Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Yeah, I loved that moment. However, I could see the Doom fan-boys crying foul.
    I could care less about them.

That encounter is a part of 616 MU history that needs to be revisited.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I could care less about them.

That encounter is a part of 616 MU history that needs to be revisited.
    So true.....so very true.

Yes, to Parker or Al Ewing but a resounding HELL NO to Bendis.
    All ear on this point. I for the life of me don't know how people could talk about Cage leading New Avengers was big for him. Cage was leader in name only. Truly that series was just a vehicle for Bendis to write a hero group to take on the true star of the series... The Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    All ear on this point. I for the life of me don't know how people could talk about Cage leading New Avengers was big for him. Cage was leader in name only. Truly that series was just a vehicle for Bendis to write a hero group to take on the true star of the series... The Hood.
    Honestly, I think it's big because it really set a precedent for the character. I honestly doubt that he would have been made leader of the Thunderbolts or the Mighty Avengers had he not had the role he had in New Avengers.

He didn't necessarily establish himself as a great tactical mind or strategest in NA (or in the current MA for that matter as Monica is the actual field leader), but I think what Bendis really emphasized was the notion of him being the people's champion of the marvel universe. He's a leader not by creating battle strategy but rather in the way he inspires people by example. He's sort of more a Superman than a Batman (Cap is considered the best of the best because he's both).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    The only people who loved Bendis's take on Cage where the one's who didn't have a problem with a formerly independent business man suddenly becoming a financially insecure baby daddy by way of unprotected sex with a female character suffering from a mandingo complex.

That's what Bendis turned Cage into until Parker showed who he was and what could really be achieved with his character within the pages of the Thunderbolts book.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 08-17-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The only people wo loved Bendis's take on Cage where the one's who didn't have a problem with a formerly independent business man suddenly becoming a financially insecure baby daddy by way of unprotected sex with a female character suffering from a mandingo complex.
    Hey.....just hold up......DAMN!!!!!

Yeah.....Bendis Cage was nothing like Ostrander Cage.....or any Cage for that matter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly, I think it's big because it really set a precedent for the character. I honestly doubt that he would have been made leader of the Thunderbolts or the Mighty Avengers had he not had the role he had in New Avengers.

He didn't necessarily establish himself as a great tactical mind or strategest in NA (or in the current MA for that matter as Monica is the actual field leader), but I think what Bendis really emphasized was the notion of him being the people's champion of the marvel universe. He's a leader not by creating battle strategy but rather in the way he inspires people by example. He's sort of more a Superman than a Batman (Cap is considered the best of the best because he's both).
    So going by your astute description, Cage has been nothing but a glorified mascot/figurehead within the 616 MU.

I actually agree with you 100%.

BANNED

Hey.....just hold up......DAMN!!!!!

Yeah.....Bendis Cage was nothing like Ostrander Cage.....or any Cage for that matter.
    Hahahaha!

Bendis ushered in the era of non-descript, empty pockets Cage and some folks wanted to make it look like he did the character a solid when in reality, all that Bendis did was turn Luke into a freaking caricature.

Extraordinary Member

Hahahaha!

Bendis ushered in the era of non-descript, empty pockets Cage and some folks wanted to make it look like he did the character a solid when in reality, all that Bendis did was turn Luke into a freaking caricature.
    For myself, I can be so happy a character I like is not in limbo that I will overlook stuff like that.

That ice cod splash of e-water you provided reminded me of how much of the old Cage we really lost.

The Cage that showed up in Alias all the way through New Avengers looked like some pre/post Crisis / parallel world version.

Come to think of it, I did not like Cage picking up the money of thugs he was roughing up in Bendis' Secret War back in the day. The Cage that appeared in the Stern/Ostrander H4H was a global business man that spoke more than one language.

BANNED

For myself, I can be so happy a character I like is not in limbo that I will overlook stuff like that.

That ice cod splash of e-water you provided reminded me of how much of the old Cage we really lost.

The Cage that showed up in Alias all the way through New Avengers looked like some pre/post Crisis / parallel world version.

Come to think of it, I did not like Cage picking up the money of thugs he was roughing up in Bendis' Secret War back in the day. The Cage that appeared in the Stern/Ostrander H4H was a global business man that spoke more than one language.
    That's why Bendis will never get any props from me for supposedly raising Cages profile especially as he turned Luke from this.....

into this.....

I stay bringing that ice water.

THIS!!! Anyone who thinks Cage would still be leader in the Thunderbolts or Mighty Avengers or getting a Netflix series WITHOUT Bendis is living in delusion. Bendis' Cage in Daredevil was amazing, Bendis' Cage in New Avengers was good AT THE START. His New Avengers got VERY lazy once the spark went out and everyone suffered (not just Cage). But the high-profile role did his character a great service and has led to great things.

I'm guessing you never read Bendis' Daredevil

Incredible Member

Bendis might have been hit or miss randomly in the New Avengers, but Luke Cage's characterization was the best character in the book during that run.

And I don't like this notion that because people like Bendis' Luke Cage, they are somehow liking a 'some pre/post Crisis / parallel world version' , or 'glorified mascot/figurehead' or ' freaking caricature'.

BANNED

I agree with most of this.

While there were a few things about Bendis Cage I could do without but I am happy for some of the more positive things he has done with the character. I'm also glad that he solidified a place for him in the MU moving forward.
    The only people who loved Bendis's take on Cage where the one's who didn't have a problem with a formerly independent business man suddenly becoming a financially insecure baby daddy by way of unprotected sex with a female character suffering from a mandingo complex.

That's what Bendis turned Cage into until Parker showed who he was and what could really be achieved with his character within the pages of the Thunderbolts book.
    That's a messed up generalization......

For a lot of people that version of Cage was the only version they ever got the chance to know. The guy had been limbo for several years before NA came about. There is a whole generation(possibly two) that never got the opportunity to know the original version of Cage.
    Last edited by Trident; 08-18-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

That's why Bendis will never get any props from me for supposedly raising Cages profile especially as he turned Luke from this.....

into this.....

I stay bringing that ice water.
    Now.....I have the Dos Equis guy in my head saying his famous parting line.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    Bendis might have been hit or miss randomly in the New Avengers, but Luke Cage's characterization was the best character in the book during that run.

And I don't like this notion that because people like Bendis' Luke Cage, they are somehow liking a 'some pre/post Crisis / parallel world version' , or 'glorified mascot/figurehead' or ' freaking caricature'.
    Well, if you happened to read the Heroes for Hire series back in the late 1990's, you will see a financially well off Cage that used his brains as much as his muscle. That Cage was not the man picking up the dirty money from punk thugs he roughed up. The H4H series mentioned Cage being a global businessman, being able to speak different languages, and outsmarting the main villain before the series was sadly canceled. Ostrander Cage was courting She-Hulk like regular guy. Bendis Cage was having his way (sans rain coat) with self-loathing Jessica Jones.

It is a tale of two Cages, like pre & post Crisis Jason Todd.

Bendis Cage is kinda Ben Grimm-lite.

I am glad Cage is getting pushed, but his true potential has yet to be tapped.