BANNED

Default anyone else have a problem getting a decent consistent pull list working?(Curse Impulse Buys!)

I'm always dropping and adding books at some point because there's always new stuff I'm interested in but i can't go overboard with it but eventually i find myself at between 12-14 books on my list and right now I'm considering dropping 4-5 books just to add some new ones i really want...and to save some money

but man those impulse buys really screw you over....you try to stay away from new books and stick to what you already pull but eventually you fail in that department and the list just gets bigger...

i don't know what to do...at best i could probably knock off 4-5 books and add 2...dropping my list from 12 or so books down to 8-9 i can't make any drastic changes right now but I'd like to be able to have a list that doesn't depress me every time i look at it.....unfortunately there's a lot of books i currently enjoy on the pull list I've thrown together on TFAW.Com that i can't even imagine where I'd begin if i started throwing dumping books

although if i don't start dumping books soon the impulse buys might get to be a major problem and I'll be dumping books faster than before just to keep the pull list from growing too much

the question is...what books do you dump in this situation?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    I'm always dropping and adding books at some point because there's always new stuff I'm interested in but i can't go overboard with it but eventually i find myself at between 12-14 books on my list and right now I'm considering dropping 4-5 books just to add some new ones i really want...and to save some money

but man those impulse buys really screw you over....you try to stay away from new books and stick to what you already pull but eventually you fail in that department and the list just gets bigger...

i don't know what to do...at best i could probably knock off 4-5 books and add 2...dropping my list from 12 or so books down to 8-9 i can't make any drastic changes right now but I'd like to be able to have a list that doesn't depress me every time i look at it.....unfortunately there's a lot of books i currently enjoy on the pull list I've thrown together on TFAW.Com that i can't even imagine where I'd begin if i started throwing dumping books

although if i don't start dumping books soon the impulse buys might get to be a major problem and I'll be dumping books faster than before just to keep the pull list from growing too much

the question is...what books do you dump in this situation?
    I just get 5-6 books right now. I have dropped my list down to that now. I'm pretty happy with what I have dropped. If I see a book I really want , I'll give it a try for an issue or two. But beyond that I watch what new stuff I buy now. I'd rather have classic stuff from 60's-80's than newer junk I will hate.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

The last few years I've been very inconsistent, but this year Marvel and DC made it very easy for me to drop all of their titles on a monthly basis, price, pandering and wtf? I'd be reading BOOM's Carpenter adaptations if there was decent art involved.

I am reading two titles regularly (well that is when Slaine is published in 2000AD, otherwise it's one title.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    The impulse buys, man. They'll kill ya. I'm terrible to go, "Oh, well, it's just a couple more dollars..." when I've already got a giant pull-list (my signature is actually incomplete) and I justify it further by reminding myself that impulse buys are how I've gotten into some of my favorite books I wouldn't have otherwise looked into.

I'm going to have to drop some titles eventually. What I've decided to do is pick up issues of a book to feel it out and test the waters. Then if I decide I like it, my plan is to eventually drop floppies and trade-wait. But... that's not exactly how things are going right now ^^;;

To answer your other question, though, about what books you would drop... if the quality of a book has been dropping pretty consistently over several issues to the point where you no longer enjoy it, then that might be the time to consider dropping it.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I dropped comics very briefly and came back with Marvel Now. I told myself "just 10 books, easy". I now buy the 16 books in my sig. In print and buy 6-7 Image/Boom! books digitally. Add that I want to add Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Spider-Gwen and Howard the Duck and Rumble and my list is nearly three times what I intended.

I tend to code swap with my Marvel books and try to justify it as buy one get one free or $1.99 books. In truth though, I continue to buy some books I don't particularly enjoy just to swap for codes I redeem but don't read.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Have you thought about going digital? Then you're not obliged to keep buying things you aren't enjoying just because you requested them

IMO most books are hot garbage. There's maybe, MAYBE 5 books that I'd spend $$$ as a trade only.

"Impulse Buy" is reserved for something different and has to WOW me. Like a black&white phone book sized collection of Savage Dragon Vol II. Yeah, Larson I'm looking at you.

007 girl.

My pull-list right now is less than 10 books. But nothing is safe. If Roc Upchurch was still doing Rat Queens after playing slappy-face with his ex, I'd dump that faster than you can say Rat Droppings.

I'm buying books like Amazing Spidey from Marvel, Batman from New 52, TOMB RAIDER!! from Dark Horse, Wytches, Outcast etc...but I can also drop these like turds if they become...well turds.

I still end up with about 15-20 new books per month. Impulse buying can be more fun. And besides, ex pull-list books become back-issues that you can suddenly get a good deal on 6-12 months later, so you don't really lose out.

Besides, when I go to comic conventions with a wants list I spent quite some time preparing, what I come home with always looks 100% different.