Page 17 of 162 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Makes me wish I had attended the JOHN WAYNE BIRTHDAY bash in Winterset, Iowa back in 2013 in which O'Hara was the feature guest of the Museum.

Rest In Peace!!!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The Last of the Cartwrights is Gone.

Today at the age of 77 , David Canary passed away. Canary became more famous for his Daytime Emmy success and racking up 14 Daytime Emmy nominations for his role on All My Children for 25+ years. But its the role in Bonanza that brought him to the dance. Canary would play Candy Canaday , a man who would become the Cartwright's best ranch hand and family friend.

After Pernell Roberts finally departed Bonanza after a few years of disagreements behind the scenes with Lorne Greene and producers , the show was needing to add a 4th character. The year before they cast Guy Williams as the long lost son of Ben Cartwright and named him "Will Cartwright". The idea was Williams would replace Roberts as he discussed leaving the series. But at the final hour Roberts changed his mind and decided to return for another season . The character of Will Cartwright was written out and he moved back East and never was seen or mentioned again on the series.

But in 1965 Pernell Roberts (below) wanted to leave and wasn't changing his mind. Adam Cartwright in that season left for back East to become a lawyer and rarely was ever mentioned again.

So now the show was in a spot. They needed to cast a new 4th type male character and they couldn't say Ben Cartwright had yet another long lost son. So the producers and writers came up with the character..."Candy". A lovable close ranch hand that became a big brother type to Little Joe and Hoss. Even though Candy wasn't a Cartwright by birth , Ben seemingly treated him like one of his boys. He'd have dinner with them. He'd laugh and have adventures beside Hoss and Joe. So by all rights ...Ben seemingly adopted Candy in a sense.

One year Canary would have a salary dispute with producers and left the show. But that final season , as Bonanza lost one of its main stars in Dan Blocker (Hoss) he was back. Its the tribute to Blocker that Landon wrote that stands out. If there should be a final episode of a series...Bonanza's "Forever" should be one . In it Joe finally marries and settles down as he has built a cabin on some land. Everything is good til some evil men burn the cabin and his wife down as he goes over the edge.

Ben Cartwright can't bring his boy back and it falls to his adopted son Candy to go get Joe and bring him home. To bring him back from the edge that he's on . Hoss is gone , a fact Landon tells his wife ...how he loved and misses his brother. At the end its Candy who gets him and brings him home.

With his passing , the door has closed on the Cartwrights. All of them are gone. Dan Blocker died in 1972 , Lorne Greene in 1987 , Michael Landon 1990 , Pernell Roberts in 2010 and now....David Canary.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Retired

Even though I watched all those BONANZA episodes and probably more than once, what with re-runs, it wasn't until David Canary came on board ALL MY CHILDREN that I began to fully appreciate his acting talent. His work as Adam and Stuart Chandler was ace. Hard to believe a man with so much energy is gone. I feel for all his family and friends.

RIP David Bowie

Dammit! Were losing all the best people! How are we supposed to live in a world without David Bowie?!

Ultimate Member

It's really odd since didn't he just put out a new album and everything, not really a fan of his but sad that he's gone.

And the guy that played Schneider on One Day At A Time died as well. And Wayne Rogers (Trapper from MASH) too.

Bowie's death was such a shock. i had just been enjoying his new album and watching the new music videos. we've lost one of the greatest artists of this or any generation.

Incredible Member

You guys missed Wayne Rogers death last Thursday.

Angus Scrimm, best know as the Tall Man from Phantasm, has passed away.
    With Phantasm V finally happening it should be a great moment for his fans to remember.
    No word yet on when he'll return to destroy us all.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    You guys missed Wayne Rogers death last Thursday.
    trapper's having a drink with col. potter, frank, and henry right now

Retired

It gets to a point in life where you know more people who are dead than those who are still alive.

It makes one feel old and I'm too young in my head to feel old in my heart.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

it seems death isn't done breaking hearts.

alan rickman is gone.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-14/b...-dies-aged-69/

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    it seems death isn't done breaking hearts.

alan rickman is gone.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-01-14/b...-dies-aged-69/
    RIP Hans Gruber

Mighty Member

Natalie Cole passed away on Dec 31st.
    Brian Bedford, British film and stage actor, the voice of Disney's Robin Hood, passed away yesterday.

2016 sucks.