Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I really enjoyed this, and people really should stop saying "Donna didn't deserve this" and other nonsesnse like that, all that happened was Donna appearing out of some queen stew. She is still the same person you all know and love probably(well in due time.) This is a story that will play out over a few issues.
    And you know this from this one issue, how exactly? I'm not saying people should panic and start jumping to conclusions but at the same time it's not like we should expect Donna to be the same as she was pre-52. Plenty of characters went through changes for this reboot and some of them were not necessarily for the better.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And you know this from this one issue, how exactly? I'm not saying people should panic and start jumping to conclusions but at the same time it's not like we should expect Donna to be the same as she was pre-52. Plenty of characters went through changes for this reboot and some of them were not necessarily for the better.
    The things that made Wonder Woman unique and special were that she didn't have a tragic origin or background, and that she had a supportive extended family of allies. Donna Troy was an important part of this. I remain interested in reading about this character, if DC would give her air to breathe.

All of that has been erased. The few bits of Wonder Woman's own mythos that have survived the disaster have all been introduced outside of "her" solo title. They have had their connections to Wonder Woman removed.

And now Donna is resurrected as an enemy. I don't see this as moving to repair the damage.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I have to say I am rather pleased ... The preview of this issue had me worried. But the issue itself had a better flow than I expected.

In fact, I'd say this issue is a better showing in both the art and writing than the last one. I'm still not loving whiney Diana, but at least this issue she didn't look like a sad little girl crying into her teddy bear when she lost it. David clearly made a few adjustments to her facial structure so she looks more her age in this issue, which is nice to see, I wasn't sure I could read for long with her looking so immature. The new battle uniform was okay, breastplate good midriff bad, but did they just skip the part where she changed clothes? Guess the story is still a little driven by David wanting to draw the big action sequences, I can live with that.

Meredith is setting up a story with a lot of potential, I like that she's building a complex setup of many problems that I assume are all going to to converge at some point. Her writing is still a little rough around the edges, but it's better in this issue than the last. I don't think she's fully captured Diana's voice just yet, but it's not bad, just a bit melodramatic at moments. Aside from some bad characterizations here and there I never thought of Diana as overly emotional in a negative sense (i.e. she doesn't yell at people about her problems). But most of Meredith's problems seem pretty minor IMO.

As for the big reveal, I'm happy to see Donna's return. I'm curious as to who the witch is (Dark Angel perhaps?). And I'm interested in what the plan is for using Donna... I remain cautiously optimistic about this run, despite the early "bumps in the road" I think the Finch's could pull this off.

i'm glad Donna is back, now wonder woman has my attention, but can they kept it?
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Diana gets emotional whenever she wants to fill us in on the plot points that brought her to this point. The worst kind of comic book writing. And didn't we already get these plot points last issue? And what relevance does it have to this issue? Just another reason she can show emotion? ugh.

We get it, we get it. Mom's dead, you have so much responsibility, yadda yadda yadda.
    This is basically how I feel. And it's not that I don't want Diana to express deep feelings; I just want her not to do it in such shallow, uninteresting ways.

There have been some minor improvements, especially in the art, but the dialogue still strikes me as sappy, cliched and pedestrian. I'll probably stay though the first arc, but I'm getting bored; it's nice to see Donna back, but bringing an old character back isn't going to make us for boring writing, for me.

This was probably an editorial decision like brining back Wally.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I have a theory on what's going on in this story. The blue-skinned sorceress is the New 52 Dark Angel. She and the old crone took Hippolyte's remains and infused them into the baby to make another genetic daughter of Hippolyta in the form of Donna Troy who has a rightful stake at the throne of Themyscira. She'll be the new queen of Paradise Island later in this story.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 12-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Always Rakzo

I actually thought this was an improvement over the previous issue, less forced dialogue and characterization and more plot being involved.

Plus, it was nice to see Donna back although I wish she would have returned a bit more different than Diana.

Ultimate Member

It's hard to judge Donna's appearance/characterization based off of ONE "reveal" at the end where we get no context and she doesn't speak. So the fact that people are judging is "puzzling" to me. Her getting Power-Girl levels of bust size is annoying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I actually thought this was an improvement over the previous issue, less forced dialogue and characterization and more plot being involved.

Plus, it was nice to see Donna back although I wish she would have returned a bit more different than Diana.

With New 52 Hippolyta having blonde hair, they should have had Donna have blonde hair as well especially with Fury now sporting dark(and red) hair.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I have a theory on what's going on in this story. The blue-skinned sorceress is the New 52 Dark Angel. She and the old crone took Hippolyte's remains and infused them into the baby to make another genetic daughter of Hippolyta in the form of Donna Troy who has a rightful stake at the throne of Themyscira.
    Could be. I'm wondering, though, if the clay baby sculpted by Hippolyta in Secret Origins could be another ingredient in the stew (or could even be the baby in this scene--maybe they had already brought her to life and just had to age and empower her with Hippolyta's essence?) Having been sculpted before Diana's birth, the clay baby, come to life, could have some claim to being Hippolyta's "first" daughter.

Though I don't like the dialogue, I guess the book is still making me curious--so all is not lost.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-17-2014 at 11:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    This is basically how I feel. And it's not that I don't want Diana to express deep feelings; I just want her not to do it in such shallow, uninteresting ways.

There have been some minor improvements, especially in the art, but the dialogue still strikes me as sappy, cliched and pedestrian. I'll probably stay though the first arc, but I'm getting bored; it's nice to see Donna back, but bringing an old character back isn't going to make us for boring writing, for me.
    I gave the previous run 26 issues before ultimate boredom sunk in, your only going to give it 4-5? For shame, for shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Could be. I'm wondering, though, if the clay baby sculpted by Hippolyta in Secret Origins could be another ingredient in the stew (or could even be the baby in this scene--maybe they had already brought her to love and just had to age and empower her with Hippolyta's essence?) Having been sculpted before Diana's birth, the clay baby, come to life, could have some claim to being Hippolyta's "first" daughter.

Though I don't like the dialogue, I guess the book is still making me curious--so all is not lost.

I think you may be right about Donna being the clay baby and Dark Angel(?) and the old crone just needed to age and empower her. With her technically being Hippolyte's first daughter, that would most likely give her right to the throne before Diana.

Man they really turned wonder woman into a cry baby
    "wah life is so hard all these things are happening to me and I can't deal with all of them at the same time wah"
    Now we have clay baby donna troy

Sooo....Hippolyta is dead? That's it? That's disappointing...

Especially seeing as how we've seen so little of her in the New 52 =/

Glad Donna is back tho! Long overdue, I had hoped it could've been done with Hippolyta's sacrifice