Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

i prefer the old politically incorrect costume, thank you!
    and the goggles made me think of Anya.. and her last re-design too..
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Jess' previous (or current for a few more months) costume resembled nothing more than a naked woman wearing bodypaint, primarily featuring - as has been said already in this thread - big yellow arrows helpfully pointing at her boobs and crotch. It was, frankly, the kind of outfit that was just asking for Greg Land to draw* it, and lo and behold.

This new one gives it a few more features to indicate the presence of actual materials, and will likely stand out better in silhouette even without the web-wings. It's not perfect: the new design on the chest is perhaps a touch too busy, and I don't know what's going on with the 'is it a jacket or isn't it' black sleeves. But it's a design that communicates character to the reader - just by looking, without previous knowledge, we can surmise that Jessica Drew has an eye for style yet isn't prone to extravagance, her skillset is leaning towards espionage and/or theft, and she's powered by spiders. That's three valid points compared to the one ("I am sexy") presented by the earlier suit. It's a win.

* - Well. 'Draw'.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    It didn't even looked like a spider character costume, now at least there is a spider logo on it. When I started reading comics I was like " who is this? this costume is ridiculous" lol I understand the appeal of classics, but now is much better
    Again I agree. There have been times were I "lol" at the sight of her performing certain feats/task/Ect. Like the time she was riding that dinosaur in her title. Ok sure riding a dinosaur within of itself is comic bookie and outlandish but adding that suit in the mix just made it all the more weirder.

She is suppose to be a spy type character and this actually fits that motif while still having enough superhero flare to it. Hope it sticks!

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Jess' previous (or current for a few more months) costume resembled nothing more than a naked woman wearing bodypaint, primarily featuring - as has been said already in this thread - big yellow arrows helpfully pointing at her boobs and crotch. It was, frankly, the kind of outfit that was just asking for Greg Land to draw* it, and lo and behold.

This new one gives it a few more features to indicate the presence of actual materials, and will likely stand out better in silhouette even without the web-wings. It's not perfect: the new design on the chest is perhaps a touch too busy, and I don't know what's going on with the 'is it a jacket or isn't it' black sleeves. But it's a design that communicates character to the reader - just by looking, without previous knowledge, we can surmise that Jessica Drew has an eye for style yet isn't prone to extravagance, her skillset is leaning towards espionage and/or theft, and she's powered by spiders. That's three valid points compared to the one ("I am sexy") presented by the earlier suit. It's a win.

* - Well. 'Draw'.
    I'm just not a fan of the trend of getting rid of easily identifiable superhero costumes and replacing them with street clothes. I mean I love Spider-Man's costume and it's not practical at all. And that's always been a fun part of comics: seeing these characters in fantastical situations wearing fantastical costumes. Now comics are heading toward superheroes wearing stuff you'd just wear IRL.

BANNED

For some reason it reminds me a bit of JMS era pre-Flashpoint Wonder Woman. Don't know why.

I also think it's for the best that we ease out of one costume and into another, sensible strategy.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Bit annoyed because there was honestly nothing wrong with her old and very iconic costume, hell it covered everything after all. But the writer makes a fair point that since Jess is a detective she should have something less spandex'y. I keep telling myself that I remember hating Carol's current costume when it first came out (though that was mostly because it looked like they gave her a buzz cut in the initial pics and thankfully her long hair remains intact) and I ended up liking that look, so I might be the same with Jess.

But I do think this sudden influx of changes to the superheroine costumes is getting a bit daft, especially on the ones who were fine as they were. The main issue I have with this costume is that she looks like Mockingbird with some red patches and a spider logo.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    I'm just not a fan of the trend of getting rid of easily identifiable superhero costumes and replacing them with street clothes. I mean I love Spider-Man's costume and it's not practical at all. And that's always been a fun part of comics: seeing these characters in fantastical situations wearing fantastical costumes. Now comics are heading toward superheroes wearing stuff you'd just wear IRL.
    I do get your point - there is only one Luke Cage in my mind, and he wears a tiara and a yellow puffy silk shirt, dagnabbit! - but I think we have a ways to go yet before we're dealing with superheroes who are just "wearing stuff you'd wear IRL". And I don't think this new Spider-Woman costume is the straw to break the camel's back, because lack of mask or no, it still resembles a costume to me. It's still got wings, and a big logo etched on the torso, and some interesting colours.

Now, if someone at Marvel editorial decides it's a good idea to have Scarlet Witch start dressing like she does in the Age of Ultron trailers? THAT I will call foul on, because that really is just clothes.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I don't know if Batgirl should be credited with having a leather jacket first. I modeled my main original character (who also wore a small leather jacket) after Rogue and I'd say my character's design looks similar to these new costume designs. Besides, the Spider-Woman and Batgirl jackets look completely different in my opinion. People are seeing more similarities than there actually are.
    I agree. There are actually quite a few fan made characters that seem to have spurred this trend. One of my favorites being this one:

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    I do get your point - there is only one Luke Cage in my mind, and he wears a tiara and a yellow puffy silk shirt, dagnabbit! - but I think we have a ways to go yet before we're dealing with superheroes who are just "wearing stuff you'd wear IRL". And I don't think this new Spider-Woman costume is the straw to break the camel's back, because lack of mask or no, it still resembles a costume to me. It's still got wings, and a big logo etched on the torso, and some interesting colours.

Now, if someone at Marvel editorial decides it's a good idea to have Scarlet Witch start dressing like she does in the Age of Ultron trailers? THAT I will call foul on, because that really is just clothes.
    Oh heck yes, if they mess about with Wanda's look I'll really be ticked. Her current look with the red coat and minus the pink tights on display is fine.

Right now, I'm really mixed about Jess, because I love her classic look, but I don't outright hate this new design.

Astonishing Member

While I've proclaimed for some time that Jessica needed a new look, this one does not fill me with hope.

I kind of wish they had someone else besides Anka draw it. He IS a talented artist, but as the go to designer for Marvel's female stable, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I'd have much preferred someone like Samnee, Pichelli or Schiti take a whack at it. I think any of those would have done a better job updating without losing the more superheroic aspects. I mean if the costume looked tactical spy, that could have been cool too, but right now it just looks like a street-levelers first time costume.

I think that's what makes this more disappointing is that there ARE a bunch of talented artists outside of Anka when it comes to character designs. This costume feels waaaaay too safe, and doesn't really scream Jessica to me.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 12-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

After looking at it for a minute or two I have to say it's not that bad. I like the classic look a lot but as re-designs go this isn't bad. So I'm okay with it personally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Looks a lot less like a superhero and more like an Agent of SHIELD.
    It does doesn't it? Maybe that's what they were going for.

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    well her last costume look like it was made from edible strawberr rollups for strippers. This looks practical but the sash? really?
    I think the sash is okay. Clearly influenced by other super heroine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    This just in: people hate change.
    So far no one has quite understood my position on this. I love the design, I think it's way better than her previous costume, etc. What I don't like necessarily is the trend and the idea that a superhero needs to walk around wearing outfits that are less fantastical and more practical. So I adore the change, but disapprove of the idea behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    lol not a x-men reader,I think this is from all new x-men...jean is dead but too much alive for a dead character...?
    Basically time travel from the early days of the X-Men and thanks to lots of people messing with time she and the rest of the O5 are stuck and developing quite differently from before.

It's more than just a costume change I'd say...as she does look a bit less "juggy". It looks like they toned those puppies down...especially after the Milo Manara incident.

I agree that this is absolutely inspired by the positive reaction to Batgirl's new look. I honestly like this new look...but it does seem ill-planned to just start her solo book and then take a whole new artistic redirect.
    Reading Miracleman, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Eternal, Earth2, Gotham Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    While I've proclaimed for some time that Jessica needed a new look, this one does not fill me with hope.

I kind of wish they had someone else besides Anka draw it. He IS a talented artist, but as the go to designer for Marvel's female stable, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I'd have much preferred someone like Samnee, Pichelli or Schiti take a whack at it. I think any of those would have done a better job updating without losing the more superheroic aspects. I mean if the costume looked tactical spy, that could have been cool too, but right now it just looks like a street-levelers first time costume.

I think that's what makes this more disappointing is that there ARE a bunch of talented artists outside of Anka when it comes to character designs. This costume feels waaaaay too safe, and doesn't really scream Jessica to me.
    Pichelli would have been AMAZING.