Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    DD didn't have a TV show, but the actual comic that was coming out in the mid-60's was extremely campy.
    Yeah, but Silver Age Daredevil never hit the same level of pop culture relevance that the 66 Batman series. So I don't think 66 Daredevil would do very well, because not nearly as many people care about Silver Age DD comics compared to the 66 Batman show, so 66 DD would not have same built in fan base and would have trouble sustaining itself. If you wanted something with the same pop culture relevance as the 66 Batman show, then making a comic based on the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon would make more sense.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-18-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Yeah, but Silver Age Daredevil never hit the same level of pop culture relevance that the 66 Batman series. So I don't think 66 Daredevil would do very well, because not nearly as many people care about Silver Age DD comics compared to the 66 Batman show, so 66 DD would not have same built in fan base and would have trouble sustaining itself. If you wanted something with the same pop culture relevance as the 66 Batman show, then making a comic based on the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon would make more sense.
    But to be fair, wasn't the Spider-Man cartoon pretty bland? The Adam West show was definitely a unique presence and a cultural zeitgeist, whereas I think the appeal of the Spider-Man cartoon was that it was a cartoon starring Spider-Man...beyond that, nothing really stands out about it.

Plus, when you really look at it, has Spidey changed all THAT much since the 1960s? Yes he's older and some of his villains have been modernized to a degree, but he's still Peter Parker with his guilt complex and Aunt May and Mary Jane, telling jokes while fighting crime. For all your Venoms and Carnages, there really hasn't been THAT much change. I can't even think of a significant Spider-foe who died, since Norman Osborn and Kraven came back (and you know Doc Ock is on the way). Early Daredevil vs. "Frank Miller-moving-forward" Daredevil is so radically different in tone, pacing, and cast that a Batman '66-book would really stand apart from what most people consider the "essential Daredevil." I don't know if the same can be said about Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    But to be fair, wasn't the Spider-Man cartoon pretty bland? The Adam West show was definitely a unique presence and a cultural zeitgeist, whereas I think the appeal of the Spider-Man cartoon was that it was a cartoon starring Spider-Man...beyond that, nothing really stands out about it.

Plus, when you really look at it, has Spidey changed all THAT much since the 1960s? Yes he's older and some of his villains have been modernized to a degree, but he's still Peter Parker with his guilt complex and Aunt May and Mary Jane, telling jokes while fighting crime. For all your Venoms and Carnages, there really hasn't been THAT much change. I can't even think of a significant Spider-foe who died, since Norman Osborn and Kraven came back (and you know Doc Ock is on the way). Early Daredevil vs. "Frank Miller-moving-forward" Daredevil is so radically different in tone, pacing, and cast that a Batman '66-book would really stand apart from what most people consider the "essential Daredevil." I don't know if the same can be said about Spider-Man.
    Memes based on hilarious screen captures of the 60's Spidey show have gained a notable internet following in the past few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX8MOSAkLsI

Astonishing Member

Except the theme song from that show has become so iconic that its become Spider-Man's theme song and really kids today seem to make a lot of memes about it.I think it had a bigger cultural impact then Daredevil comics in the 60s and I think because of that it is more comparable to 66 Batman.

I also don't think its bland in general, the first season is hilariously cheesy, while the second season is just plain weird (I think the writers were on drugs). There are boring episodes because after a certain point they had no budget, but generally between the cheesy first season and the insane second season I don't think the show was dull, it was dull by the third season, when they had no budget and really just started reusing old episodes.

But is Silver Age Daredevil part of any cultural zeitgeist like Adam West Batman?

Also the 1967 cartoon kinda of did its own thing all the time, just like the Adam West Batman show did, by introducing new villains for example.

In the 67 show, Norman Osborn doesn't exist, Green Goblin is just some guy in a goblin costume obsessed with magic. Kraven the Hunter and Chameleon didn't exist either, they had knock off characters fill those roles. Also Spider-Man's webbing seemed to be able to do anything on that show, he once made a fully functioning boat with webbing in one episode. That's not counting the insane second season, where Spider-Man would fight monsters in remote corners of the globe.

I think part of the appeal of the 66 Batman series is it connects with a show that was a popular presentation of Batman in other media that sticks in people's mind to this day. Silver Age Daredevil doesn't do you. I'm sure will argue the 1967 cartoon isn't as popular as the 66 Batman series is, but I think it has more pop culture representation then Silver Age Daredevil does.

Invincible Member

Except the theme song from that show has become so iconic that its become Spider-Man's theme song and really kids today seem to make a lot of memes about it.I think it had a bigger cultural impact then Daredevil comics in the 60s and I think because of that it is more comparable to 66 Batman.

I also don't think its bland in general, the first season is hilariously cheesy, while the second season is just plain weird (I think the writers were on drugs). There are boring episodes because after a certain point they had no budget, but generally between the cheesy first season and the insane second season I don't think the show was dull, it was dull by the third season, when they had no budget and really just started reusing old episodes.

But is Silver Age Daredevil part of any cultural zeitgeist like Adam West Batman?

Also the 1967 cartoon kinda of did its own thing all the time, just like the Adam West Batman show did, by introducing new villains for example.

In the 67 show, Norman Osborn doesn't exist, Green Goblin is just some guy in a goblin costume obsessed with magic. Kraven the Hunter and Chameleon didn't exist either, they had knock off characters fill those roles. Also Spider-Man's webbing seemed to be able to do anything on that show, he once made a fully functioning boat with webbing in one episode. That's not counting the insane second season, where Spider-Man would fight monsters in remote corners of the globe.

I think part of the appeal of the 66 Batman series is it connects with a show that was a popular presentation of Batman in other media that sticks in people's mind to this day. Silver Age Daredevil doesn't do you. I'm sure will argue the 1967 cartoon isn't as popular as the 66 Batman series is, but I think it has more pop culture representation then Silver Age Daredevil does.

But I think that Kaijudo's point is not so much that 60's DD had a large pop culture presence, but that the title had a completely different tone and direction. If Marvel published DD '67 even a casual reader could spot the contrast between that and the contemporary title. It's a difference that wouldn't be there if they did say FF '66 unless they purposely got and artist to draw like Jack Kirby. The FF is basically the same type of comic that it was back then.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But I think that Kaijudo's point is not so much that 60's DD had a large pop culture presence, but that the title had a completely different tone and direction. If Marvel published DD '67 even a casual reader could spot the contrast between that and the contemporary title. It's a difference that wouldn't be there if they did say FF '66 unless they purposely got and artist to draw like Jack Kirby. The FF is basically the same type of comic that it was back then.
    But the thing is the 66 Batman has a bigger built in fan base then Silver Age Daredevil, because it is based on a popular TV show, I don't think a 66 Daredevil series would have the same built in fan base and would be anywhere as popular. I think on a pop culture level 67 Spider-Man is the closest thing to 66 Batman and like I said the cartoon is certainly goofier in its first season then the comics were back in the Silver Age. A 66 Daredevil series would lack the pop culture recognition that Batman 66 has.

Not to mention Waid's run has more of a Silver Age style Daredevil, so how would a 66 Daredevil be different then that?

Invincible Member

But the thing is the 66 Batman has a bigger built in fan base then Silver Age Daredevil, because it is based on a popular TV show, I don't think a 66 Daredevil series would have the same built in fan base and would be anywhere as popular. I think on a pop culture level 67 Spider-Man is the closest thing to 66 Batman and like I said the cartoon is certainly goofier in its first season then the comics were back in the Silver Age. A 66 Daredevil series would lack the pop culture recognition that Batman 66 has.

Not to mention Waid's run has more of a Silver Age style Daredevil, so how would a 66 Daredevil be different then that?
    Waid's run is definitely more lighthearted, but he hasn't gone to the extremes that Stan used to...writing footnotes that explain how to pronounce the sound effects and what not.

But, yeah...if you're just talking about the commercial potential of such a series, you probably have a point. I'm not sure of the sales figures of current DD, but might not be doing well enuff to justify a spin off. But, just talking about what could be a fun sister series in theory, I think it could work

I think perhaps some of you took it too literal, thinking I meant a title based on the 1966 Daredevil.

What I meant was a comic featuring Daredevil, in the style of the '66 Batman. Set in the present day.
    A bit campy, doesn't take itself serious, full of gimmicky villains.

And then, what villains do you think would fit?

I think the closest Marvel has come to that style would be the Claremont/Davis Excalibur.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Invincible Member

But 60's DD villains would fit perfectly...Leap Frog! Masked Marauder! Stilt Man! Jester! Owl! Gladiator! These are all gimmicky foes.

Bring in Paste Pot Pete, the Melter, Hyrdo Man and Sand Man...I'm sure there's tons of old Marvel Team Up villains that could be brought back...

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

If only Angela Bowie's Daredevil and the Black Widow TV show from the 70s had been produced! I would have loved to see that.

I could see something like this being made, but only after Waid was off of Daredevil. I think it makes more sense to have a light-hearted companion book when the main book is dark, or vice versa. (Just like how Bendis's End of Days came out during Waid's run.)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I personally don't feel it'd work for Daredevil nowadays, maybe back in the 60s or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    How about...

'60s Spider-Man

LMAO! I love that gif.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    I'd buy it, but I definitely agree that Spider-Man is a better choice.
    Out of the two I agree. Though I think it'd be better for Deadpool.

I agree with everyone that said it would be better suited for Spidey. The team up issue with the 60's cartoon spidey is my favorite part of Spider-Verse so far. Get Christos Gage to write it.
    We need better comics