Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Maybe if Soule hadn't left DC, the "Wonderstar" story would have been about Donna's introduction to the new DCU. I still wish we had gotten his take on the character. So far, I don't get what Finch is doing. I have so many questions: Why is there suddenly an old crone on the island of immortal women? Do these issues take place in some kind of pocket of time between issues of Superman/Wonder Woman? Diana's behavior and reaction to events are too different between the two series. Did Finch not know that Azzerello was bringing Hippolyta back at the end of his run? The "lost mother again" seems inserted--the story of Diana being queen was already written and Hippolyta had to be written out quickly. Where did the baby in this issue come from? There were no sex-raids in Diana's lifetime, and not enough time has passed for one of the men on the island to be the father. Does the child (who we are to presume is Donna) have a divine father? Where is Zola and Zeke? Wouldn't there be attempts on their lives while Diana is away? Why would Diana want to be around people who hated her most of her life and don't show any respect for her now that she isn't only their Queen, but also their Goddess? They are a warrior-race. They need to give War more respect.

My gut reaction to the last page was that that isn't the way to re-introduce Donna...just like the Earth 2 Fury was not a good way to bring back "Lyta" (if that is her name). I will see how the story plays out before completely dismissing everything. These questions might get answered, but I feel that DC has really done a poor job in general with most of their New 52 re-inventions.
    Not Peter David.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Maybe, but March solicits kind of spoil this
    defeat does not always equal kill. You're making unfounded assumptions, just because you have chose to hate something, based on ONE panel. Also, people are born naked, if she had been stood up, more would have been exposed, they needed to show she was rising up out of the cauldron.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    These questions might get answered, but I feel that DC has really done a poor job in general with most of their New 52 re-inventions.
    I guess that is a matter or perspective. As a "new DC reader" I am really loving what is going on with Wonder Woman now. My impression is that DC wanted to be able to tell new stories about their characters, so without any knowledge of whoever Donna was before I can say that right now I am actually intrigued to see where this story goes and, since even I know she is supposed to be a major character, see how her story plays out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I guess that is a matter or perspective. As a "new DC reader" I am really loving what is going on with Wonder Woman now. My impression is that DC wanted to be able to tell new stories about their characters, so without any knowledge of whoever Donna was before I can say that right now I am actually intrigued to see where this story goes and, since even I know she is supposed to be a major character, see how her story plays out.
    I guess it's working for them if they are getting new readers. I think there could have been a way of telling new stories without drastically changing characters' origins and personalities. It's too soon to say anything about Donna, so we'll see how it goes.
    Not Peter David.

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    I guess it's working for them if they are getting new readers. I think there could have been a way of telling new stories without drastically changing characters' origins and personalities. It's too soon to say anything about Donna, so we'll see how it goes.
    I think in Donna's case, a new origin was necessary. She was a mess before hand. Generally I agree, origins and personalities dont really need to be messed with, beyond a minor tweak here and there to keep it contemporary. Donna just happens to be an exception to that. Well, as far as origins go, her personality was fine before, and we have no idea what she'll actually end up like now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I said it before. Yes, I wanted to see Donna back. But I figured that it was necessary to wait until all the filth that was dumped on the Amazons to be scrubbed away before it was possible to bring her back.

This new origin, where she's the product of human sacrifice and black magic, and is returning not as a sister but as an enemy, is exactly what I was afraid of. Wonder Woman's world was not ready until the vandalism is finally undone. She really doesn't have a world of her own or a supporting cast any more. And she can't have one until the Amazons are good people again.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I said it before. Yes, I wanted to see Donna back. But I figured that it was necessary to wait until all the filth that was dumped on the Amazons to be scrubbed away before it was possible to bring her back.

This new origin, where she's the product of human sacrifice and black magic, and is returning not as a sister but as an enemy, is exactly what I was afraid of. Wonder Woman's world was not ready until the vandalism is finally undone. She really doesn't have a world of her own or a supporting cast any more. And she can't have one until the Amazons are good people again.
    Lemme get this straight -

Good Amazons = Baddies who won't sacrifice folks or use black magic?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Great! I love reading stuff like this. I'm hoping the new interest in this book, showing up in at least 3 (!) movies corrals a new legion of Wonder Woman fans like you.

Ultimate Member

Or she's going to switch sides and join WW and co. In fact, I'm betting that that's what's going to happen. It doesn't take a mind-reader to see that. Donna's origins are a mess, writers cannot help but keep going back and messing with it. Streamlining it is probably a good idea. I want to see where it goes before bemoaning about how the sky is falling.

Oh and the Amazons are an ancient society operating with a different "code" than modern-day people. Trying to judge "morality" using modern standards is always going to be problematic. I wasn't a fan of how the Amazons were portrayed, but saying that they're "bad people" is tricky. It's more like "they're people from a different time when things were very different."

I'm still trying to figure out why The Finch's felt the need to kill off (apparently) Hippolyta so soon after Azz brought her back. It's really puzzling to me.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm not sure I would classify what Azz did with Hippolyta towards the end of his run as bringing her back to life. Given that she was still stone, I think reanimated fits a little better. Perhaps Hera's spell only lasted a short time and Hippolyta became inanimate again after the First Born went into the pit.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member

Perhaps, but then that should be stated in the issue. You shouldn't have to come up with possible scenarios in your head to explain this stuff. That's the writer's job. As it stands, it's come across as "well she's dead now, for reasons."

And another ban issued.

Guys, I can't say this enough - stop with the bashing of the Azzarello run in non-Azzarello threads. I get that some of you really disliked that run, and there are entire threads dedicated to voicing your opinion in that regard.

You can reference Azzarello's run as it pertains to what the Finches are doing, but if the only thing in your post is 'I hated when Azzarello...' then expect it to be deleted and a ban to follow.

Let's keep things on topic, please.

edit: My apologies for a couple of posts that were deleted that did, indeed, pertain to the topic. However, since the branch of discussion began with and then quoted a deleted message, they had to go as well. Please feel free to re-post without reference to deleted messages.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not sure I would classify what Azz did with Hippolyta towards the end of his run as bringing her back to life. Given that she was still stone, I think reanimated fits a little better. Perhaps Hera's spell only lasted a short time and Hippolyta became inanimate again after the First Born went into the pit.
    Huh?

He probably just got confused and forgot that it was Zeke/Zeus that reanimated Stone-Hippolyta. Either way, I don't think its up to Finch in this instance to explain why and when Zeke's spell wore off. She was obviously a golem, and to me it was more up to Azz to bring her back entirely at the end of his story if that was his intent. By leaving her stone, it made it pretty clear to me that she wasn't "back". Its not Finch's responsibility, imo. Don't get me wrong, she could have whipped something up, but I don't feel it was absolutely 100% necessary because when Azz didn't wrap up the situation, again I think the most logical assumption is that she wasn't actually back for good since she never recovered from the stone status.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-19-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    He probably just got confused and forgot that it was Zeke/Zeus that reanimated Stone-Hippolyta. Either way, I don't think its up to Finch in this instance to explain why and when Zeke's spell wore off. She was obviously a golem, and to me it was more up to Azz to either bring her back entirely or show she was turned back into stone in his story. Its not Finch's responsibility, imo. Don't get me wrong, she could have whipped something up, but I don't feel it was absolutely 100% necessary because when Azz didn't wrap up the situation, I think most people immediately assumed she wasn't actually back since she never recovered from the stone status.
    While I hadn't thought of this, should we be using the spoiler tags?