Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The thing is, there's no practical reason for him to wear a costume.

He doesn't need it for protection. He doesn't need it to supply him with powers or gear. He doesn't need it to hide his identity. Essentially him wearing a costume would be purely for the sake of wearing a costume.
    There is a practical reason for him to wear a costume. So we know what he looks like. Quick, what does Luke Cage look like? Yeah, I thought so. Also, costumes are cool and the everyman Luke fights for (by the way, aren't all heroes fighting for the everyman? If Luke doesn't like costumes just have him admit it) like them. Will he get kicked out of The Fraternity Of Street Level Heroes if he looks interesting? If so how does Daredevil get a pass? Iron Fist isn't really street level.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 10-20-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    There is a practical reason for him to wear a costume. So we know what he looks like. Quick, what does Luke Cage look like? Yeah, I thought so. Also, costumes are cool and the everyman Luke fights for (by the way, aren't all heroes fighting for the everyman? If Luke doesn't like costumes just have him admit it) like them. Well he get kicked out of The Fraternity Of Street Level Heroes if he looks interesting?
    I think he has already admitted he doesn't like costumes.

And I at least don't need him wearing a costume to know what he looks like. In pretty much any story he's in I can look in and say: "there's Luke Cage." Unless he's maybe standing next to Gauntlet from Avengers Initiative or Priests Black Panther, it's not really that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    There is a practical reason for him to wear a costume. So we know what he looks like. Quick, what does Luke Cage look like? Yeah, I thought so. Also, costumes are cool and the everyman Luke fights for (by the way, aren't all heroes fighting for the everyman? If Luke doesn't like costumes just have him admit it) like them. Will he get kicked out of The Fraternity Of Street Level Heroes if he looks interesting? If so how does Daredevil get a pass? Iron Fist isn't really street level.
    A tall, muscular, bald black guy in a yellow shirt.

Yeah I can see how hard that is to describe.

I don't see anyone complaining about Luke not wearing a costume in his show.

Daredevil is irrelevant. No one is saying he should wear a costume. Just that Luke doesn't wear one and had never needed one.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The Netflix series had its moments, but sadly, I think it mostly forgettable. There were times while watching Season 2 that I wondered what would be anyone's motivation for watching it. Comic fans? Sure. Neo-blaxploitation and/or pseudo-blaxploitation fans? No doubt. Anti-SJW types who tuned in just to find a reason to criticize the push? Perhaps. Anyone else? Anyone at all?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I don't care for Luke in a costume either, I wouldn't mind if they gave him one but it's not necessary in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The Netflix series had its moments, but sadly, I think it mostly forgettable. There were times while watching Season 2 that I wondered what would be anyone's motivation for watching it. Comic fans? Sure. Neo-blaxploitation and/or pseudo-blaxploitation fans? No doubt. Anti-SJW types who tuned in just to find a reason to criticize the push? Perhaps. Anyone else? Anyone at all?
    Anyone who scrolls down under what's new? that's how I get into most shows.

wow y'all turned on this show quick.

Season 1 was fire at the time it dropped. Great supporting performances. Cottonmouth, Misty, Diamondback, Mariah. Really good.

Season 2 was different the twist ending certainly caught me buy surprise.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Season 1 was fire at the time it dropped. Great supporting performances. Cottonmouth, Misty, Diamondback, Mariah. Really good.

I liked S2 better than S1. Loved Bushmaster and loved the dilemma Cage was stuck in.

Usually when they go the "superhero needs to kill but can't" angle, it sucks. I though Cage nailed it by him simply taking over.

Plus, the less Claire the better. She's annoying.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I thought Season Two was great. Season One was very good and I was OK with Diamondback, but Bushmaster was great, the story was more consistent, and they kept the pace up to avoid the pacing issues of other shows.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I loved the ending of season 2... it would be a shame if we never found out where Cage ends up going after that. Maybe him going off the deep end could be the basis for the next Defenders show (if there ever is another Defenders show).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I thought Season Two was great. Season One was very good and I was OK with Diamondback, but Bushmaster was great, the story was more consistent, and they kept the pace up to avoid the pacing issues of other shows.
    Bushmaster was cool. I liked Cottom Mouth, but didn't ever really feel threatened by him. Diamondback was a legit threat, but was sort of flat as a villain. Bushmaster found a nice balance between both.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Anyone think Mike Colters comments about Ariana Grande probably factored into the cancelation of the show? Disney with there no excessive bad press policy might have wanted to get that shut down quick?
    I don't think so, because Deadline reported that the decision to cancel the show was made 48 hours before the news broke. Mike Colter's tweet was on early September. If they really thought that was so unacceptable that the show couldn't go on, I don't think they would've waited so long to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    We don't know who the creative differences were with exactly. It seems to me that it was between Netflix and Cheo Hodari Coker. The comments are vague enough that it might be between Coke and Marvel or maybe Coke and Marvel and Netflix. The way it's been phrased is that the issues were with the specific scripts and story elements not the overall plot since it appears that had been approved before there were issues. The weird thing is most people comment on how hands off Netflix is, so that's what's throwing me off. If I had to guess, Netflix wanted the show more grounded because it seems they've always been pushing it in that direction, but it could have been any number of things.
    Considering the timing, I'm willing to bet that maybe the cancellation of Iron Fist caused the creative differences, because pretty much everyone can agree Luke Cage was the obvious place where the story of IF would continue on. Maybe one side started to suggest a bigger incorporation of IF and its elements to the LC show, and the other side wasn't happy about it, as they felt it was gonna derail the show.

The show's problem was that they would have a really great villain and a really bad one and they would always yank you away from the good villain to spend time with the bad one. Cottonmouth was a great villain, but here comes corny Diamondback. Bushmaster was cool but let's spend some more time with Black Mariah, Shades and Nightshade.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I cannot believe Netflix canceled this great show. I mean I haven't seen Season 2 yet...still I can't' believe it's canceled.

However I have hopes that SOMEONE at either Marvel and/or Disney would at least try to get this series and Iron Fist to continue as Heroes for Hire via the upcoming Disney Streaming service. I mean Netflix may have brought the show to us, but it was made via the Marvel banner and there is the rumors of the Disney Streaming service forcing Netflix to lose most of the Disney themed stuff by the next two years or so.

I just wish Bob Iger steps in and tries to heal the rift between Kevin Fiege and Ike Premutter and brings the MCU together with the Marvel television side. I want my mega crossover in the MCU, is that so wrong to ask ?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Considering the timing, I'm willing to bet that maybe the cancellation of Iron Fist caused the creative differences, because pretty much everyone can agree Luke Cage was the obvious place where the story of IF would continue on. Maybe one side started to suggest a bigger incorporation of IF and its elements to the LC show, and the other side wasn't happy about it, as they felt it was gonna derail the show.
    Based on the reports that there was discussion back and forth and attempts were made to incorporate the suggestions without satisfaction, it feels like this has been going on for a little while now. Unless Marvel knew Iron Fist was cancelled prior to the announcement, the beginning of issues seems to predate it. Plus, Cheo Hodari Coker has been on record that he loves Iron Fist and had no problem incorporating him into Season Two so I doubt that's the reason.

Really, he was a great show runner. He was a fan of the comic, he played well with other properties (incorporating Cloak and Dagger references into his show), he has great taste in music, and he writes entertaining television that can deal with difficult subject matters. It's why I found creative differences so disappointing.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?