Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: They're Not Like Us, #1

Eric Stephenson and Simon Gane ensure "They're Not Like Us" #1 is not like any other comic about superpowered youngsters, with a well-characterized and nicely detailed issue that takes a minimal approach.

Full article here.

This is another title I'm really looking forward to. Definitely got it on my pull-list for next week.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

My Image-Gem of the Month!!! I loved it, art, dialogue, and colors...
    #MagnetoWasRight

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I read this and thought it was just as good as Nowhere Men, which I thought was just okay. This book is perfectly fine and reads an like alternate universe X-Men book with some darker twists to it, but that's it really. Everything is perfectly acceptable, but not particularly memorable. I liked the main character so far at least... I honestly gave it a 7 out of 10. Hopefully it picks up with the second issue.

Huh. I may give this a shot next week.

Spectacular Member

I guess this was as enjoyable as Nowhere Men, which I also don't care for in the slightest. I was surprised by this issue though: I thought Stephenson hated superhero comics. Why is he writing an issue of the X-Men?

Astonishing Member

I thought NOwhere Men was much, much stronger.

And this isn't at all a superhero comic. This is a story of the impact of psychic abilities on society, and what might actually happen. It's science fiction, not superhero.

BANNED

I also thought Nowhere Men was pretty strong. But...is it finished? It seemed like it paused mid-stream (?) And, if it's not finished, will it be? Why does this writer get a new title if he hasn't completed another for Image?

Anyway, TNLU strikes me as middling. The introduction of the characters was hackneyed. The art is pretty decent. The dialogue is serviceable. But, overall, it has an X-Men feel to it...and I don't need any more X-Men feel...

Incredible Member

I am a bit surprised by the negative reaction in this book...I thought it was fantastic! I am intrigued by the start of a new X-Men-like book (lord know you can't jump into X-Men now due to convoluted back stories and/or poor quality). I thought the art in they're not like us was far superior to nowhere men, and I am intrigued to learn more about this cast of characters. Perhaps this book could've benefitted from a double sized first issue in order to better introduce the world. Outcast and Tooth & Claw both benefitted from a longer first issue.

As far as Nowhere Men is concerned, the artist (Bellegarde) has been having some sort of emotional problems and is afraid to draw the book (too blunt?). Bellegarde wrote an open letter maybe a year ago explaining his problems. Stephenson made the decision to wait for Bellegarde to get better instead of dumping him in favor of an artist who is I unafraid to draw the book. At this point, we just have to wait for bellegarde to get better if we ever want to see more nowhere men.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I thought NOwhere Men was much, much stronger.

And this isn't at all a superhero comic. This is a story of the impact of psychic abilities on society, and what might actually happen. It's science fiction, not superhero.
    Yeah, I know it's not exactly a superhero comic, but it's essentially an X-Men comic. I mean, these guys even meet in a mansion and have codenames. If it's not X-Men it's Heroes. Or the another one of the billion stories where a bunch of randos get powers and we study it's effect on society. It couldn't more more hackneyed if it tried.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    I also thought Nowhere Men was pretty strong. But...is it finished? It seemed like it paused mid-stream (?) And, if it's not finished, will it be? Why does this writer get a new title if he hasn't completed another for Image?
    Because he's the publisher for Image Comics. He can do whatever he wants.

Not that not finishing one piece of work is necessarily a reason not to get other work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Fiegel View Post
    Yeah, I know it's not exactly a superhero comic, but it's essentially an X-Men comic. I mean, these guys even meet in a mansion and have codenames. If it's not X-Men it's Heroes. Or the another one of the billion stories where a bunch of randos get powers and we study it's effect on society. It couldn't more more hackneyed if it tried.
    I don't disagree, but at least here it seems that it will at least explore the more pragmatic side, rather than deal with any outright superheroics. Even Warren Ellis' "No Hero", which also had a similar vibe, didn't really deliver on that promise, and television like Heroes or ALphas (from what little I saw of it) went quickly into 'villain of the week' or 'big bad villain' mode.

The X-Men comparisons are fair, the similarities are apparent, but the mature tone, and non-superhero approach, sets it far enough apart, from your average, every month X-Men comic. From a creative standpoint, I loved how the cover, serves its purpose as a cover, and the beginning of the story, which ended with a great cliffhanger, that makes you automatically, wanna read the next issue.

I've had Nowhere Men, on my short-list for awhile now, it's unfortunate, what the artist is dealing with, but I look forward to reading what's been released thus far.
    #MagnetoWasRight

The first issue was fine. It set things up fairly well. Ill probably give it a good few issues just to see this cast of characters in action.

I liked this first issue okay but it was a tad disappointing for me. I think I was just expecting a little more but I didn't dislike it. I'll probably pick up #2.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender