Default In Germany, There are no Comic Stores close to us. lol.

We are closer to Nightcrawler's hometown (55 minutes) then the nearest comic store (2 hours, 43 minutes).

Incredible Member

This makes me sad. I had a comic box wrecked by flooding recently and if I didn't have 3 comic shops in town to recoup most of my back issues I'd be pretty bummed. Do you have any other nearby options for your needs? Many bookstores have a comics section as well as some multipurpose shopping centers (got a Batman issue at Walmart earlier this year).

I'm likely just going to wait till i get back to Michigan tuesday. But i just love looking around them. Glad you recouped most of your back issues. That would suck if you couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    This makes me sad. I had a comic box wrecked by flooding recently and if I didn't have 3 comic shops in town to recoup most of my back issues I'd be pretty bummed. Do you have any other nearby options for your needs? Many bookstores have a comics section as well as some multipurpose shopping centers (got a Batman issue at Walmart earlier this year).
    This is my worst fear. I have comics that date back to the 40s in my collection. To combat flooding this is what I did...For arguments sake (and because I dont know the real dimensions of the basement) lets pretend my basement is a 10 foot by 10 foot room. Against one wall I have large wood shelves that sit about three inches off the ground. Then on top of those wooden tables/shelves whatever you want to call them I have rubber maid containers that I filled with my collection. I have about 6 of those and the containers are about 2 or 3 feet tall. Now if my basement were to flood, the water level would have to fill that 10 foot by 10 foot room and climb higher than my wood rack and rubber maids. Also, my home isn't located in a part of the country that is prone to floods, so thats a major plus.

Does that make sense? It's 8am and I dont get off work for another hour lol. I pulled an overnight last night at work so Im kinda delusional.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    We are closer to Nightcrawler's hometown (55 minutes) then the nearest comic store (2 hours, 43 minutes).
    Are you in some remote village in the middle of nowhere or something?

I live in the U.S. and my closest comic shop is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, depending on traffic.

Incredible Member

About the only irreplaceable issues were the JLA/ Avengers 1-4 crossover, which may be salvageable, I'll be doing a thorough browse of the 500 + issues that got doused soon. My room hasn't flooded since I moved into my house 16 years ago, this was rather unexpected. The flooding was so bad that the 2 water treatment plants in my city were overwhelmed & needed to released untreated sewage into the creekbed contaminating it with ecoli according to the local news.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Many bookstores have a comics section as well as some multipurpose shopping centers (got a Batman issue at Walmart earlier this year).
    That makes me go real mad . It's precisely because of the abusive monopolistic cornering of the malls that comic stores (well, stores and SMEs in general) are disappearing at full speed. It's gonna be a very sad century...

I'm glad to say that in my country there are still a lot of comic stores, thanks specially to second-hand market --and in my city there are dozens (the closest to my home is 15 minutes on foot, I'm lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you in some remote village in the middle of nowhere or something?
    Burghausen. 55 Minutes to Witzeldorf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    That makes me go real mad . It's precisely because of the abusive monopolistic cornering of the malls that comic stores (well, stores and SMEs in general) are disappearing at full speed. It's gonna be a very sad century...

I'm glad to say that in my country there are still a lot of comic stores, thanks specially to second-hand market --and in my city there are dozens (the closest to my home is 15 minutes on foot, I'm lucky).
    You are lucky and exactly right about the all-consumming one-market monopolies of the warehouse giants. Within five years my hometown has completely lost it's Main(e) Street - businesses are closing left and right and even the BIG Box stores are folding into the Bigger Box stores...ach! When the biggest carnivores being running out of game where will they turn? They will eat themselves and see their own employee base shrink as they are replaced with storage pick-up card-swipe self checkouts...

It happens so fast. The good news is that there is a conscious support for the small market, the farmer's market, the co-op and 'buy local' movement that also seems to be making headway. I grew up with three comic shops all within walking distance...now, it's a 45 minute drive and the shops themselves can't maintain a large back issue floor space...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Burghausen. 55 Minutes to Witzeldorf.
    Please don't join the circus Slick!!! Watch out for mobs of bloodthirsty villagers.

I hope you're having a wunderbar adventure.
    Last edited by sungila; 07-18-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    The good news is that there is a conscious support for the small market, the farmer's market, the co-op and 'buy local' movement that also seems to be making headway.
    I do my best in that sense, for sure. My carbon footprint is minimum --well, as minimum as a voracious reader's can be .

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    I live in the U.S. and my closest comic shop is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, depending on traffic.
    Ditto.

And I don't even live in a rural area either. It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post

Please don't join the circus Slick!!! Watch out for mobs of bloodthirsty villagers.

I hope you're having a wunderbar adventure.
    When they say small village they are not kidding, You can drive through it in like 30 seconds. Ill post a pic when i get home. Let's just say it does not look as nice as Nauck's version of it in the Nightcrawler series. haha. It was cool tho.