Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Comic Newbie, what are some essentials?

Hi Everyone!

I have always been in to superheroes but living in Europe it's not so easy to have access to all these comic books. Now that I have moved out of there (phew) I would like to get back into the Marvel universe!

Basically my question is: As someone who is sort of lagging behind on the marvel knowledge (pretty much all I know is from the movies and/or single issues i've borrowed from friends here and there) what are some of the best Marvel Comic Volumes I can buy?

I've read some reviews and stuff and am leaning towards starting out with buying Thor, Hawkeye, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman, and the New Avengers. What do you all think? Anything else I should add to the list? Is one of those not good for 'beginners'?

Thanks a ton!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dasho View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I have always been in to superheroes but living in Europe it's not so easy to have access to all these comic books. Now that I have moved out of there (phew) I would like to get back into the Marvel universe!

Basically my question is: As someone who is sort of lagging behind on the marvel knowledge (pretty much all I know is from the movies and/or single issues i've borrowed from friends here and there) what are some of the best Marvel Comic Volumes I can buy?

I've read some reviews and stuff and am leaning towards starting out with buying Thor, Hawkeye, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman, and the New Avengers. What do you all think? Anything else I should add to the list? Is one of those not good for 'beginners'?

Thanks a ton!
    Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers is a dark book that intertwines with his Avengers book (which isn't that dark but seems to meander a bit in the beginning, but you discover it's all related). You have to start both from the beginning, IMO.

If you want classic Avengers, I'd recommend Kurt Busiek and George Perez's run, which is getting a new printing, or just got one.

Jason Aaron's Thor is good, but it starts out a bit grim, as you'd expect with the opponent named God Butcher. The classic Thor run, IMO, is Walt Simonson's, which is collected in both paperback and gorgeous omnibus.

Hawkeye struck me as a hipster book, that wasn't a typical superhero book. But some folks really loved it, and the art was innovative.

I'd also recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four run, which is collected in two omnibus, and probably trades, as well.

Do you read digital comics? Marvel has a service that has a ton of comics both old and new (they run six months later than the shops), where you could sample Marvel books or read runs from the last 50 years. It isn't complete (and their Namor selection is abysmal), but for what you get, it's a great deal. I think they are offering a special now, where you cant get the first two months for $10. It's called Marvel Unlimited.

It can help us give you recommendations if you tell us a bit more about the kinds of things you like... just since there's so very many choices.

Darker stories? More comedic stories? Spy stories? Action stories? More personal, character stories? Fantasy? Sci-fi?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers is a dark book that intertwines with his Avengers book (which isn't that dark but seems to meander a bit in the beginning, but you discover it's all related). You have to start both from the beginning, IMO.

If you want classic Avengers, I'd recommend Kurt Busiek and George Perez's run, which is getting a new printing, or just got one.

Jason Aaron's Thor is good, but it starts out a bit grim, as you'd expect with the opponent named God Butcher. The classic Thor run, IMO, is Walt Simonson's, which is collected in both paperback and gorgeous omnibus.

Hawkeye struck me as a hipster book, that wasn't a typical superhero book. But some folks really loved it, and the art was innovative.

I'd also recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four run, which is collected in two omnibus, and probably trades, as well.

Do you read digital comics? Marvel has a service that has a ton of comics both old and new (they run six months later than the shops), where you could sample Marvel books or read runs from the last 50 years. It isn't complete (and their Namor selection is abysmal), but for what you get, it's a great deal. I think they are offering a special now, where you cant get the first two months for $10. It's called Marvel Unlimited.
    Great feedback, thanks! Also, I have never been into digital comics simply because I love the idea of actually having it in print - i love the feeling and think it can't be matched by a screen. However, I should give Marvel unlimited a try because it does look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    It can help us give you recommendations if you tell us a bit more about the kinds of things you like... just since there's so very many choices.

Darker stories? More comedic stories? Spy stories? Action stories? More personal, character stories? Fantasy? Sci-fi?
    To be honest with you, I like pretty much everything! I do love a strong character driven story where you can see the development. Fantasy doesn't do it as much for me. Growing up the big ones for me from Marvel were Spidey (love the humour/action) and the avengers. I might be looking for something a bit more ballsy(?) nowadays.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Great feedback, thanks! Also, I have never been into digital comics simply because I love the idea of actually having it in print - i love the feeling and think it can't be matched by a screen. However, I should give Marvel unlimited a try because it does look awesome!

To be honest with you, I like pretty much everything! I do love a strong character driven story where you can see the development. Fantasy doesn't do it as much for me. Growing up the big ones for me from Marvel were Spidey (love the humour/action) and the avengers. I might be looking for something a bit more ballsy(?) nowadays.
    Do you like older stories or are you a modern only guy? To take Spidey for an example:
    I'd recommend the Lee/Ditko run if you like Silver age comics. If you thibk those are a bit outdated but you still like the older style I'd recommend Stern's run. If you only like recent stuff I'd recommend J Michael Straczynski's stuff. I can give you the "essential" runs for the big characters (or your favorites if you have those) but it's very usefull if I know your preference.
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 12-17-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Sounds like you might get a kick out of the current Ms. Marvel. It's not very "ballsy" and relies on familiar tropes, but it does what it does quite well.

Her first five issues are in tradebook.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Hawkeye is a must-read, Thor is okay, and Miles Morales is cool.

Btw, have you considered buying trade paperbacks online?

I understand completely, and agree. I'd much rather read a book, than a screen. I do have some digital comics, but I mainly use them for the scans in the discussions on forums.

However, I've been considering Marvel Unlimited, myself, to sample some books I wouldn't normally buy, and of course, access to tons more scans. It would probably lead to me buying more books.

I lot of people who like Spidey like Ms. Marvel, it seems. I'm not sure about the humor, as I don't read the book, but it's got lovely art by Adrian Alphona, who did Runaways, another popular series.

If you like character driven stuff, and Thor, perhaps you'd like Kieron Gillen's Thor run, or his even better Kid Loki book, Journey Into Mystery. I think they are collected in 'complete collections' now.

It's not a new series, I think it was cancelled last year, but I enjoyed Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy. It's about Legion, I character I had zero interest in, but I was sucked into the story and all the personalities that made up Legion. It's kind of weird, and got a frenetic British humor, which I love, but it may not appeal to everyone.

Spurrier also did a miniseries called X-Club, which I found hilarious, and is accessible without being knowledgeable about X-stuff. There's a review here:

http://everydayislikewednesday.blogs...ew-x-club.html

And a panel from that review.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Do you like older stories or are you a modern only guy? To take Spidey for an example:
    I'd recommend the Lee/Ditko run if you like Silver age comics. If you thibk those are a bit outdated but you still like the older style I'd recommend Stern's run. If you only like recent stuff I'd recommend J Michael Straczynski's stuff. I can give you the "essential" runs for the big characters (or your favorites if you have those) but it's very usefull if I know your preference.
    I guess right now I would prefer some of the modern stuff, which 'essential' runs would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Sounds like you might get a kick out of the current Ms. Marvel. It's not very "ballsy" and relies on familiar tropes, but it does what it does quite well.

Her first five issues are in tradebook.
    Ahh, I've actually heard good things about it. Guess I'll have to take a look, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hawkeye is a must-read, Thor is okay, and Miles Morales is cool.

Btw, have you considered buying trade paperbacks online?
    Ordered the Hawkeye and Thor already! Good to hear you think they're decent. This might sound very dumb, but please remember I'm new to all this - What are trade paperbacks? So far I've just been buying single volumes off Amazon

All-New Member

I lot of people who like Spidey like Ms. Marvel, it seems. I'm not sure about the humor, as I don't read the book, but it's got lovely art by Adrian Alphona, who did Runaways, another popular series.

If you like character driven stuff, and Thor, perhaps you'd like Kieron Gillen's Thor run, or his even better Kid Loki book, Journey Into Mystery. I think they are collected in 'complete collections' now.

It's not a new series, I think it was cancelled last year, but I enjoyed Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy. It's about Legion, I character I had zero interest in, but I was sucked into the story and all the personalities that made up Legion. It's kind of weird, and got a frenetic British humor, which I love, but it may not appeal to everyone.

Spurrier also did a miniseries called X-Club, which I found hilarious, and is accessible without being knowledgeable about X-stuff. There's a review here:

http://everydayislikewednesday.blogs...ew-x-club.html

And a panel from that review.

Great feedback, thanks!

Ordered the Hawkeye and Thor already! Good to hear you think they're decent. This might sound very dumb, but please remember I'm new to all this - What are trade paperbacks? So far I've just been buying single volumes off Amazon

Oh, sorry, man. Trade paperbacks are collected editions of single issues. I think that's what you're buying, judging by your description.

Tradepaperbacks, aka TP or TPs, are paperbacks. The art is usually the size of a comic book.

HC or PHC, is Hardcover or Premiere Hardcover, is just like the paperbacks with art about the same size as a comic, but in hardback.

Digest is also a paperback, but the art has been reduced to about 2/3s or 1/2. I hate digest books, but fortunately, most of them are kids books.

OHC is Oversized Hard Cover, where the art is actually bigger than comic sized.

Omnibus is a like OHC, with bigger art, but collects a bunch more issues. They are huge.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Oh, sorry, man. Trade paperbacks are collected editions of single issues. I think that's what you're buying, judging by your description.
    Tradepaperbacks, aka TP or TPs, are paperbacks. The art is usually the size of a comic book.

HC or PHC, is Hardcover or Premiere Hardcover, is just like the paperbacks with art about the same size as a comic, but in hardback.

Digest is also a paperback, but the art has been reduced to about 2/3s or 1/2. I hate digest books, but fortunately, most of them are kids books.

OHC is Oversized Hard Cover, where the art is actually bigger than comic sized.

Omnibus is a like OHC, with bigger art, but collects a bunch more issues. They are huge.
    Thanks for the info! Yes what I have bought are definitely TPs. A couple Omnibus's but mainly TPs All the ones I bought so far are off Amazon, couldn't find a cheaper place to buy them tbh

instocktrades.com has pretty competitive price with free shipping over 50 bucks.

And I third Ms. Marvel recommendation.
    Hawkeye - Secret Avengers - Ms. Marvel - Inhuman - Ant-Man

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I guess right now I would prefer some of the modern stuff, which 'essential' runs would you recommend?

Ahh, I've actually heard good things about it. Guess I'll have to take a look, thanks

Then modern stuff it is!
    For the big characters (if you want recommendations for smaller characters just name a few you like) I'd recommend:
    Spider-Man: Straczynski's run or Superior Spider-Man (Superior Spider-Man actually doesn't follow Peter Parker. The premise is that parker's body was stolen by Dr Octopus who is now trying to be a superior Spider-Man)
    Thor: Thor Disassembled followed by Straczynski's and Gillen's run. Aaron's first story (God butcher) is also very good.
    Daredevil: Almost anytging from 98 forward almost all runs (Smith, Bendis, Brubaker and Waid) have been amazing. Bendis' is probably the most acclaimed.
    Hulk: Pak's run (planet Hulk)
    Iron Man: Extremis and Knauf's run
    Captain America: Brubaker's run
    X-Men: Astonishing X-men by Whedon
    Fantastic Four: Hickman's or Waid's run
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47