Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Burton is definitely one guy I don't need to see fart around with the superhero genre again.

Fantastic Member

for the most part, that's what the original Richard Donner Superman was, wasn't it? He didn't really angst over Krypton in that one. Seemed to do well back then.

Since his Batman is still my favorite of the movies, I wouldn't mind seeing take a shot at Plas or Squirrel Girl or, yes, the GLA.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Would the Incredibles Count as happy superheroes?
    The Green Lantern movie tried to have a humor to it, though that was better accomplished in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Burton's done a lighter, still stylized movie in "Big Fish" It also didn't have Johnny Depp in it. Although Helena Bonham Carter is in it as a weird character, she also plays a normal one so that's something.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 12-16-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    for the most part, that's what the original Richard Donner Superman was, wasn't it? He didn't really angst over Krypton in that one. Seemed to do well back then.

Since his Batman is still my favorite of the movies, I wouldn't mind seeing take a shot at Plas or Squirrel Girl or, yes, the GLA.
    The day a Great Lakes Avengers film is greenlighted will mark the coming apocalypse.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That actually isn't true. His movies have a gothic appearance to them, but they are usually upbeat.
    Exactly.

Tim Burton's movies are gothic but they aren't grim.

Johnny Storm isn't a happy superhero? I had no idea
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

Burton should talk. Batman 1 & 2 were dark as hell. His plans were to do a similar Superman. Oh, well.

I think he should stay the heck away from non-dark comics adaptations. Good filmmaker in general but he often sacrifices the story for the "style".

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

funny how burton talks about dark superheroes and yet his batman murdered people with no problems at all. i'd trust him more if he didn't admit to not reading comics.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Would the Incredibles Count as happy superheroes?
    The Green Lantern movie tried to have a humor to it, though that was better accomplished in Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Agreed with all of that. The only problem with the Incredibles (I suppose to Burton) is that it's not a Big 2 property.

We'd also have to remember that when Burton made Batman, there were almost no reputable superhero movies ever, much less happy or dark ones. And his movies were a specific, intentional shift away from Adam West Batman.

With that said, most of the heroes mentioned in this thread as examples of "happy" superheroes are either sidekicks, supporting characters, or people with no movies in recent past or present. As it is, we've had dark and brooding Superman, emo brooding Spider-Man (which crossed over from the reboot, too!), Iron Man at his most resource-deprived, Captain America in the middle of a giant conspiracy, the disastrous future X-Men, and Wolverine being Wolverine as usual. And then before Marvel movies hit its stride, we had Blade, the Punisher, and Ghost Rider.

We have the Flash, yes, but TV shows don't get as much exposure as movies, while Arrow and Gotham are purposely dark. But thankfully GoTG showed that an upbeat movie can make money, and I expect Ant-Man and Shazam! to follow suit. And then Big Hero 6 couldn't go real dark as part of Disney canon, but that's a different audience.

I think we need a happy Edward scissorhands, and a happy Wonka NOW WHAAAT

Incredible Member

Lets track it, SpiderMan 1 and 2, fairly lighthearted despite the requisite Uncle Ben moment. There was plenty of conflict and Peter had obstacles, but its not like his back was broken and his city was threatened with a nuclear bomb or anything.

The first fantastic four was fairly light and is still quite enjoyable (would've preferred a more accurate Doom, but I liked the actor they got and did a good superpowered Lex Luthor)

Superman Returns and Green Lantern (certainly not as dark as the Dark Knight trilogy or MoS).

Ironman: There is some darkness, still, hardly uberdark or Grimdark.

Captain America: About the darkest thing is a second act sacrifice followed up with said sacrifices BFF realizing he's incapable of getting drunk (which sounds like a premise for a hilariously dark twilight zone episode)

Avengers: Well, the fan insert character died and the Hulk will always be a destructive force that plagues and diminishes bruce banners life, except when its overcome through the power of bromance. And Hawkeye got mind controlled, Thor had family drama, Fury defiled a fallen hero, Ironman nuked aliens (hashtag iron truman), cap was sad thst everyone he ever knew was pretty well dead. Blackwidow was menaced by the Knights of broadcast standards and practices and instead of saying murderdeathkill she mentions the red in her ledger (soo kid friendly). None of this is lingered on too much (except the Thor & Loki drama, perfectly lingered on) and is interspersed with banter, wit and one liners.

PHASE 2: Is rather alot darker.
    Ironman 3: Humor is abundant, is overdone, still enjoyed it thouroughly. More ominous scenes than truly dark ones
    Thor 2: Darker, fairly evident dark phoenix inspiration, PTSD sufferer as humorous character really didn't work, imo. Great ending that is somewhat dark.
    Wintersoldier: Dark by concept, levity peppered where appropriate, wasn't darker than it needed to be as a way of generating unearned tension.

MoS: Emphasis on Clark being an outsider, ends in a suicide by cop scenario.

DoFP: Really balanced in terms of tone. Personal exchanges are appropriately dramatic, Logan is the veteran member spouting wry dialog like a mutant Nigel Powers (in goldmember). Things go wrong and right a few times over, hope is a strong theme and we leave both Xavier and Mystique at the end in a better place than when they started, they went on a journey of personal discovery and growth.
    And timetravel because the world is ruined, don't feel they could've gone much lighter without doing a disservice to the concept and stakes

I still want to see Power Pack, done in the MCU but with its general lighter tone maintained.

Tim Burton is probably the most formulaic director in Hollywood, and he's handing out advice to others about not becoming formulaic??? lol that's epic irony

Don't get me wrong, a happy superhero on the big screen is a good idea and I think in time we'll see them too -- provided it suits the character (ie Plastic Man, Shazam, etc) ... that's the most important thing: appropriate characterization