Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Since an early issue of Superman/Wonder Woman, Diana has been training Clark on how to fight. This is most likely a continuation of that.
    they never showed this. It was only a sparring session, I didn't saw her teaching him

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In addition to what I've already brought up, the decision to practice fighting with staffs when each of them is aware that an entire village was just wiped out and even Swamp Thing showed up to investigate is just flat out dumb.

There is an obviously mysterious threat to town/villages/cities all over the planet earth. What should our response be? I know! Bo staff fighting practice!

Like I said, dumb.
    and what about the amazons problem? she should be trying to solve that. Lot of problems but she is sparring with a staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post

Even emotionally intelligent people have less than perfect emotional moments. I thought last issue got a little heavy handed on this, but this issue was better. Azzarello only gave Diana brief moments, then she moves on. This can show resilience, but it also is not fully dealing with it.

The death of a parent generally is not something many people only cry once about and then it's over. Killing a mentor - something I can only imagine - has got to be a BIG mixed bag, and the end of 23 is only the beginning of working through it. Azzarello didn't even do a great job of establishing just what it means to be the new god of war.

Azzarello left her with a lot on her plate and little time for really processing it.

WW was always both, she had few moments but she got over them. I don't know why Finch want to use this stereotype on WW: too much things going on in a woman life and she can't deal wit it
    Last edited by Blacksun; 12-17-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

In addition to what I've already brought up, the decision to practice fighting with staffs when each of them is aware that an entire village was just wiped out and even Swamp Thing showed up to investigate is just flat out dumb.

There is an obviously mysterious threat to town/villages/cities all over the planet earth. What should our response be? I know! Bo staff fighting practice!

Like I said, dumb.
    There is a war for heaven. Much of London is destroyed. She does not make sure First Born is locked away. She does absolutely nothing to help London rebuild. She goes apartment hunting. It's comic books.

Astonishing Member

The death of a parent generally is not something many people only cry once about and then it's over.....
    I completely agree, but like I said, "It's not that she shouldn't still feel the need to talk about all this, but that when she does so it all sounds unprocessed, like she's been blocking it all out and not working on coming to terms with anything." Whether she's talked about it on panel enough or not, personally I'd like her to sounds like she has been working on it, at least in her head. Basically, I just want her to talk about it it in a more interesting, insightful, or articulate way--like I said, give me an Amazon adage or non-cliched metaphor or something other than just "breaking point" and "losing myself."
    Last edited by Silvanus; 12-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Like I said, dumb.
    Do they even know at this point that this is a recurring thing? If I recall its only later in the issue that Cyborg calls in with the note that the same thing has happened again. Anyway I thought you were talking about the very idea of practicing with bo staffs, since you mentioned the ability to lift battleships or some such. This being your true beef I have absolutely no issue with. It was indeed a very odd placement in the narrative if this is an ongoing investigation...my memory is foggy on that for some reason.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    and what about the amazons problem? she should be trying to solve that.
    Valid point.

I was just laying out that a sparring session vs. making the guy with the enhanced senses give the once over to destruction that brought Swamp Thing out of the woodwork is an odd call, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I thought you were talking about the very idea of practicing with bo staffs, since you mentioned the ability to lift battleships or some such. This being your true beef I have absolutely no issue with. It was indeed a very odd placement in the narrative.
    Honestly, it's all of the things I've mentioned when you add them up. It goes from "Well, maybe" to "You've got to be kidding me".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C-IN2 View Post
    It's just SUCH a tired and hackneyed stereotype of a woman who has too many responsibilities and is too emotionally imbalanced to handle her problems. So she goes on a crazy tirade to the nearest male figure whose job is to reinforce the idea that women are emotionally weak and possess the inability to face their problems while men are naturally well-balanced and have their sh** together.

It's a tragedy we see this from a feminist icon.
    another good point. The stereotype here is insulting. I read 4 women solo books today, this was by far the worst. And 2 books there is something really bad going on
    look the hell Batman is going on in eternal, and he is not whining.

Quote Originally Posted by C-IN2 View Post
    I'm dropping this book. In less then two issues, we have Wonder Woman whining like a shrill shrew about how hard her life is to two male superheroes who tell her how to live her life.

Wonder Woman isn't a Whiner.

She deals with her problems with head up high and she doesn't have a meltdown on whatever poor soul is nearby.

I noticed this too. Always men that she whines and they help/try to help her.

I want the WW who deals with problems like a strong person again.

BREAKING POINT? who say something like this? wth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I completely agree, but like I said, "It's not that she shouldn't still feel the need to talk about all this, but that when she does so it all sounds unprocessed, like she's been blocking it all out and not working on coming to terms with anything." I just want her to talk about it it in a more interesting, insightful, or articulate way--like I said, give me an Amazon adage or non-cliched metaphor or something other than just "breaking point" and "losing myself."
    I understand wanting interesting reading - but what "interesting, insightful, [and/]or articulate" Amazon adage does Azzarello have her say when she killed Ares? It's not like he really worked wonders here; he mostly chose to show her resolve by showing her recover quickly, but it's not like he does a great job (imo) of showing her coming to terms in any meaningful way other than her cliched proclamation in 35. Even her reunion with her mother was more about Strife and what cliche to call her.

As for her not being overly articulate here, it's emotions. And A LOT of them. Emotions tend not to bring out the articulate side of us; they often leave even the best of us at a loss for words.

Eta - I feel like people are being too hard on the use of the phrase "breaking point." She isn't the one to bring it up; it's Clark because he's concerned about how much she has gone through and is going through. He should be concerned if he cares about her. She only re-uses his choice of terms after (re)listing (in comic book catch-you-up on the plot dialogue) all that she has to deal with. She's way past the "breaking point" for most people, but she moves forward because she isn't broken. This is a continuation of Azzarello's Diana.
    Last edited by Awonder; 12-17-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    BREAKING POINT? who say something like this? wth
    I've been trying to let that one go....

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I thought it was awesome, myself.

I like what the Finches are doing. This feels a LOT more like Wonder Woman than the last three years.

Can't wait to see Donna in this book again.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

I didn't saw that before lol Trying to hard to make a point

The only thing troubling I see going on is the insinuation that its wrong for a female to vent to a male. Be damned that one happens to be a friend and the other is her boyfriend. They're icky boys, so no venting to them or else you're a weak woman.

What a warping of the idea of the empowered woman.

I think she's trying to channel some Buffy into Diana with Whedon-esque language and pronunciation. Don't know if it really works for me personally, but I'm an old guy now. I think I know where she's coming from though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2014 at 07:18 PM.

BANNED

I understand wanting interesting reading - but what "interesting, insightful, [and/]or articulate" Amazon adage does Azzarello have her say when she killed Ares? It's not like he really worked wonders here; he mostly chose to show her resolve by showing her recover quickly, but it's not like he does a great job (imo) of showing her coming to terms in any meaningful way other than her cliched proclamation in 35. Even her reunion with her mother was more about Strife and what cliche to call her.

As for her not being overly articulate here, it's emotions. And A LOT of them. Emotions tend not to bring out the articulate side of us; they often leave even the best of us at a loss for words.

Eta - I feel like people are being too hard on the use of the phrase "breaking point." She isn't the one to bring it up; it's Clark because he's concerned about how much she has gone through and is going through. He should be concerned if he cares about her. She only re-uses his choice of terms after (re)listing (in comic book catch-you-up on the plot dialogue) all that she has to deal with. She's way past the "breaking point" for most people, but she moves forward because she isn't broken. This is a continuation of Azzarello's Diana.
    War is dead many issues ago. She got over it, it doesn't need to get more cover; She is WW she is strong.
    I know women who went to much harder times but didn't whine. kept it strong.

Too hard on breaking point? It's not the first time Finch forces something in the plot. It's the old: show, do not tell. Again she does a recap of all her emotional problems. It's a boring thing to do and very poor storytelling

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Like I said, dumb.

The trail seems to have gone cold. There's nothing left to investigate at the point the sparring match takes place.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    This feels a LOT more like Wonder Woman than the last three years.

QFT.

(10 char)
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.