Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Batman: Earth One Vol.2 in May 2015

so what do people think? Is anyone excited?
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=57803

BATMAN EARTH ONE VOL. 2 HC
    Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art by GARY FRANK and JON SIBAL
    Cover by GARY FRANK
    On sale MAY 6 • 160 pg, FC, $24.99 US
    It’s here – the sequel to the #1 New York Times bestseller and critically acclaimed BATMAN: EARTH ONE by the superstar creative team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank! While Gotham City is plunged into terror by an enigmatic anarchist and killer calling himself The Riddler, the Dark Knight must reconcile the increasingly conflicting ideologies of Detective Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne’s head of security, Alfred Pennyworth. But there are many more mysteries lurking within Gotham City, including the secret agenda of Harvey Dent and the bizarre creature prowling the sewers – Killer Croc!

I like Gary Frank's art.

That's about it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

With Teen Titans Earth One including a hint towards Robin I was hoping to see him here but that seems doubtful.

Will they be realeasing a new volume every year? Hopefully that introduces Robin

Didn't like the first Batman: Earth One so I'll be skipping this.

BANNED

Looking forward to it. I was surprised by how enjoyable I found the first Batman Earth One, even re-read it like immediately after.

Annoyed it's taken this long, though. Yeah, I know Johns and Frank are busy guys but DC really need to step it up with the releases of these books.

I really liked Vol 1 and its twist on the Batman mythos so yeah I'm excited.

Extraordinary Member

I liked v.1 and I like a good grounded/crime-driven Batman story, but one tendency Johns seems to have is adding in serial killers or decapitations when they really aren't necessary. I prefer a bit more subtlety, personally. Greg Rucka is good at this, imho.

Another thing I didn't care for in v.1 was that he was solely trained by Alfred and never left Gotham. This incredibly limits his worldview and can't even hope to be half as skilled or formidable as, say, Year One's Batman.

I am gonna get this, though. Frank's art is (as always) fantastic and the writing is just good enough that I won't hate myself too much when buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I liked v.1 and I like a good grounded/crime-driven Batman story, but one tendency Johns seems to have is adding in serial killers or decapitations when they really aren't necessary. I prefer a bit more subtlety, personally. Greg Rucka is good at this, imho.

Another thing I didn't care for in v.1 was that he was solely trained by Alfred and never left Gotham. This incredibly limits his worldview and can't even hope to be half as skilled or formidable as, say, Year One's Batman.

I am gonna get this, though. Frank's art is (as always) fantastic and the writing is just good enough that I won't hate myself too much when buying it.
    That's the point though. If he did go out there and train what would really set him apart from regular Batman?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    That's the point though. If he did go out there and train what would really set him apart from regular Batman?
    Well, Bale's Batman from Begins went out there and trained and was a bit of a different animal then the comic book Batman at the time. In all, though, I think Johns did Batman a disservice with his approach. Having him never leaving Gotham and training solely under Alfred, Bruce came off as a bit of a brat. Sure it was different, but was the characterization necessarily good? You could do different in ways other than the way Johns did it.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Well, Bale's Batman from Begins went out there and trained and was a bit of a different animal then the comic book Batman at the time. In all, though, I think Johns did Batman a disservice with his approach. Having him never leaving Gotham and training solely under Alfred, Bruce came off as a bit of a brat. Sure it was different, but was the characterization necessarily good? You could do different in ways other than the way Johns did it.
    You have to remind that Earth One is more "grounded" so having Bruce to train all over the world is stretching a little, him being somewhat of a brat well, how else a rich kid can be?

The only thing really different is that Nolan Batman isn't about revenge but more for improving society so Gotham doesn't need him, as for his training it too is much the same as in the comics except he focused on making his fighting skills better and didn't really bother with trying to be a detective. Except for those things hes still largely Batman, plus I think the idea of a Batman who isn't super perfect for everything since day 1 leaves room for him to grow in his skill set and abilities even after putting up the costume.

I also think leaving him in Gotham is a cool twist as it means that Bruce was there and watched the city go to hell over the years where as he left before it got bad, and only came back when it reached its absolute worst point in main continuity. This way he was a witness to its transformation and as a result its made him a lot angrier as he's had to watch it all happen and keep all that rage pent up without a proper way to vent it. That's why I think he acts like a punk during most of v1.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    You have to remind that Earth One is more "grounded" so having Bruce to train all over the world is stretching a little...
    This is actually a pretty good point, but Miller did make it seem pretty believable in YO. And it's not like it's unheard of for rich people to travel across the world for particularly lengthy periods at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    ...him being somewhat of a brat well, how else a rich kid can be?
    This I have to disagree with. It's like saying every poor person a moocher or thug (although if you're kidding, it's all good ).
    Last edited by phonogram12; 12-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The only thing really different is that Nolan Batman isn't about revenge but more for improving society so Gotham doesn't need him, as for his training it too is much the same as in the comics except he focused on making his fighting skills better and didn't really bother with trying to be a detective. Except for those things hes still largely Batman...
    I have to disagree. I think being a detective is integral to his personality. Removing this aspect from the movie was a major issue I had with the movie.

...plus I think the idea of a Batman who isn't super perfect for everything since day 1 leaves room for him to grow in his skill set and abilities even after putting up the costume.
    In Year One he really wasn't super perfect. His first time in costume he had a problem with three teenagers stealing a tv (he didn't even save the tv).

I also think leaving him in Gotham is a cool twist as it means that Bruce was there and watched the city go to hell over the years where as he left before it got bad, and only came back when it reached its absolute worst point in main continuity. This way he was a witness to its transformation and as a result its made him a lot angrier as he's had to watch it all happen and keep all that rage pent up without a proper way to vent it. That's why I think he acts like a punk during most of v1.
    I actually understand all that. It's just that it was a decision that I think made Bruce a bit less likable than he should have been.

I have to disagree. I think being a detective is integral to his personality. Removing this aspect from the movie was a major issue I had with the movie.

In Year One he really wasn't super perfect. His first time in costume he had a problem with three teenagers stealing a tv (he didn't even save the tv).

I actually understand all that. It's just that it was a decision that I think made Bruce a bit less likable than he should have been.
    I didn't really mind him not being a detective in the Nolan movies, its an alternate universe so I don't really care if they want to focus on other aspects of him while ignoring others, plus his detective stories don't really appeal to me all that much. Its obvious they wanted to make him more Caped Crusader and not Worlds Greatest Detective. As for Year One yes he has that once instance and then after that he's pretty much soloing the entire mob, it takes the entire SWAT team cornering him in a building for him to actually be in danger.

I don't really find Bruce that likable usually anyway. The only Batman I can actually call likable in terms of his personality on a consistent basis is the Nolan one. Main continuity Batman can be pretty alright but he can vary from being good to a complete ******* and DCAU Batman is easily a gargantuan prick to everyone until something bad happens which he just uses as an excuse to be an even bigger prick then ever before.