Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd hesitate to draw conclusions about the American public from this. The decision was made by a handful of executives; and they're probably more worried about post-attack lawsuits than they are about any actual attack.

General nonscientific poll question: has anyone heard a friend or acquaintance say, "I wouldn't go to that movie anyway, I'm afraid of a terrorist attack"?

Most of the reaction I've seen has been frustration and annoyance at the theaters, not fear of terrorism. I think most people are really past that.

õ
    Until the next actual attack, anyway!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

It's probably be more poignant if this wasn't obviously another "Judd Apatow and his pals bore you with the same riffs they've already done 15 times" movie. I never had any intention of seeing this PoS.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I'd hesitate to draw conclusions about the American public from this. The decision was made by a handful of executives; and they're probably more worried about post-attack lawsuits than they are about any actual attack.
    BINGO! That's exactly what's driving the cancellation of The Interview. Those suits couldn't give half a damn about the public, but they're scared to death of getting sued should a multiplex get shot up. Anyone who thinks differently is naive.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    It's probably be more poignant if this wasn't obviously another "Judd Apatow and his pals bore you with the same riffs they've already done 15 times" movie. I never had any intention of seeing this PoS.
    At least the topic was not done to death.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    BINGO! That's exactly what's driving the cancellation of The Interview. Those suits couldn't give half a damn about the public, but they're scared to death of getting sued should a multiplex get shot up. Anyone who thinks differently is naive.
    I miss the old days, when theaters were a lot more flexible about the possibility of audience deaths.

õ
    The threat level is roughly equivalent!

Couple of stoners get dragged into a situation way over their heads and illegal? Yeah, never saw them do THAT before.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

Invincible Member

Right! And we need to remember that Sony only pulled the movie because several theater owners refused to show it. And if they don't show it, Sony doesn't make any money so they probably just figured what's the point?

Having said that, all it would take is one guy who didn't take his meds one mourning and tried to throw a molotov, to open up the chains and the studio to all kinds of lawsuits.

They should never have pulled the movie; because that's giving in. You cannot negotiate with terrorists. EVER! Because the second they see it works, it while never stop.

Couple of stoners get dragged into a situation way over their heads and illegal? Yeah, never saw them do THAT before.
    Yes, 'Dox, we know you're old.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

A side issue regarding the Sony hacking incident: What does this mean for members of the Playstation Network like myself? Are we at risk from those nutjobs?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A side issue regarding the Sony hacking incident: What does this mean for members of the Playstation Network like myself? Are we at risk from those nutjobs?
    I doubt it. They seem to have targeted Sony Pictures specifically.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

Michael P gets a cane waved at him:

Yes, 'Dox, we know you're old.
    You don't have to be old to be bored with their repetitiveness. It's all been within a little more than a decade. Can't blame them for striking while their iron is hot, but it all has this pervasive coating of sameness.
    'Dox out.

You don't have to be old to be bored with their repetitiveness. It's all been within a little more than a decade. Can't blame them for striking while their iron is hot, but it all has this pervasive coating of sameness.
    Only they don't play stoners, and Judd Apatow has nothing to do with it.

Ah...well...um...I am woefully uninformed and shamed, then.

Wow, I missed that one by a mile. I could have sworn...
    'Dox out.

Quote Originally Posted by DS1 View Post
    It would seem that the "strategy" to fight terrorism is to give in a terrorist's demands.

I guess saying "we don't negotiate with terrorists" really means that when terrorists tell people to jump, they must ask "how high?" without hesitation. Or they must just jump, as asking "how high?" before doing so would probably be too risky in itself.

"Land of the free, home of the brave", heh. Not to single out the US, as every countries have been or will be guilty of giving into fear at some point in their history.

All of this makes the boat scene in the Dark Knight all the more hilarious. Such a realistic depiction of the typical citizen's bravery (lol).
    And that a huge segment wants to throw our ideals and principles out the window as soon as there's a threat that requires us to stick to those principles and then accuses the side that wants to stick to them of being unpatriotic and hating America.

The thing is, that scene in the DK is my favorite scene in all the DK movies. Not so much that nobody pulls the trigger but that the one guy who won't stoop to mass slaughtering children and women on the other ship is himself a murderer but not a child murderer. "Give it to me and I will do what you should have done 5 minutes ago" or whatever the exact number of minutes.