Super Moderator

Default Snyder Cranks Up the Fear Factor in "Batman" #37

Scott Snyder discusses Bruce Wayne's psyche in "Endgame" as he counter-attacks a fearless maniac, and tells CBR about the final pages of "Batman" #37.

Full article here.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Scott Snyder is a flippin genius. Much respect
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

I am totally thrown off by the ending of #36 where Batman was a point-blank gun target, then a "BLAM!" and then this issue picks up with him back with Alfred. What was the "BLAM!"? How did Alfred find him? How did he get out of costume? What was the purpose of the fly in #36? Too many loose ends for me and it took me right out of the narrative. And the whole point of being able to craft an antidote if he could only find Patient One just made no sense to me. There would be no antibodies since Patient One was actually infected. If he was looking for a pure strain of the virus to build an antidote that's an awfully remote possibility even for the Bat-God. And he states that time is of the essence not once but twice as if the reader needed to be beaten over the head with the urgency of his mission. I'm trying to be on board for this epic, but these seeming plot holes are taking me out of the story and I'm having difficulty suspending disbelief. Help me out here Batfans!

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    I am totally thrown off by the ending of #36 where Batman was a point-blank gun target, then a "BLAM!" and then this issue picks up with him back with Alfred. What was the "BLAM!"? How did Alfred find him? How did he get out of costume? What was the purpose of the fly in #36? Too many loose ends for me and it took me right out of the narrative. And the whole point of being able to craft an antidote if he could only find Patient One just made no sense to me. There would be no antibodies since Patient One was actually infected. If he was looking for a pure strain of the virus to build an antidote that's an awfully remote possibility even for the Bat-God. And he states that time is of the essence not once but twice as if the reader needed to be beaten over the head with the urgency of his mission. I'm trying to be on board for this epic, but these seeming plot holes are taking me out of the story and I'm having difficulty suspending disbelief. Help me out here Batfans!
    Blam was probably the gun firing on him, knocking him out. Alfred always knows where Bruce because his suit has tracking equipment in it, id be awfully inconvenient if he wasn't able to know where Bruce was at all times just for the purposes of determining how much time it would take him to get from one location to another for example.

How did he get out of costume? Alfred and Julia got him out of it. As for the purpose of the fly it was a recurring thing in Death of the Family. In that Jokers face progressively gets more and more rotten with flies circling around him, after he falls into the waters of the batcave, the very last page of the DOTF has a fly circling the batcomputer with the words HA HA HA appearing on the screen as it zooms in on the chemical components Bruce is studying. As for the thematic reason for the why, I imagine its because fly's carry all sorts of diseases which can infect humans, which fits in with the whole Joker virus spreading across the city.

As for the virus, I'm not medical expert but I believe what he's doing is trying to find the original, purest form of the virus from Patient Zero in order to create a viable cure. Alfred and Julia tested all his other ones against it and his antidotes failed miserably, his only choice now is to try and find the "perfect" sample of the disease in hopes of getting a cure. Might be a remote possibility but its pretty much the only shot he has atm.

Snyder and Capullo have been on fire since #30, this is turning into a classic run. Joker as a supernatural force of evil , creepy very creepy.

Utter tripe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Snyder and Capullo have been on fire since #30, this is turning into a classic run. Joker as a supernatural force of evil , creepy very creepy.
    I am not a fan of comic book horror, and while Snyder and Capullo certainly like to play with that genre more than I would prefer, this story has been very well done I am enjoying it immensely. I sometimes wonder about what writers are thinking when they are coming up with these stories, how much they are checking themselves, and it is nice to see Snyder is very conscious of what helps and hurts a story (even if I think he sometimes crosses the line still.)

BANNED

this was definitely the weakest issue of Endgame so far. goddamn i'm conflicted with Snyder's Batman. one issue it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and the very next it bores me to tears.

i've been thinking about dropping this book so many times since #1. but i'm still reading it and we're at #37 already. might as well keep reading since i believe it will conclude at #50.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Yet another spectacular issue. I could read Snyder's Batman forever. ��
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!