Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Default Perfectly Post-Crisis: A DCU Appreciation thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a thread to devote to our love of the former DCU. Any character, any team, any story.

Just try to keep it positive. DO NOT bash the reboot. Its just going to get us all banned.
    Last edited by FlashingSabre; 12-17-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Cyclops was right

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Just try to keep it positive. DO NOT bash the reboot. Its just going to get us all banned.
    Wiser words have not been spoken here before at CBR. Appreciating? YES! Dissing? NO!

Favorite DCU title? Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Pretty much anything Titans I love except for John's stuff. I never really liked the dynamic of his team though there was some good stuff in there.

The thing I miss most was Robinson's JLA with Dick and Donna leading them. It felt like the universe was moving forward and growing in a natural way.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    [B] (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread).
    I think it's the other way around, actually.

In any case, speaking of Hal Jordan, it was the 1990 Gerard Jones authored series that made me a fan, grey hair and all. And that first story, The Road Back, is still one of my favorite GL tales ever. I'd love to go back and dig through Action Comics Weekly to see what Hal had been up to immediately post-Crisis, because I think he was in GLC for a couple of years and didn't get a lot of solo attention until ACW. Post-Crisis wasn't all that good to him as a character, apart from the first few years with Gerard Jones, and then Geoff Johns, who made GL a legitimate franchise.

On the other hand, Wally West thrived. Hats off to whoever decided to actually allow the sidekick to take on the mentor's role and become an A-lister. Has anyone before or since managed to hold that role for so long?

I love late 80s, early 90s DC. It's still one of my favorite eras. Triangle Superman is another fond memory. It was essentially a weekly book, since we got four staggered monthly books for a number of years.

JSA, older generation helping to usher in and train a new generation.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I think it's the other way around, actually.
    It is, but I was trying to be diplomatic there.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Help me out here people i'm reading the post infinite crisis, Legion ( no reboot or threeboot I can't handle those stuff now)
    I've read Lightning Saga and Superman and the Legion in action comics what comes next?

Adventure comics vol 2 7-(renumbered526)? or the Legion title (Choices, consequences and When evil calls)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Help me out here people i'm reading the post infinite crisis, Legion ( no reboot or threeboot I can't handle those stuff now)
    I've read Lightning Saga and Superman and the Legion in action comics what comes next?

Adventure comics vol 2 7-(renumbered526)? or the Legion title (Choices, consequences and When evil calls)
    IIRC, they both started at about the same time.
    I'd start with Legion, though, as for the first few issues of Adventure they were just back-up stories. It didn't become a full-fledged Legion title til #12 (just before the renumbering). This would be the same month as Legion #2.

Note, as Legion and Adventure were both written by Levitz at the time, it was really more like one bi-weeklly series.

BTW... Once you're ready, the DnA Legion was pretty self-contained. And can be seen as a prototype of their Guardians of the Galaxy run. More sci-fi than superhero.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-17-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

DC needs to collect The Ray. I really enjoyed that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post

Yep. Plus Legion of 3 Worlds, then the reboot series.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    IIRC, they both started at about the same time.
    I'd start with Legion, though, as for the first few issues of Adventure they were just back-up stories. It didn't become a full-fledged Legion title til #12 (just before the renumbering). This would be the same month as Legion #2.

Note, as Legion and Adventure were both written by Levitz at the time, it was really more like one bi-weeklly series.

BTW... Once you're ready, the DnA Legion was pretty self-contained. And can be seen as a prototype of their Guardians of the Galaxy run. More sci-fi than superhero.
    I love that run. I've almost completed it in floppies. Im just missing the Secret Files from right before Legion of the Damned.
    Cyclops was right

This thread has my approval.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Post-Crisis DCU. The world that NEEDS to come back.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It is, but I was trying to be diplomatic there.
    Here's my best attempt: it was a decent, but somewhat undersized place to hang out during the decades between COIE and FLASHPOINT.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I still think 1987 was the best year post-Crisis.

I was perusing Mike's Amazing Comics yesterday, looking at covers...
    There's a marked significant difference post-1992.

The covers began to get over-inked and appeared darker and sometimes muddier. Often with too much going on and cluttered.

Reminded me of Marvel's covers post-Secret Wars II. I live Sienkiewicz but it seems everyone was trying to be like him there for a bit.

I think the '80s comics had the best covers.
    A bit more sophisticated and detailed than the 60s and 70s but not as busy and confusing as the ones from the '90s.

Of course, in the 2000s we started getting the "pose covers", made popular with Marvel's Ultimate line, where every cover looked like a first issue and had no tie to what was inside.
    I'm glad that little phase has started to go away.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.