Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Fond Farewell to The Colbert Report

I loved, loved, LOVED The Colbert Report from start to finish, as did (I imagine) anyone who followed and was a big fan of Stephen during his time on The Daily Show. I remember laughing to tears when they showed the fake promo for it a year or two before the show actually got made:

It's going to be hard not seeing that version of Stephen Colbert on a more regular basis, but I am looking forward to seeing what he does with The Late Show next year.

Some of my favorite moments that instantly spring to mind:

• His segment with Rush. In the interview he asks them "You're known for your long songs, have you ever written a song so epic that by the end of the song you were actually influenced by yourself at the beginning of the song?" To hammer the point home, he ended the show with him going to sleep as they played "Tom Sawyer", and started the next night's show with him waking up to them still playing it.
    • Every Difference Makers segment. The way he would make all these mundane or ridiculous issues sound like hard-hitting scandalous news cracked me up every time.
    • The Sport Report, when he was following the Ontario Hockey League (and promoted the Saginaw Spirit mascot naming contest, which went to "Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle")
    • Stephen's touching tribute to his (at the time, recently deceased) mother
    • "Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)" by Stephen and the Colberts
    • So many good Better Know a District segments, but my favorite was when he was interviewing someone who was running opposed in his district (the name escapes me), so Stephen convinces him to say some phrases that would normally be political suicide if it were an actual race.

There are so many more, what are some of your favorites?
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

thanks for doing this for me. been distracted all night and all.

but one of my favorite moments was his epic dance off with rain. stephen was getting down.

but yeah, it's gonna be hard to not have the capital of the colbert nation on tv any more but he changed the nation in ways i dont think anyone could've imagined.

Here's a partial list of the celebrities (as of this writing, no mention of Randy Newman, who started it off), including the clip from Comedy Central.

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/19/741989...rt-finale-song

One of the best send-offs ever. I've been humming "We'll Meet Again" for the past 3 hours.

I've been watching Colbert since the beginning, and while I'll miss the fake Stephen I'll gladly follow the real Stephen to his next project.

I really loved how delighted Cyndi Lauper seemed to be to have ended up next to Big Bird in the cameo crowd.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Sadly I am a late bloomer to Colbert, watched very infrequently the last 3 years or so, but I think he's hilarious and the character he portrayed was so much fun. However, I do not work far from the Ed Sullivan theatre where his Late Show will be taped, so I will definitely get tickets for a taping at least once.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member

I spotted Joe Quesada in one of the group shots near the end of the song.