View Poll Results: Do You Like Wonder Woman With The S&M Themes?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 55.56%
  • No

13 48.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm also worried about writers using the BDSM themes being used to pay tribute to Marston at the exclusion of other -and imo, better- writers who have contributed to Diana's character. I was reading io9 article on Noah Berlatsky's book on WW's history and one commenter made mention how this seemed to be the only thing people were interested in when it came to Diana. I don't think the Lynda Carter show get's even that much attention these days.

I personally would love to see a Wonder Woman comic with a lot of bondage, but I don't think DC's premier super-heroine needs to be hyper-sexualized, so I'll say no. I will of course read anything Morrison lays his hands on, though.
    Ooh, Morrison, please tie me up in your overly intricate and confusing plots.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I think the BDSM stuff has its place in Diana's mythos.

I didn't like a lot of Azz's run, but I did appreciate his line at the end of the run about submission being "faith in the strength of others." That's as good a definition of "Loving Submission" as I've ever heard. A lot of people think that BDSM is just about sick people who like hurting people, or being hurt themselves. It can be about that, but a real BDSM relationship, as I understand it, is really more of a trust exercise. You have to trust that your partner won't go too far. You have to have "faith" that your partner is strong enough not to abuse the authority you give him/her over you.

Now, I don't think Azz executed the concept particularly well, but the idea that the Amazons have this culture that is strongly based on the application of both domination and submission gives them a unique feel and makes them stand out.

Sure, this means that some people obsess over Diana's bondage past to an unhealthy degree. But you know what? I, personally, picked up my very first Wonder Woman issue exclusively because it featured an image of Wonder Woman, on her knees and bound at Circe's feet. Yeah, I was originally drawn to the image of this sexy lady in bondage, but as I read the book, I became intrigued by what an amazing lady she was. I quickly learned that there was more to her than just being hot and getting tied up a lot. The BDSM themes can be a hook that draw people into the books, and then Diana can work on making real fans through good writing and characterization.

"They come for the sexy bondage images. They stay for the message of strength, compassion, and redemption," you might say.

So, should the BDSM themes be used? Sure. They can bring people into the book. THEN the trick is to use the BDSM themes (and all the other themes in Wonder Woman's story) to tell a good story that really conveys Diana's true message. It worked for me. It would work for a lot of other people, as well.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm also worried about writers using the BDSM themes being used to pay tribute to Marston at the exclusion of other -and imo, better- writers who have contributed to Diana's character. I was reading io9 article on Noah Berlatsky's book on WW's history and one commenter made mention how this seemed to be the only thing people were interested in when it came to Diana. I don't think the Lynda Carter show get's even that much attention these days.
    yeah many times BDSM eclipses WW true message. it get lost in the fascination for bondage.
    I got a lot disturbed when I was surfing on devian art and saw tons of art with female characters bound and gagged.
    If I had to choose between feminism and BDSM, I would go with feminism

BANNED

I'd argue that is because Marston was the only time during WW's long history that the book was taking risks, and it was major risks, so big that just about everything thats followed is considered boring and safe.

technically Marston's went to ways with the bondage until he was sent a letter forcing him to stop. Normally if a person was focus into a submission and not a agree to it that was bad but if they agree and found a good person to love them it's fine

However much of his stories after that letter focusing less on BDSM and more on loving. I know the Newpaper comics were not overly BDSM very little. I don't know how Morrison will handle this.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-08-2015 at 12:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    technically Marston's went to ways with the bondage until he was sent a letter forcing him to stop. Normally if a person was focus into a submission and not a agree to it that was bad but if they agree and found a good person to love them it's fine.
    Admittedly Marston wasn't doing anything like 50 Shades, his dabbling into BDSM was a mix of:
    -Diana getting captured. (Not so bad considering such things often happens to heroes in comics, Marston may just have put a little more empathis on restraining her and that Diana's capture happened every other issue)
    -The Amazons philosophy (and his own) about 'loving submission' being an ideal way to live.
    -The odd rituals and games the Amazons practiced.

Now, the first option isn't really viable any more as Diana has lost the archiles heel Marston used to explain why badguys was obsessed with chaining Diana up.
    The second and third option however are still very viable since the Amazons are an isolated island community where all kinds of strange rituals, terms and practices could arise for various reasons. So if these themes were to return, I'd imagine it would be in the Amazon culture rather than Diana somehow signaling something about herself.

Invincible Member

I finished reading Sunstone. Now I totally want Stjepan to a comic about Diana's kinky love life.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    yeah many times BDSM eclipses WW true message. it get lost in the fascination for bondage.
    I got a lot disturbed when I was surfing on devian art and saw tons of art with female characters bound and gagged.
    [B]If I had to choose between feminism and BDSM, I would go with feminism{/B]
    It wouldn't be easy or in everyone's wheelhouse, but the right writer could do both I think

BANNED

With the exception of the Lasso, most of the S&M references in the Wonder Woman comic have been discarded. Grant Morrison's upcoming elseworld comic plans on bringing them back, while for such elements are source of ridicule for Diana. Do you prefer Diana with or without the S&M themes?
    It will be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think the internet minority would absolutely explode, considering how much the simple sight of cleavage or any semblance of figure seems to be unseemly, blinding, offensive, and labeled as fanservice, but yes it should be done.
    And objectifying, among other gems.