Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Effective telepathy jamming tech seems to have been around long enough that in a Spidey crossover decades back, some normal protestors were able to lay hands on it and make Xavier's telepathy ineffective across the ESU campus (or at least in one office there, trying to remember full details). So, if it's been around so long, you'd think Stark or somebody would have sold such devices to the Secret Service, NORAD, Wall Street, etc., i.e., anywhere you really don't want telepaths messing around either with reading minds or with mind control.

But the existence of such technology is by no means sudden, just Tony remembering that he knows how to build it...
    It's the city scale part I have the problem with.
    I've never had an issue with building being retro-fitted to deal with telepaths.
    Nor with wearable devices to give the wearer protection from telepathy.
    But to pull out a machine that just stops a telepathic signal over an area as large as a city.
    It's just silly writing to me.

The same with a Gene Bomb and the Extremsis App.
    How do you put the lid back on those from a shared universe point of view.
    I mean, I actually really like the idea and the concepts from the Extremsis App storyline.
    So I'm torn with regards to that one.
    But the fact is the Marvel Universe is a shared universe and the Extremsis tech is this massively powerful thing that can grant perfect health and change appearance.
    And it's now apparently deliverable via an application on a mobile phone?
    Good luck explaining why Tony doesn't share those health benefits once the story is over.

Plus there was the fact that the Inverted Avengers casually shrunk all their hero friends.
    And that Jarvis randomly used cloaking technology to hide the skull.
    There's just rampant use of tech in this story that's just randomly plucked from the ether that I find a little irksome as a reader.
    (Although, credit to them for actually building on tech that has been previously used)

Luckily I really enjoy the idea of the inversions.
    (Even if it's execution has been less than perfect.)
    So I've still been able to enjoy the story despite it's flaws.
    Last edited by anthony_lynch15; 12-22-2014 at 04:25 AM.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

I'm still predicting Wasp will join the X-Men but who knows..

At this point I'll be happy if she lives.

You know what would be cool?

An inverted Avenger (Thor maybe?) kills Havok and this somehow leads Wasp to join the X-Men.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Wasp joining the X-Men? Don't see it happening personally since they seem to have issues with non-mutants being at the Jean Grey School (at least based on the first issue of Spider-Man and the X-Men). Would be interesting though and as a fan of Wasp I'd certainly read it just to see what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Wasp joining the X-Men? Don't see it happening personally since they seem to have issues with non-mutants being at the Jean Grey School (at least based on the first issue of Spider-Man and the X-Men). Would be interesting though and as a fan of Wasp I'd certainly read it just to see what it's like.
    I think the possible future panel of Wasp with the X-Men in All-New X-Men 25# was foreshadowing.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Guess we'll see soon enough Captain M.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    It's the city scale part I have the problem with.
    I've never had an issue with building being retro-fitted to deal with telepaths.
    Nor with wearable devices to give the wearer protection from telepathy.
    But to pull out a machine that just stops a telepathic signal over an area as large as a city.
    It's just silly writing to me.
    Why? If we take, say, cell phone signal jamming as our analogy, once you can figure out how to jam the signal over the internal area/volume of a large building, doing so for a few city blocks, or a whole city, is just a matter of scaling up. The hard part is done, you just need more juice, and if there's one thing Tony also knows, it's how to generate a lot of energy with compact devices...

The same with a Gene Bomb and the Extremsis App.
    How do you put the lid back on those from a shared universe point of view.
    I mean, I actually really like the idea and the concepts from the Extremsis App storyline.
    So I'm torn with regards to that one.
    But the fact is the Marvel Universe is a shared universe and the Extremsis tech is this massively powerful thing that can grant perfect health and change appearance.
    And it's now apparently deliverable via an application on a mobile phone?
    Good luck explaining why Tony doesn't share those health benefits once the story is over.
    Characters have been building both destructive and benign devices with global, sometimes galaxy-wide, effects for quite a long time in the MU, though. As for the Extremis app, I'm still assuming that the actual Extremis 'virus' (or nanites, or whatever you want to call it) had to be physically introduced to the inhabitants of San Francisco before the Extremis app on their phones would let them control and use the Extremis. The app just sends the proper RF signals from their phones to give all the little Extremis units their marching orders on how to change your body.

As for the long-run setting implications of this kind of stuff being released, yeah, if they were to deal with it logically it would really change the world. Of course, much the same could be said of Tony's repulsor-powered cars (and cars would have been the least of the uses for that tech, really, considering all the coal and nuclear plants it could also have replaced). But the part that's silly is the backing off to something that looks like our own status quo IRL, not the initial idea of these folks releasing their tech into the wild.

Plus there was the fact that the Inverted Avengers casually shrunk all their hero friends.
    And that Jarvis randomly used cloaking technology to hide the skull.
    There's just rampant use of tech in this story that's just randomly plucked from the ether that I find a little irksome as a reader.
    (Although, credit to them for actually building on tech that has been previously used)
    If it's tech that's been previously used, then it's not plucked from the ether, though. It's weird that they didn't remember it until it served Remender's story just now, and not at any time in between, perhaps, and it will be difficult to explain why Pym himself doesn't pull this trick when it would come in handy in the future, but it's not fair to try to have it both ways on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Why? If we take, say, cell phone signal jamming as our analogy, once you can figure out how to jam the signal over the internal area/volume of a large building, doing so for a few city blocks, or a whole city, is just a matter of scaling up. The hard part is done, you just need more juice, and if there's one thing Tony also knows, it's how to generate a lot of energy with compact devices...
    that is not t how things like that work, 10 times the range requires 100 times the power, 100 times requires 10,000 times the power. Radio propagation then comes into effect and limits most of the power to about 5/4ths the geometric line of sight unless you are working at lower frequencies (which require big antennas), And that is only in areas with no obstructions

You can be great-full for those effects otherwise cell Phones, which depend on those limits, would not work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Nope. Under the abilities section. In the few times she has appeared as a villian she not only designed the mind trap device from the DPS but also the mind swap gun from UXM 151, the muti-vac (which was shown to be superior to Cerebro) and the psionic bracelet as well (Both from the Fire star mini-series).

http://media.emmafrostfiles.com/comi...0x1000_q90.jpg
    Interesting how her outfit gets skimpier as we move forward in time

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Interesting how her outfit gets skimpier as we move forward in time
    Well, her current black outfit has about the same amout of fabric.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, her current black outfit has about the same amout of fabric.
    This woman has an incredible resistance to catching a chill, is that one of her mutant powers?

This woman has an incredible resistance to catching a chill, is that one of her mutant powers?

Also walking up a mountain in heels is another one.

Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-22-2014 at 05:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post

Also walking up a mountain in heels is another one.

I'm always amazed at how much the X-men have accepted her considering what she did to them.

I'm always amazed at how much the X-men have accepted her considering what she did to them.
    She stopped being an anatagonist in Uncanny X-Men 210 when Magneto leading the X-Men at the time formed an alliance with the Hellfire Club (1986). The New Mutants and Magneto then had an argument over whether they should be allowed onto battlefield in New Mutants 75 (1989). After Xavier came back they formalised their alliance (Uncanny X-Men 281, 1991). The ones who she kidnapped and locked in cages consisted of Xavier, Colossus, Wolverine and Nightcrawler all who have forgiven her. Storm hasn't and that was the Phoenix Force not Jean at the time. She also was co-Headmistress with Banshee in Gen X (Generation X 1 1994).

After Morrisons X-Men she re-opened the school as no one else wanted. Most thought she was mind-controlling Cyclops. However, by Manifest Destiny most have forgiven her.

Storm hasn't but there has been some development on their relationship. And I don't think Dani Moonstar has forgiven her but they are able to work together. Kitty Pryde and Emma have had a lot of development on their relationship so there is a mutual understanding there.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-22-2014 at 06:13 PM.