Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tim Burton Thinks It's Time "To See a Happy Superhero"

"Batman" director Tim Burton wonders how long filmmakers can use the same formula, saying, "Yes, we all know that superheroes are damaged individuals."

Full article here.

I wouldn't mind something on the upbeat side
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Wouldn't Spider-Man, Iron Man, Quicksilver, and Star-Lord count?

I understand that, yeah, it's nice to have a mix. Happy, upbeat, fun.

Dark, brooding, compelling.

Worth a mix of it, or both together, really, but can only think of Superman, generally, that'd be a non-damaged superhero.

BANNED

James Bond- damaged individual
    Indiana Jones- renegade, definitely not happy
    Jack Bauer- damaged individual with hard moral conflications
    John McClane- alcoholic rebel
    Rocky Balboa- down on his luck street bum
    Luke Skywalker- the most optimistic of the bunch, still had his family killed, and his dad was the villain, and he was teetering on going to the dark side... and he was still showed up by Han Solo
    John Rambo-damaged ex soldier
    Ellen Ripley- very serious space worker, becomes damaged as the films go on
    Sarah Connors- sorority girl thrust into a nightmare, becomes a damaged war hardened soldier
    James Kirk- not a particularly happy individual, not depressed all the time, but he definitely felt the weight of his missions, had a bit of a Bond/Indiana type macho-ism. Oh and he became damaged in the films
    Buffy Summer- didn't like being the vampire slayer, felt the world on her shoulders and the insecurities of being a teen, like Batman needed an anchor in her friends to keep her from drifting to dark
    Angel- talk dark and broody

Those are some of the biggest action characters of all time, and some in recent memory. Damaged, hardened, angsty, and serious work. That's what audiences like.

Superheroes are arguably lighter.

Astonishing Member

How many times is Tim Burton going to say things that reveal he doesn't watch movies?

Incredible Member

How about Plastic Man? Used to be a criminal but has completely left that behind and is now a living cartoon character who makes a goofy joke out of absolutely every single moment of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    How about Plastic Man? Used to be a criminal but has completely left that behind and is now a living cartoon character who makes a goofy joke out of absolutely every single moment of his life.
    Also Captain Marvel/Billy Batson, The Flash (Wally West), Nightwing, The Web (the DC version from several years back), and many more. Tim Burton has publicly stated he doesn't read comic books, so he doesn't know what he's talking about.

That's odd, considering he's the King of the Grimdark.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Amazing Member

Does Ant-Man suppose to be a happy superhero movie ?

BANNED

Squirrel Girl!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    That's odd, considering he's the King of the Grimdark.
    That actually isn't true. His movies have a gothic appearance to them, but they are usually upbeat.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Squirrel Girl!
    That's what came to my mind. Hopefully Squirrel Girl can be the happy movie they want.

Though I'd prefer a full Great Lakes Avengers movie... I guess that would be a bit dark.

Astonishing Member

I can't say I disagree with him. Though, maybe the phrasing isn't quite right. People are going to interpret "happy superhero" as "superhero with no conflict" which I'm pretty sure isn't the same thing.

I think maybe it's time to shake up the formula, at least in terms of origins. Usually, superhero backstories have certain elements. Notably the death of a parent or parents and some sort of father issues that result (Batman's focused on his dead father a lot. Superman's focused on both of his dead fathers. Spider-Man's motivated by his dead father-figure. The Flash is focused on his incarcerated father). Perhaps it's time to switch it up and make it more focused on the loss of the mother. Or maybe make it a sibling (though, Big Hero Six already did that). Or, maybe, it's finally time to try and have an externally focused superhero again rather than an internally focused one. Rather than having a superhero motivated by the injustice and loss in their own past, make them motivated by the injustices done against others. A superhero motivated by empathy rather than pain. I don't know. People might not buy that last one these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That actually isn't true. His movies have a gothic appearance to them, but they are usually upbeat.
    Exactly, I was hoping he wasn't suggesting he be the person to make that happy superhero because I'm pretty sure he/she would be creepy as he'll. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    Plastic Man is my favorite superhero. I love the idea of this cynical, hardened criminal who transforms overnight into a happy-go-lucky (not to mention morally upstanding) superhero.

I think it'd b tricky to do his stretchy sight-gags in live action, though. He's a character just made for animation.