Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    007 girl.

Question Do you support the death penalty?

I'm a UK girl who also spends a lot of time in the sunny, southern caribbean and there's talk here about re-introducing the death penalty.

I'm all for it of course, although I think hanging is outdated. Basically, they hang you, leave you there swinging for a stipulated 45 minutes, by which time you've crapped your pants and the noose cuts through your neck, not to mention the bulging eyes, tongue etc. I've seen a suicide victim up close, and no, I did not take selfies.

Basically, I have no sympathy for criminals and am halfway tempted to attend Parliament that day and join those lobbying for its return.

Just wondering what consensus is like here.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

I want to say no.

I do not. It's barbaric and unnecessary.

I'm agin' it. (Although, in the interests of accuracy, a proper hanging snaps the neck instantly.)
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

I'm against it. But not vehemently so, and I'll shed no tears for killers who do hang.

Basically, I'm with Nolan's Batman. "Just because I'm not going to kill you, doesn't mean I have to save you."

BANNED

nope. the criminal justice system is way too flawed. a disturbing number of forensic science is unreliable and some are just bunk, not to mention the lack of universal standards in collecting and assessing the evidence and those doing the testing and coming up with the conclusions. checking out the stories at the innocence project web page should be sobering

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    nope. the criminal justice system is way too flawed. a disturbing number of forensic science is unreliable and some are just bunk, not to mention the lack of universal standards in collecting and assessing the evidence and those doing the testing and coming up with the conclusions. checking out the stories at the innocence project web page should be sobering
    This. Plus the fact that the death penalty verdict tends to be ridiculously racially and socioeconomically biased in this country. I guess i'm not opposed to it from a moral standpoint, but only for those who kill. However, there is just too much corruption in the justice system for it to have that kind of power.

BANNED

Depending on the crime I am for the death penalty. Society shouldn't have to continue to support and take care of people who only seem to be hendering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Depending on the crime I am for the death penalty. Society shouldn't have to continue to support and take care of people who only seem to be hendering it.
    Death penalty is actually more expensive. Try again.

It's more costly than a life sentence, and it's a product of a racially, socioeconomically biased system that has shown it's incompetence all too often.

Nope, nope, and nope. Hell, I don't even think death is that much of a punishment compared to letting them wallow away in their thoughts.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    I agree. I would support it if not for the probability of killing innocent men. Even one innocent killed is one too many.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Nope. Mainly because it doesn't deter crime. You can hold executions every month, every week, every damn day, and absolutely nothing would change.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Nope. Mainly because it doesn't deter crime. You can hold xecutions every month, every week, every damn day, and absolutely nothing would change.
    Although according to Carlin, if you market it right, you could balance the budget.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Although according to Carlin, if you market it right, you could balance the budget.
    Ironically, the bloodthirsty lizard-brains who would pay good money to watch the execution of somebody who may or may not have actually committed the crime for which they're being sentenced to death, are the same ones who piss and moan about 'their' money being used on stuff that would go a long way towards preventing a lot of crime to begin with; better education for the socio-economically disadvantaged, diversion and job programs for at-risk youth, etc.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Ironically, the bloodthirsty lizard-brains who would pay good money to watch the execution of somebody who may or may not have actually committed the crime for which they're being sentenced to death, are the same ones who piss and moan about 'their' money being used on stuff that would go a long way towards preventing a lot of crime to begin with; better education for the socio-economically disadvantaged, diversion and job programs for at-risk youth, etc.
    That's not ironic. They want to spend it on entertainment.