Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    Satire is the wrong word here. Watchmen is partly an homage and partly a deconstruction. It's not satire in the vein of Swift or Cervantes or even Zappa because it's not openly mocking humanity en masse. It's a very specific tribute to and critique of the superhero sub-genre of comics.

But, even if it were satire, I still think it belongs on the list because you can't argue that the historical impact of the series wasn't gigantic...and my list is based solely on my perception of historical impact. From the historical perception, it would be silly to include e.g. Gambit, Northstar, The Scarlet Witch and Kitty Pryde.

I could've extended the list a bit to add Spawn, Hellboy, John Constantine, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Phantom --- again based on impact on the medium.
    I only knew Watchmen after seeing Rorschach on a greatest superheroes list.

Invincible Member

Satire is the wrong word here. Watchmen is partly an homage and partly a deconstruction. It's not satire in the vein of Swift or Cervantes or even Zappa because it's not openly mocking humanity en masse. It's a very specific tribute to and critique of the superhero sub-genre of comics.

But, even if it were satire, I still think it belongs on the list because you can't argue that the historical impact of the series wasn't gigantic...and my list is based solely on my perception of historical impact. From the historical perception, it would be silly to include e.g. Gambit, Northstar, The Scarlet Witch and Kitty Pryde.

I could've extended the list a bit to add Spawn, Hellboy, John Constantine, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Phantom --- again based on impact on the medium.
    The historical impact of the Watchmen is undeniable, but I don't think we're supposed to admire all the characters the same way we admire say Batman. Rorshach for instance kills a child molester, but he also broke the fingers of someone who hadn't done anything wrong. He went after Moloch who also hadn't done anything. Part of the point of his character was that his grasp on reality was shakey at best. I'm not sure Moore meant for us hold him in the same regard as Superman and Spiderman

I could never list 50.
    I agree, that's always been the problem with lists like these; after the first five to ten spots, it's hard to really accurately order past that. A "top 10" is much more useful and much more accurate (usually).