epic arc, comisc if possible. Some enemie that only he can defeat, something like that. Im tired of playing his weaknesses, ''oh look he's only one man he can't do everything'' ''Superman is not that super'' while other heroes are doing...well, heroic things every issue.(i wont beat around the bush but Batman soloed the League, Lantern pre flashpoint had lots of events around him, a big up in his powers).

And what about the Man of Steel? He's the hero the other superheroes call when they're in trouble!

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I feel like we have been getting some of this. The Doomed story, the 2 events featuring H'El, and Morrison's action run were all stories that had Superman in impossible situations. The excution of those stories may have left some things to be desired for folks, but I do feel like we have been seeing Superman doing things that only Superman can do.

Don't get me wrong I really want to see more of this and cant get enough of it. I really liked the comment about Superman's villains doing impossible things too. Superman's villains all need to be Super too!

to the OP, I completely agree with you, and as a matter of fact actually had a conversation with someone in real life about this very topic.

The first time I went to see Man of Steel in theaters I had a conversation with the lady behind the cash register.
    She was complaining that she didn't like the movie because Superman was too powerful, and that the situations he found himself involved in were just too "out there".
    Keep in mind that I hadn't seen the movie yet, and wouldn't see it for another half-hour.

I looked her full in the face and said the following:
    "You clearly know nothing about him. Superman being too Powerful and going on bizarre adventures is the WHOLE BLOODY POINT!"
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

I'm all for this as long as its written something like Robin Rises, a crazy over the top story that still manages to make me emotionally invested in whats happening and NOTHING like All Star Superman, a story more focused on throwing as much over the top silver age sc-fi BS at the cost of all else.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    The lone writer in recent times to focus on that or get close was Lobdell. We really need more cosmic Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I feel like we have been getting some of this. The Doomed story, the 2 events featuring H'El, and Morrison's action run were all stories that had Superman in impossible situations. The excution of those stories may have left some things to be desired for folks, but I do feel like we have been seeing Superman doing things that only Superman can do.

Don't get me wrong I really want to see more of this and cant get enough of it. I really liked the comment about Superman's villains doing impossible things too. Superman's villains all need to be Super too!
    Yeah, I agree. We've been getting more cosmic, big stories in Superman over the last few years, and its a good start. But we still need more.

I really want to see Lobdell become the Superman group editor. He's got the right idea conceptually and understands what kind of scope the character requires, he just can't write dialogue or handle pacing to save his life. But I feel like he could steer the line in the right basic direction, as long as he reigned in his tendency to wrap everything up in crossovers. If he had a set limit, like one four-month crossover every two years, I think he might have the chops for the job.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

No, I want him grounded to earth getting his ass kicked by an opposite number who forces him to question his worth

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    The lone writer in recent times to focus on that or get close was Lobdell. We really need more cosmic Supes.
    We really need (well written)more cosmic Superman.
    I wouldn't mind a few crossovers with the Green Lanterns and the Fourth World.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    No, I want him grounded to earth getting his ass kicked by an opposite number who forces him to question his worth
    Oh, I know my favorite Superman stories are the ones where he mopes around and has an existential crisis because a common thug wont aspire to anything greater.

Stories where Superman travels to other dimensions, makes first contact with energy-based aliens who live inside cosmic rays, and explores the furthest reaches of the universe? Thats what I read Batman for.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

To tell you the truth, when the first promo for Johns' and Romita's run hit I thought that's what we were getting. Cosmic adventures. Not to say that I'm not enjoying their run, but I would most definitely prefer otherwise.