Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It's like if Kate bishop started calling herself spider girl

So is Jessica drew getting deaged or something?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's the swimsuits, they went from standard to thong and every artist just had to make sure we knew that women had large rear ends. I don't recall Spiderman's rear ever being exaggerated. Even with a suit like Jessica's that cover her they still showed every bit of her in some pose the basically said "Buy this title and you can have imaginary sex with this character". I can't really hold it against anyone for wanting to see that stopped.
    I agree that the artists took it to far, but this costume change doesnt stop that. Jessica isnt quite wearing a burqa. You will see the same booty shots whenever can find an opportunity.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    It's like if Kate bishop started calling herself spider girl

So is Jessica drew getting deaged or something?
    According to the Bendis/Reed origin she was in a coma for 11 years of her young life, so I don't think acting a little young from time to time is out of character for her.

Having said that, I don't think that just because her outfit looks sort of fashionable, she needs to be younger. It seems as reasonable as most any superhero costume would be for a woman in her early 30s; maybe more than her last costume due to the decrease in spandex.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    According to the Bendis/Reed origin she was in a coma for 11 years of her young life, so I don't think acting a little young from time to time is out of character for her.
    Always a good point. She was in a stasis tank from about 8-16. (Skipping puberty may have been a blessing... who knows.) Then the skrulls got her and she skipped most of her late 20s too. (They never say how long it was, but if you put together all of the pieces, it had to have been 2-3 years.)

But yeah... as a person the same age as Jessica (give or take a year or two)... I'd much rather wear the new costume than the old!

BANNED

I wonder if along with the new costume they'll retcon her origin again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post

Having said that, I don't think that just because her outfit looks sort of fashionable, she needs to be younger. It seems as reasonable as most any superhero costume would be for a woman in her early 30s; maybe more than her last costume due to the decrease in spandex.
    Yeah, I don't get it with folks thinking she looks younger or is younger in this get up. It's a costume that an OLDER woman would want to wear as opposed to the leotard look (and look quite good in).

I understand why they changed the costume. Kinda on the fence with this one. I might like it better if they kept the white spidey-like eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The Baroness ; Cobraaaaaa!!!!!!
    Yeah, totally! Did she join S.H.I.E.L.D.? Then it might make sense.

Fantastic Member

The old costume was ridiculous. A full red body-paint like costume with arrows leading male gaze, for a character that has been often portrayed as a spy? Yeah, no.

The new costume is much, much better.

It's boring and bland but nothing in the design itself is offensive. The presumed and likely intent of the change, though? I find that kinda irritating. But after the last two years or so with Marvel it's something I've come to accept.

Actually, the goggles are absolutely awful. Those are the real crime in this whole thing.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

I think it's great! Very nice design, looks practical but still colorful and fun.

Like a few others have said, I immediately thought of Kate Bishop. Not very original or appealing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBarbarian View Post
    Like a few others have said, I immediately thought of Kate Bishop. Not very original or appealing in my opinion.
    I think some of this has to do with how Javier Rodriguez has drawn Jessica's face, because I also thought for it was Kate at first. But if you look at her face in Kris Anka's design she looks a bit older and not like Kate.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    I liked the jacket - when I saw it as part of the batgirl redo a few months ago.

<meeeowr, catty>
    Pretty much...
    I just hope this zipped up jacket style doesn't become the new pouches for superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Pretty much...
    I just hope this zipped up jacket style doesn't become the new pouches for superheroes.
    See. Part of the problem is that there is absolutely nowhere to put an iPhone in that spandex suit. That wasn't an issue when it was first designed. This new costume has pockets!