Page 40 of 163 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Bourdain and Zimmern are two people who really expanded my world. They were also right at the top of my list of people I truly envied, having careers doing stuff they so clearly loved. And now, my world seems to have gotten a little smaller with Tony's passing, and I am poorer for it.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

That episode of No Reservations where he went to Cleveland and hung out with Harvey Pekar and Toby Radloff... I knew we would get along just fine.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Bourdain educated you, helped you get a taste (pun intended) of foreign cultures, and inspired you to want to try conventional and weird foreign food. His love of food and culture was infectious. And he was funny and thoughtful and just full of charisma.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Horrible horrible horrible! I am a huge Bourdain fan. FFS why?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

boudain and zimmern showed us that food is the language we all speak and it can unite us in ways he didn't think possible.

anthony was a man of the world who showed us how different we are but at the same time how much we had in common.

It feels like the NY 80s drug scene got Bourdain back then, he long tried his best to escape it and beat it, kinda did, but it finally claimed him with its after effects of depression or struggle in 2018.

(all idle speculation on my part given the simple reporting of his previous drug struggles and nothing yet much illuminating this suicide beyond that)

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

What a stand up guy. He was a listener more than he was a cook and a traveler. His episodes are so full of delving into things no other food shows would discuss, like race, politics, cultures, as in depth as he did.

Even outside of the show, he stood up for underpaid Latino kitchen workers (even advocating amnesty for Mexican immigrant cooks, since they do more labor than their celebrity chef bosses), called out the rampant sexual harassment in the culinary industry before the #metoo movement was a thing, explored the deep changes of war in Asian and African countries, and he really, really elevated American chefs of color. Those old memories that his guests would have about their hometowns, Bourdain would listen. Those poor kids on the street watching him film? He would buy them treats from the nearest stand. And god help you if you ever try to pull some bullshit on him or anyone else in his area -- he will call you out. Not many shows would do that, never mind food shows, and yet here was Bourdain making sure that his shows aligned well with a real human, global heart.

There are few celebrity deaths that hit as hard as this one. I just want to order delivery and bingewatch his stuff all weekend.
    Last edited by Cyke; 06-08-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I just want to order delivery and bingewatch his stuff all weekend.
    I do hope channels marathon his shows, so we can celebrate them.

I have managed to eat at 2 places Bourdain had featured on his shows (living close to a semi-regular stop of his helps - Las Vegas in my case).

Bootleggers is close to my parents house, and is an excellent Italian place.

But the crown jewel is Lotus of Siam, whose duck is worthy of an anime style foodgasm. The place is considered by many food reviewers and professional chefs to be the best Thai restaurant in all of North America and while I don't have the experience to confirm that I can at least say I fully understand why they would be think it.

And for those of you who are fans of Archer...

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 06-09-2018 at 12:02 AM.

AND he wrote comics!! A tragic loss for food, travel and comic lovers.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Actor Jackson O'Dell (The Goldbergs) has died at the age of 20.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Dexter's lab and powerpuff girls animator passed away.

https://toonado.com/cartoons/dexters...ead-at-70-a137

Fantastic Member

Matt "Guitar" Murphy is now playing in heaven with b.b. king,John lee hooker and co.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_M...ues_guitarist)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Man that one hurts. The Blues Brothers has always been one if my all time favorite movies, and he was a big part of that.

Wrestling legend Big Van Vader has passed away