Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    I didn't really mind him not being a detective in the Nolan movies, its an alternate universe so I don't really care if they want to focus on other aspects of him while ignoring others, plus his detective stories don't really appeal to me all that much. Its obvious they wanted to make him more Caped Crusader and not Worlds Greatest Detective.
    Like I said before, I feel Batman being a detective is absolutely vital to the character, regardless of the medium he's portrayed in. You take that away he might as well go into action without his cape. I guess that's another thing we're going to have to disagree on.

As for Year One yes he has that once instance and then after that he's pretty much soloing the entire mob, it takes the entire SWAT team cornering him in a building for him to actually be in danger.
    You have to keep in mind, though, Year One was exactly that: a story that chronicled an entire year. If he didn't improve in that entire time, he might as well've just hung it up or wait for Alfred to show up with a shotgun the next time he went off to face The Penguin.

I don't really find Bruce that likable usually anyway. The only Batman I can actually call likable in terms of his personality on a consistent basis is the Nolan one. Main continuity Batman can be pretty alright but he can vary from being good to a complete asshole and DCAU Batman is easily a gargantuan prick to everyone until something bad happens which he just uses as an excuse to be an even bigger prick then ever before.
    See, even if I don't think the character is all that likable (my favorite version is Greg Rucka's and his was a giant dick) I at least have to like the character, you know what I mean? Rucka's version was a dick because of his mission - to protect Gotham at all costs. Johns' version, well, he seemed to just be lashing out. Kinda temper tantrum-ish, quite frankly.

Like I said before, I did enjoy the book, it's just questionable how worth my money I felt it would have been without Gary Frank's superlative art making up for Johns' shortcomings.

I still haven't read Volume 1 is it any good and should I put it on my Christmas List.

Extraordinary Member

The art makes it worth the money alone. I liked Alfred, too. Johns makes a few...interesting choices with some of the other characters that you may or may not agree with, but like I said, there are few books out there with as gorgeous art as this.

Different interpretations are fine. He has many aspects and word's greatest detective is just one

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The art makes it worth the money alone. I liked Alfred, too. Johns makes a few...interesting choices with some of the other characters that you may or may not agree with, but like I said, there are few books out there with as gorgeous art as this.
    Good art is always a double plus in my book. I guess I'll check it out. thanks for the rundown without giving too much away.

I liked the Superman earth one's better,I wonder if after vol three of that and this one will we get Earth One World's Finest by JMS and Johns just in time for the 2016movie

Wow...the last volume came out like, 2 years ago?

Looking forward to this. I still find it quite amazing that the teaser at the end of the first volume hints at Riddler involvement, and then Zero Year came and did the Riddler as a big bad first. Time flies

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm getting volume one for Christmas. I don't mind that Bruce isn't a master detective uber badass yet in this continuity, as he is just starting out. That seems to be the major complaint about this version, but hopefully volume 2 will build him up into that, especially if the Riddler is involved.

I'm a little concerned about Harvey Dent's "secret agenda." I hope he's a good man struggling with his inner darkness, and not just a corrupt asshole from the get go. Nuanced Harvey is hard to come by these days.

I need to re-read the first Earth One but I wasn't a big fan of it personally. With Riddler being the big bad though it'll be enough to at least make me give it a go though, I'm obviously a sucker for all things Nygma

I love the first volume. Every character has a solid arc, and the characterization is really interesting. IT's intense and moving too. Not to mention the art is gorgeous. I can't wait for volume 2.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed volume one as well.Two should be good as well!