• Zeus origin and Diana as part of the Olympians

27 43.55%
  • Diana as goddess of War

34 54.84%
  • Swiss army braceletes

33 53.23%
  • God mode

31 50.00%
  • Designs (Wondy, Gods, N.Gods, F.Born, etc)

35 56.45%
  • Zola as her human buddy

26 41.94%
  • Sex piracy

10 16.13%
  • More down to earth designs and way of life for Amazons and Paradise Island

16 25.81%
  • Diana's training by both the Amazons and Ares

28 45.16%
  • More grey-ish, whimsical Olympians, eg: Ares as an antihero of sorts

33 53.23%
  • Orion romance (editorial didnt allow it to happen, but still...)

14 22.58%
  • Superman romance

15 24.19%
  • Normal sword as standard equipment, placed at her hip.

13 20.97%
  • Steve Trevor's is back and his handling in the new 52

26 41.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Wow........it's kind of scary how many of those panels look alike. Then again, I haven't read the book in a long time so this is the first or second time I'm seeing most of these pictures.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Those close-ups are of course rather cherry-picked.

And the poster also seems to think facial expressions consist of lips and lips only.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Those close-ups are of course rather cherry-picked.

And the poster also seems to think facial expressions consist of lips and lips only.
    They're symptomatic of how I see Ching's Wonder Woman. It's the same thing over and over again and the fill in artists are worse. It's just not an aesthetic I find appealing. I prefer a more realistic art style.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

I really like Azz's Orion. He's fun and irritating. They would've been a fun couple.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I wouldn't call anything he's done "innovative". That's quite a reach, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I wouldn't call anything he's done "innovative". That's quite a reach, IMO.
    Well sure, but he did introduce a lot of new elements in this franchise, so they are "innovations" as far as it is concerned. Or maybe my english is failing me.

My point was, did you like any of the aforementioned stuff?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Well sure, but he did introduce a lot of new elements in this franchise, so they are "innovations" as far as it is concerned. Or maybe my english is failing me.

My point was, did you like any of the aforementioned stuff?
    No. I don't really see anything he's done as innovative because I think a few writers from past eras have touched on certain things he's done. Not precisely in the same way mind you, but ever so slightly. For example, having some kind of father figure, romance, goddess of something, armor adjustments, seemingly irredeemable/uncivilized amazons, different design for gods, altering supporting caste, a primitive Themyscira, etc...

However, the things that may possibly be unique to azz's interpretation are the significance of male influences, the detachment from traditional heroics and emphasis on the mythological journey, and the slow pacing.

So, no. I can't say that I liked any of that stuff.
    Last edited by Amazon Swordsman; 05-15-2014 at 11:55 PM.

There are many things on that list that I liked that have happened despite Azzarello's stewardship, not because of him. Such as Steve's new role in the DCU.

The one thing that I do enjoy is her role as the God of War. Even that, though, I like due to it's handling under Soule's pen more than anything that Az has written.

While I don't like that he completely tossed out her clay origin - at all - I do like her status as an equal of her gods. It never quite made sense to me that she blindly worshipped these flawed beings in previous incarnations. Having them as 'family' does make a bit more senes.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    No. I don't really see anything he's done as innovative because I think a few writers from past eras have touched on certain things he's done. Not precisely in the same way mind you, but ever so slightly. For example, having some kind of father figure, romance, goddess of something, armor adjustments, seemingly irredeemable/uncivilized amazons, different design for gods, altering supporting caste, a primitive Themyscira, etc...

However, the things that may possibly be unique to azz's interpretation are the significance of male influences, the detachment from traditional heroics and emphasis on the mythological journey, and the slow pacing.

So, no. I can't say that I liked any of that stuff.

I feel the same way about a lot of these items that others see as Azz's innovations. Other Wonder Woman writers have done them or something very similar before:

Diana as goddess of War - Byrne had WW become the Goddess of Truth.
    God mode - New 52 variant of Pre-Crisis Berserker Mode
    Designs (Wondy, Gods, N.Gods, F.Born, etc) - Changed several times over the years, especially in Rucka's run.
    More grey-ish, whimsical Olympians, eg: Ares as an antihero of sorts - Done one & off through the years in Perez, Rucka, and Simone's runs.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I dont mean to defend Azz, especially now that i've grown disillusioned with his run, but i think that even all the stuff you mentioned werent always in the WW comics. Yes, we had berseker mode... in the Golden Age. We had Diana as the goddess of Truth, but not War. We've had various designs over the years, but these are the new ones.

So all i was asking is whether you like the redesign, update, reinterpretation and reintroduction of all this stuff. I didnt know the word "innovation" would cause so much trouble, i was merely trying to find a word for all the things Azz added to WW which she didnt have a few years ago. And for example the berseker mode wasnt here 5 years ago.

I dont mean to defend Azz, especially now that i've grown disillusioned with his run, but i think that even all the stuff you mentioned werent always in the WW comics. Yes, we had berseker mode... in the Golden Age. We had Diana as the goddess of Truth, but not War. We've had various designs over the years, but these are the new ones.

So all i was asking is whether you like the redesign, update, reinterpretation and reintroduction of all this stuff. I didnt know the word "innovation" would cause so much trouble, i was merely trying to find a word for all the things Azz added to WW which she didnt have a few years ago. And for example the berseker mode wasnt here 5 years ago.

I didn't mean to really question your use of the word "innovation" as you're right, most of these things weren't present in Wonder Woman a few years ago. I just don't see many of them as "new" given that similar things have been done in the past and then there's those on the list that Azz pulled from Greek myth(i.e. Amazon behavior). The swiss-army bracelets, Zola, and the Ares training are definitely new as far as Azz is concerned and the Superman romance, sword as standard accessory, and Steve Trevor upgrade are new in the rest of the New 52.

I would not call your current perspective on Azz's run to be delusional. I would classify it as objective or just simply less interested than you had been. Delusional would imply some sort of mental illness on your part and I don't think that's the case with you although I may need to run more tests to be 100% sure.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-16-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Well the more i think about it, the more i think you guys are right. There are very few actual innovations there. I guess i should have said something like "innovations or reintroductions".

BANNED

So, Azz has brought a lot of new things to the table. Vote the ones you liked. You can select multiple choices.

Some explanations:
    - Option with Orion: Let's assume Azz was allowed to do it and therefore had developped him into a proper love interest. I feel like he stopped using him too much when DC forbid him from going there, so Orion stayed a bit of a pig and therefore not in a position to be anyone WW would want to date.

- Last few options: I had a few more options free, so i decided to ask you about some other new ideas that came from the rest of the new52 and not from Azz. I guess we could change the thread title into "new52 innovations you liked".

- I put the sex piracy thing in a different option from the realistic Amazons one, because i feel it's so special and controversial. I for one believe that we could have these same more realistic Amazons and they could have mated just the same without killing anyone. Masquarading themselves as normal women and seeking dates at bars would be a viable option for example.
    I had to pick Bracelets off and the sex pirate thing. The bracelets off has the potential to bring the other end of the spectrum back (e.g. becoming weak, when the bracelets are bound) and the sex pirates thing is how the Amazons should have always been portrayed; the only problem now, from that one point, is Wonder Woman's personality disconnection from the rest of the Amazons. I liked how Azz began the process of showing fragments of Wonder Woman's personal life; now, I want to see a lot more of her personal life.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Why is she always the "God" of War now? Has she lost her sex or something?
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Why is she always the "God" of War now? Has she lost her sex or something?
    It's similar to how 'actor' has become largely gender-neutral while 'actress' is being slowly phased out and becoming archaic. Language evolves.