Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think we are more likely to see Diana shown as better fighter in the upcoming BvS movie than in the comics.
    Considering how little she's accomplished in the last two issues of her very own book, this seems likely
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is unclear as to whether the baby 'died' or not or was just 'aged' in the process, although the baby's mother, who I think was Derinoe's daughter, was clearly killed (it was the mother who was killed by the dagger). Where the baby came from, and who Derinoe is, is probably something we will learn more about. Hopefully.
    We can at least say that the woman holding the baby was killed; I don't think it's really established that this woman was the baby's mother. It's reasonable to guess that she was, but then again, the baby could have already been motherless and the woman just have been caring for her. I still think it could be interesting if the baby turns out to have been Hippolyta's clay statue--salvaged from the sands in Secret Origins, recently brought to life (let's say) off panel, and now aged and empowered by being brought together with her mother's clay remains (with a little human sacrifice thrown in). This is, of course, just a wild guess, so far. I thought the clay statue would have become Zola--and that could still be revealed, eventually--but if not, some use might as well be made of it.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-20-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Whatever the baby's origin, it seems DC continues its trend of seeking depth in darkness. Just as Diana's birth went from a bright tale to something with a fairs swag is shame attached (Hippolyta's own perspective on her actions for those who might argue) Donna Troys origin continues to degenerate from its original compassionate premise to an act of murder and treachery.

To quote a wise racoon, "You just wanna suck the joy out of everything."
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Whatever the baby's origin, it seems DC continues its trend of seeking depth in darkness. Just as Diana's birth went from a bright tale to something with a fairs swag is shame attached (Hippolyta's own perspective on her actions for those who might argue) Donna Troys origin continues to degenerate from its original compassionate premise to an act of murder and treachery.

To quote a wise racoon, "You just wanna suck the joy out of everything."
    You must be referring to Donna's fire-orphan origin right? I'll agree that Diana saving her, and the Amazons raising Donna as one of their own certainly fits the bill of compassion, but Donna, if memory serves, watched her family burn to death in their home and nearly died herself. That's pretty dark. I'd argue its easily as dark as being born from sacrifice and a cauldron.

Donna has shown up in one panel so far. I think its a little early to judge her new origin and claim its super-grim. I mean, sure, right this very moment it is but there's a lot of road left to travel.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 12-20-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: profanity
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You must be referring to Donna's fire-orphan origin right? I'll agree that Diana saving her, and the Amazons raising Donna as one of their own certainly fits the bill of compassion, but Donna, if memory serves, watched her family burn to death in their home and nearly died herself. That's pretty dark. I'd argue its easily as dark as being born from sacrifice and a cauldron.

Donna has shown up in one panel so far. I think its a little early to judge her new origin and claim its super-grim. I mean, sure, right this very moment it is but there's a lot of road left to travel.
    It is a little to early to judge the origin but I do hope her origin is lasting one so they don't have to recon it every so often. Also looks like it might be a take on the magical clone of Diana origin she had for a little time. Since she is to be a stand in for Queen duties that Diana has been not fulfilling like some Amazon's think it will be interesting story.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 12-20-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: referred to edited post
    former Terrifan2

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Family who loved you dying in a fire is tragic. Weird Amazon witches butchering each other in a blood sacrifice and merging you with the clay statue corpse of a murdered Queen is dark.

Family who loved you dying in a fire is tragic. Weird Amazon witches butchering each other in a blood sacrifice and merging you with the clay statue corpse of a murdered Queen is dark.
    And being the reborn souls of women butchered by men isn't dark? WW and the Amazon's are conceptually dark since the days of Perez.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    And being the reborn souls of women butchered by men isn't dark? WW and the Amazon's are conceptually dark since the days of Perez.
    No, that is bringing light out of darkness. This is taking darkness and adding more darkness to it to make darkness to the power of "wow, that is dark."

In the end it'll probably be moot as more than likely this will be a case of bringing light out of darkness, like a whole slew of superhero origins have entailed since these characters have existed. The only difference here is that this is an origin story that is in its infant stages, and thus to claim this is dark for dark's sake is an incredibly premature judgment. Its like refusing to read any further after Bruce Wayne's parents are killed, or after Krypton blows up, or after Uncle Ben is shot, and proclaiming its dark for dark's sake.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In the end it'll probably be moot as more than likely this will be a case of bringing light out of darkness, like a whole slew of superhero origins have entailed since these characters have existed. The only difference here is that this is an origin story that is in its infant stages, and thus to claim this is dark for dark's sake is an incredibly premature judgment. Its like refusing to read any further after Bruce Wayne's parents are killed, or after Krypton blows up, or after Uncle Ben is shot, and proclaiming its dark for dark's sake.
    I agree with this. I pretty much expect Donna to get the Siracca treatment; Diana tells her "this is no way for sisters to behave," and her heart gorws three sizes that day. (OK, that last part is not Siracca but the Grinch--but, same idea.) In all likliehood, it will be a redemptive enough ending, thematically. Whether it'll be well-written, I have more doubts about; we shall see.

No, that is bringing light out of darkness. This is taking darkness and adding more darkness to it to make darkness to the power of "wow, that is dark."
    You can't know that yet. We've got ONE panel of information here ... There are all sorts of possibilities and even if it's exactly "face value" I can't imagine that Donna Troy is being reborn to be nothing more than a villain.

The question isn't if she'll become a hero rather when. My money's on the Annual.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    You can't know that yet. We've got ONE panel of information here ... There are all sorts of possibilities and even if it's exactly "face value" I can't imagine that Donna Troy is being reborn to be nothing more than a villain.
    It doesn't matter. My original comment had nothing to do with whether she is a villain or not - its about how she is introduced as a character.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It doesn't matter. My original comment had nothing to do with whether she is a villain or not - its about how she is introduced as a character.

I have to agree that this is kind a dark twist but after her Post-Crisis Titans of Myth disaster of an origin, I'll take this, especially being that this time she has a clear cut connection to Diana.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I agree with this. I pretty much expect Donna to get the Siracca treatment; Diana tells her "this is no way for sisters to behave," and her heart gorws three sizes that day. (OK, that last part is not Siracca but the Grinch--but, same idea.) In all likliehood, it will be a redemptive enough ending, thematically. Whether it'll be well-written, I have more doubts about; we shall see.
    I predict mud wrestling.

Okay, possibly that is more of a wish...