Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Wonder Woman #37 SPOILERS

In short. It was a bit better than the last one. IMO, the writing wasn't as stiff and such.

The art was also a bit better in some places, since Diana looks a bit more mature at times. But also even younger than before in others. Still not my cup of tea. There's also one or two panels I figure will come to question.

-Ares's robo birdys attack. Diana kills them. Didn't know they existed.
    -The evil witch gives Diana a choice. The island of women, or world of men. Saying Diana must act queen or the amazons will look weak. Diana gets a call from Cyborg and must leave. Says she'll be back. The evil witch says there'll be consequence.
    -The witch and some blue woman monster of sorts are cooking something. There's a woman with a baby there. Looks like they'll kill a baby, but they kill the mother instead. They then boil the clay Hippolyta. The witch lets a tear fall for her sister.
    -Clark and Diana are sparing. Diana says she's: "--kicking serious super butt today...". Then: "The only things we truly can control in this life are our choices."
    -Some blue monsters are chatting. "It has begun.", and the traitor (the witch?) will do what needs to be done.
    -The witch stew is ready. From it, Donna Troy rises.

An okay issue I guess. I'll probably give it a couple of issues.
    Last edited by borntohula; 12-17-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    In short. It was a bit better than the last one. IMO, the writing wasn't as stiff and such.

The art was also a bit better in some places, since Diana looks a bit more mature at times. But also even younger than before in others. Still not my cup of tea. There's also one or two panels I figure will come to question.

-Ares's robo birdys attack. Diana kills them. Didn't know they existed.
    -The evil witch gives Diana a choice. The island of women, or world of men. Saying Diana must act queen or the amazons will look weak. Diana gets a call from Cyborg and must leave. Says she'll be back. The evil witch says there'll be consequence.
    -The witch and some blue woman monster of sorts are cooking something. There's a woman with a baby there. Looks like they'll kill a baby, but they kill the mother instead. They then boil the clay Hippolyta. The witch lets a tear fall for her sister.
    -Clark and Diana are sparing. Diana says she's: "--kicking serious super butt today...". Then: "The only things we truly can control in this life are our choices."
    -Some blue monsters are chatting. "It has begun.", and the traitor (the witch?) will do what needs to be done.
    -The witch stew is ready. From it, Donna Troy rises.

An okay issue I guess. I'll probably give it a couple of issues.
    and with Power Girl cup size nonetheless... I found it pretty meh. Still, I've collected Wonder Woman comics since the Perez relaunch so I'll give this run two arcs. Hopefully it gets better, and this one is better than their first. You get the feeling the Finches are really trying to do their best job.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 12-17-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Profanity
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

Donna is one of those WW characters I like but really sort of never got fully into. eg I like Diana had a sister but I just never got her origin and motivations and this...if this can simplify and streamline that and build her into a solid character who is not just WW's saccharin sister, I'm all for it. From what I see it just might fit nicely into the whole new 52 WW and Amazons. Second issue, definitely better than the first. I think given a chance and time to settle down the Finches might just be able to tell a good story here.

BANNED

Poor Donna Troy, she deserved much more than this.
    that ritual was done where? on Paradise island? if it is PI where that kid came from?

WW turned into a zenescope/aspen/spawn book?

I read this really fast, the narrative is all over the place

Fantastic Member

Diana gets emotional whenever she wants to fill us in on the plot points that brought her to this point. The worst kind of comic book writing. And didn't we already get these plot points last issue? And what relevance does it have to this issue? Just another reason she can show emotion? ugh.

We get it, we get it. Mom's dead, you have so much responsibility, yadda yadda yadda.

Fantastic Member

"Hey Diana, another town has disappeared. Get here fast!"

Why? So she can stand and look at the monitor, attack an innocent onlooker, then leave, like last issue?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    "Hey Diana, another town has disappeared. Get here fast!"

Why? So she can stand and look at the monitor, attack an innocent onlooker, then leave, like last issue?
    haha, yeah last time she was there just looking at monitor, said nothing. there isn't other leaguers to deal with it? Seems a great plot device to keep her busy and the amazons mad at her.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Diana gets emotional whenever she wants to fill us in on the plot points that brought her to this point. The worst kind of comic book writing. And didn't we already get these plot points last issue? And what relevance does it have to this issue? Just another reason she can show emotion? ugh.

We get it, we get it. Mom's dead, you have so much responsibility, yadda yadda yadda.
    someone make this vitriol stop.please. everytime she is I'm god of wat, wueen, jl blah blah
    Last edited by Blacksun; 12-17-2014 at 06:56 AM.

So I guess Diana and Donna are going to fight each other all the way until April judging by the solicits? A bit annoying how everyone has to be at odds with each other now. Still, I guess they needed to play the Donna card to try and get more people talking about their run and whatnot. So I guess it isn't surprising they are introducing her like this. Hopefully it will be better than how they introduced Wally, but I don't know.

Donna has always been a better Titans character than Wonder Woman character so it is a bit of a shame that all those character are cut out from her introduction.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm really intrigued by the storyline so far. Diana seems to be pulled in several directions at the moment and the old crone is taking full advantage of that for whatever reason. I'm very curious to find out who the blue-skinned villain is as I'm guessing that she is the old rogue that Meredith claimed they were overhauling. David's art in this issue was even better than in the last. Diana looked noticeably older and I really liked her combat gear(with the small exception of the midriff). What a shocker seeing Donna back on the last page! I'm really excited to see where the Finchs are going with Donna's story!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I think the plot of the past two issues is good, but the actual writing isn't. Diana flipping out on Clark was a bit odd... Not that I don't think this New 52 version would do that, it's just the dialogue felt unusual.

The sorceress' dialogue was awful, too. If she has to slither, there are ways to make it work more than completely misspelling a word. I was like "pris? What's that?" Still, she has a pretty cool design. I really hope it's not a revamped Queen Clea, though. If she's supposed to be an existing character, I'm struggling to think who it might be. Derinoe is my favorite non-Diana character so far, though.

Also, Diana's costume as she fought the birds was waaay too hoochie. It would've been great if her belt was there instead of just bare skin. Seriously, this is almost 2015, comics. As for Donna, I'm happy she's finally back in a WW comic. She's never made that big of a presence for me since I don't read Titans and such, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Amazing Member

I think Pris meant Price...

And, I thought Donna was supposed to be identical looking with Diana...which is sorta what this one looks like, right, I suppose. PG cup size included...=\

Ah well...more heroes fighting heroes. Classic New 52, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by lcg16 View Post
    I think Pris meant Price...
    I got that.

As a comic book which is about reading dialogue bubbles, it's an awkward way to write and should be avoided IMO.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

So glad I didn't do anything rash like adding the book back to my pull list.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

This was just... blah. The overall idea of the story is fine but the writing lacks any emotion. I feel no connection to anything that is happening in the story. Diana is so odd in this book, despite being extremely emotional one page and then a ruthless warrior on the other she still feels wooden, she feels fake. Seeing Diana moan over her life and responsibilities is kind of pathetic, not because she feels pressure but just the way it is written. I don't feel bad for her like I should, and that is the writers fault. The art is just ok, better than most of Finch's work, but everyone still looks like 16 year Bratz dolls with implants. So glad Donna is coming back, but so sad it is happening with this creative team. Still do not understand why Hippolyte was back to stone and now that she was sacrificed to create Donna, I guess she is gone for good.

I am extremely disappointed in DC. They had a great 3 year run, some of the best reviews WW ever received and they let it all go to waste with this inexperienced amateur writer and cheesecake artist.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I really enjoyed this, and people really should stop saying "Donna didn't deserve this" and other nonsesnse like that, all that happened was Donna appearing out of some queen stew. She is still the same person you all know and love probably(well in due time.) This is a story that will play out over a few issues.