Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Speaking as a guy who has little use for the "New52" DCU -

I took one look at whatever was going on on the penultimate page, and could not decide if I should fall over laughing or crumple this issue up and throw it over my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Your clearly disrespecting me. That's like me saying 'no disrespect to you Darius, but you don't have a logical bone in your body'. You see, since I said no disrespect it makes everything I say good.
    My apologies ... My post was meant as "props" to an excellent response to your disrespect of Silvanus opinion.

I also offered no insult to you in my response so no, saying "you have no logic" is not the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    My apologies ... My post was meant as "props" to an excellent response to your disrespect of Silvanus opinion.

I also offered no insult to you in my response so no, saying "you have no logic" is not the same.
    I didn't disrespect Silvanus in any way. If I did, then I hope he tells me that

You made a post entirely about me and that felt insulting or disrespectful to me. My response was to say something in kind to let you know that I didn't appreciate it.

In addition, the idea that two beings who can each lift a battleship were training with staffs was laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I didn't disrespect Silvanus in any way. If I did, then I hope he tells me that

You made a post entirely about me and that felt insulting or disrespectful to me. My response was to say something in kind to let you know that I didn't appreciate it.
    I made no disrespectful comment to you. I stated that Silvanus made a wonderful response nothing more. I offered no insult to you (like saying you have no logical bones in your body). I also apologized for your perception rather than taking a "tit-for-tatt" approach. This is my last response to you regarding this as the mods (rightfully) will soon tell us to zip it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In addition, the idea that two beings who can each lift a battleship were training with staffs was laughable.

Until the someone like the Parasite comes along and steals their powers and they have to rely on something else to defeat him.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Until the someone like the Parasite comes along and steals their powers and they have to rely on something else to defeat him.
    Diana is an Amazon and Superman has plenty of time in hitting opponents. That's before you even consider how bad of a plan "Attack The Parasite with a bo staff" is.

Diana is an Amazon and Superman has plenty of time in hitting opponents. That's before you even consider how bad of a plan "Attack The Parasite with a bo staff" is.

What I'm suggesting is that they need to keep their hand to hand combat skills sharp for when they can't rely on their powers. This certainly isn't the first time Diana has practiced with or used a staff or another kind of weapon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

This is my last response to you regarding this as the mods (rightfully) will soon tell us to zip it.
    And with that let's get back to Wonder Woman #37 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    What I'm suggesting is that they need to keep their hand to hand combat skills sharp for when they can't rely on their powers. This certainly isn't the first time Diana has practiced with or used a staff or another kind of weapon.
    That's sort of the point. Who is the better "bo staff" sparring partner? An island full of warrior women or a guy who punches things?

Just seems sort of goofy to me.

That's sort of the point. Who is the better "bo staff" sparring partner? An island full of warrior women or a guy who punches things?

Just seems sort of goofy to me.

Since an early issue of Superman/Wonder Woman, Diana has been training Clark on how to fight. This is most likely a continuation of that.

Astonishing Member

I see your point. But to be honest no one should bottle up their emotions from those closest to them. I doubt the intent here is about her seeking male support so much as her seeking the support of those closest to her.
    I agree, but a problem for me is that it seems like she has been bottling up her emotions to the point where the emotional dam needs to completely implode, which makes her seem less "emotionally intelligent" than I expect her to be. She first tries to avoid the subject with Superman, and then just dumps all of her emotions out without being insightful or articulate about them. Azz's WW had no trouble openly mourning Ares, for example, at the end of 23, and I don't think she'd need to suddenly burst out with "I killed my mentor!" In 35, she said "I am god of war...etc. etc. ...but all I really need is to be Diana"; hear she says that now that she's god of war she's terrified she's going to lose herself; so it kind of seems like she's regressed.

It's not that she shouldn't still feel the need to talk about all this, but that when she does so it all sounds unprocessed, like she's been blocking it all out and not working on coming to terms with anything. Talking about it in this "dam break" kind of way not only makes her look emotionally unintelligent or unreflective or immature, but also is less than interesting to read; if she's taught it through more (or, honestly, if the writer had) she had have some more distinctive way of talking about it: a poetic phrase, a metaphor, an old Amazons adage--something!

(On the other hand, to be fair, now I'm starting to wonder if the actual dam break in issue 1 was more of a metaphor than I read it as.)
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-17-2014 at 06:12 PM.

It is? Why?

Astonishing Member

Well, ... I don't love it. Like others have mentioned, it feels like an improvement in some areas. But, I just don't like some of the choices as well as some of the execution (esp the execution).

Best part is the Darwin Cooke cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So Azz brought Hippolyta back (mostly) at the end of his run, only for Finchx2 to immediately kill her off again. Well that was underwhelmingly pointless.
    Well, it's not like Azzarello's return of Hippolyta wasn't little more than underwhelmingly pointless. She threw a spear, she'd a tear, and ... nothing. Nadda. I'm not a big fan of the 'kill her off to bring her back to kill her off again;' they play this game with the Amazons far too often. If Azzarello (and editorial) knew what Finch had planned for this story, perhaps it would have worked better to not bring her back?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I agree, but a problem for me is that it seems like she has been bottling up her emotions to the point where the emotionally dam needs to completely implode, which makes her seem less "emotionally intelligent" than I expect her to be. She first tries to avoid the subject with Superman, and then just dumps all of her emotions out without being insightful or articulate about them. Azz's WW had no trouble openly mourning Ares, for example, at the end of 23, and I don't think she'd need to suddenly burst out with "I killed my mentor!"

It's not that she shouldn't still feel the need to talk about all this, but that when she does so it all sounds unprocessed, like she's been blocking it all out and not working on coming to terms with anything. Talking about it in this "dam break" kind of way not only makes her look emotionally unintelligent or immature, but also is less than interesting to read; if she's taught it through more (or, honestly, if the writer had) she had have some more distinctive way of talking about it: a poetic phrase, a metaphor, an old Amazons adage--something!

(On the other hand, to be fair, now I'm starting to wonder if the actual dam break in issue 1 was more of a metaphor than I read it as.)
    Even emotionally intelligent people have less than perfect emotional moments. I thought last issue got a little heavy handed on this, but this issue was better. Azzarello only gave Diana brief moments, then she moves on. This can show resilience, but it also is not fully dealing with it.

The death of a parent generally is not something many people only cry once about and then it's over. Killing a mentor - something I can only imagine - has got to be a BIG mixed bag, and the end of 23 is only the beginning of working through it. Azzarello didn't even do a great job of establishing just what it means to be the new god of war.

Azzarello left her with a lot on her plate and little time for really processing it.

Maybe these are magic staffs from her magic bracelets? And Dr. Poison makes a good point; she's training him. Besides, as much as I love the Amazons when written well, none of them can match her stretch and speed.
    Last edited by Awonder; 12-17-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It is? Why?
    In addition to what I've already brought up, the decision to practice fighting with staffs when each of them is aware that an entire village was just wiped out and even Swamp Thing showed up to investigate is just flat out dumb.

There is an obviously mysterious threat to town/villages/cities all over the planet earth. What should our response be? I know! Bo staff fighting practice!

Like I said, dumb.