Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Fear of terrorism

The whole controversy surrounding Seth Rogen's movie "The Interview" and the threats made by those hackers over it, leaves me wondering: has the fear of terrorism gone too far?

Pulling a movie over online threats. The fear of ISIS causing not just a pointless change in a cartoon (something I read a while back), but even forcing a business that happened to be spelled ISIS when shortened to change it's name, because of paranoid idiots who thought the ISIS militants would be dumb enough to have a base right in the open on US soil. I remember a thread a while back on the CBR boards suggesting a team of superheroes taking on ISIS, and a poster disagreeing with the idea purely out of fear that ISIS would retaliate. Jeez.

If Taliban terrorists started demanding that women in the US wear burquas, would laws requiring them to do so be passed?

Extraordinary Member

Not enough is being done if you ask me, but yes, the fear of terrorism is increasing. I think people are justified in it however, but there will always be some who go too far.

Honestly, we've been at this same level of fear since 9/11. And it's not all the government's or the media's doing. There's something perversely righteous about it, all tied up in the notion that "they hate us for our freedom". We're all heroic victims of persecution now. Ever since Vietnam, we've struggled to avoid confronting the reality that we're the world's bully; now, at long last, we can bask in the luxury of being the victim.

As far as the "The Interview" thing goes, though, Hollywood is built on cowardice, so I'm not particularly surprised that the poltroons at Sony and Carmike Cinemas dove under their desks with a shriek. Disgusted, but not surprised.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Perhaps if the Aurora shootings hadn't taken place, there wouldn't be this level of paranoia over the threats regarding that movie. All it takes is one unbalanced lunatic with a gun and the will to use it in a crowded multiplex to unleash chaos. I've heard talk that Sony might scrap showing The Interview in theaters altogether, making it perhaps one of the costliest direct-to-video fiascos ever.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

It would seem that the "strategy" to fight terrorism is to give in a terrorist's demands.

I guess saying "we don't negotiate with terrorists" really means that when terrorists tell people to jump, they must ask "how high?" without hesitation. Or they must just jump, as asking "how high?" before doing so would probably be too risky in itself.

"Land of the free, home of the brave", heh. Not to single out the US, as every countries have been or will be guilty of giving into fear at some point in their history.

All of this makes the boat scene in the Dark Knight all the more hilarious. Such a realistic depiction of the typical citizen's bravery (lol).

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Regardless of whatever Sony itself reacts with, I'm extremely dissapointed that 5 of the major US cinema chains dropped the film out of fear.

A HUGE percentage of theaters essentially just dropped it, ie gave the hackers *exactly* what they wanted to happen. It's very frustrating to see that this group now knows they can get away with this, and so can continue to do it for anything else they want to boycott, even if it was just for shits and giggles.

BANNED

This whole Sony hack just really showed how despicable the American media and public really are. They knew this hack was terroristic threat based on the politics of the movie. It invaded people's personal information and conversations. But it was gleefully reported and discussed because "lulz this is good gossip". Now that same group that they all aided and abetted is threatening to attack a movie theater, and now they are being taken seriously. And now we look like the world's biggest cowards and hypocrites

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    This whole Sony hack just really showed how despicable the American media and public really are. They knew this hack was terroristic threat based on the politics of the movie. It invaded people's personal information and conversations. But it was gleefully reported and discussed because "lulz this is good gossip". Now that same group that they all aided and abetted is threatening to attack a movie theater, and now they are being taken seriously. And now we look like the world's biggest cowards and hypocrites
    Hey, you know how it goes in the media: If it bleeds, it leads!

Meanwhile, I read in my local fishwrap this afternoon that the cyber terrorists who issued those threats against The Interview might be disgruntled Sony IT employees, and that the entire Sony hacking incident might be an inside job.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

You are more likely to die by a bee sting then terrorism.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Maybe we should waterboard all the bees then.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DS1 View Post
    If Taliban terrorists started demanding that women in the US wear burquas, would laws requiring them to do so be passed?
    I honestly don't think so, DS1

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Not enough is being done if you ask me, but yes, the fear of terrorism is increasing. I think people are justified in it however, but there will always be some who go too far.
    We live ij a life that all preceding gerations would call fanatically safe, and many of us a scared all the time.

I think that too many people are cowardly children, pretending to be adults

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    We live ij a life that all preceding gerations would call fanatically safe, and many of us a scared all the time.

I think that too many people are cowardly children, pretending to be adults
    It's really sad. People think they live in some untouchable safety bubble, and when something shows them that yeah the world is global, people have reach in and out of your sphere, it can effect you, they piss their pants. I can imagine what would happen today if a Cuban Missile Crisis or Pearl Harbor like attack happened. I think we literally would start a nuclear war out of fear.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Exactly, there was a time when journalists and the general populace understood therir responsibility not to aid the enemy. Now it seems like it's more important to report the latest hacker leak on an upcoming comic book movie than to consider the source of those leaks. It's like buying drugs off of people connected to orgnanized crime--not only are you obtaining an lllegal substance but you're supporting an organization that kills and enslaves people.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    I honestly don't think so, DS1
    I was being sarcastic when I asked that question.

I hope.