Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Where's the "I like it but not for Jessica Drew" option?

It looks more like a teenaged heroes custom not a veteran like Drew.

Astonishing Member

It's not a bad design, like say the new Dazzler outfit. It's better than Captain Marvel's which has too many disparate elements and a stupid helmet. But I'm hoping this is an addition to her wardrobe and not a replacement for her classic look. I think the original is much more appropriate when she's fighting alongside the Avengers -- or say, rescuing kids from a burning building. The original outfit pops on the page. The new one doesn't -- which I guess is the point when she's doing investigative or undercover work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    If you're NOT reading Spider-Verse, skip the current issues. That's a shame, but unfortunately it's the way they are. Since I'm reading Spider-Verse, I'm digging it, especially this latest issue. But I feel bad for those who just wanted this book because I can't see a new reader deriving the same enjoyment because it is VERY involved in the plot of the main event in as far as it's the reason she's doing what she's doing, why the other characters are there, who the villain is, etc.

Issues #1-3 are straight tie-ins with #4 being billed as an epilogue issue; that COULD be a good point if it serves as kind of a bridge in the sense of let's wrap up what just happened and set up what will happen. Issue #5 may well be your best bet to jump on if #4 is more the former than the latter.
    I'm reading the spider-verse story taking place in ASM but I'm not reading any of the tie-in's

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It's not a bad design, like say the new Dazzler outfit. It's better than Captain Marvel's which has too many disparate elements and a stupid helmet. But I'm hoping this is an addition to her wardrobe and not a replacement for her classic look. I think the original is much more appropriate when she's fighting alongside the Avengers -- or say, rescuing kids from a burning building. The original outfit pops on the page. The new one doesn't -- which I guess is the point when she's doing investigative or undercover work.
    I agree with the bold. i don't know if they would but I'd like it if she went back and forth depending on the job she's doing. A bright red and yellow outfit just doesn't seem like it would be very productive in the secret agent/undercover role.

Anyways, I really like the new outfit. She does look a bit young in it, but it has more to do the way her face is drawn I think. I do like the old costume too, but I'm excited to see where her book will go with the new costume, and new artist.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    I'm reading the spider-verse story taking place in ASM but I'm not reading any of the tie-in's
    Oh, then you might enjoy Spider-Woman then. You don't need to read Scarlet Spiders or 2099; it focuses solely on Jessica's side mission with Anya and Silk. You don't need it to understand Spider-Verse, but you need Spider-Verse to understand it! lol Basically, if you're digging Spider-Verse in the ASM book and you want to see in more detail what Jess' team is up to since leaping into the portal, here's where to find it. :-)

Do you guys really think the classic costume is objectively better for current Jessica Drew stories, or even most Jessica Drew stories through the history of the character? Or is the disdain based mostly on some sense of principle, with "genuine superhero" on one end of the scale and like... "trying to look cool" or something, on the supposedly bad end?

The character has been in detective or espionage stories more often than not, continuing to today. With the classic costume she never really seemed to fit in with say, Secret Avengers.. but imagine her standing next to Black Widow in the new costume. Totally works in a way it didn't before!

I love that the new look seems more in line with how the character has mostly been written, while retaining all the most iconic elements of the classic costume.. the diamond, the web wings, etc.. and it just looks cooler! Like, not "cooler" informed by any sense of what's "hip" these days, but to me this seems every bit the fantasy wish fulfillment as any 70's costume. It's not "easier to cosplay" in any logistical sense that I can tell; I can't imagine it's any harder to sew a yellow diamond on a spandex jumpsuit than a jacket with retractable web wings. The difference is that the new version looks more like something people (or maybe just me?) would want to be, which gets to the core of what superheros are good for.

As for similarities to Batgirl, etc... like, what's your point? Are you criticizing Anka's creative process, or can costumes not be good if they're similar to other costumes? It seems to me that, more than any simple 1:1 cause and effect, the Spider-Woman and Batgirl designs, among others, are all influenced by an unquantifiable number of things that inform current aesthetic sensibilities, in much the same way that you can pick out designs from the previous eras. I understand that to some people these sensibilities must seem to be reinforcing a sense that costumes have to be "practical" or even worse, "filmable," and that fantasy isn't ok anymore. But seriously... these newer looks are TOTAL fantasy; I think they just represent a shift in what kind of fantasies people want to see, and maybe not everyone's shifting the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    Do you guys really think the classic costume is objectively better for current Jessica Drew stories, or even most Jessica Drew stories through the history of the character? Or is the disdain based mostly on some sense of principle, with "genuine superhero" on one end of the scale and like... "trying to look cool" or something, on the supposedly bad end?
    There is no 'objectively better' in costume design. It all boils down to what you like and what you don't... purely subjective.

I like it. I don't love it, but I like it. I think if her character is going in the direction they seem to imply, it makes some logical sense.

Either way... a character I really like is suddenly getting a ton of attention. Yay!

[QUOTE=CBR News;794176]What Do You Think of Spider-Woman's All-New Look?

For the first time in nearly four decades, Jessica Drew's got a new superheroing suit and now we want to know, what do you think of Spider-Woman's new look?

I'm not a big fan of the new trend to make superheroes look more "realistic" by doing away with their familiar costumes. After all, these are comic books about superheroes. They weren't meant to be "realistic."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post

The character has been in detective or espionage stories more often than not, continuing to today. With the classic costume she never really seemed to fit in with say, Secret Avengers.. but imagine her standing next to Black Widow in the new costume. Totally works in a way it didn't before!

I love that the new look seems more in line with how the character has mostly been written, while retaining all the most iconic elements of the classic costume.. the diamond, the web wings, etc.. and it just looks cooler! Like, not "cooler" informed by any sense of what's "hip" these days, but to me this seems every bit the fantasy wish fulfillment as any 70's costume. It's not "easier to cosplay" in any logistical sense that I can tell; I can't imagine it's any harder to sew a yellow diamond on a spandex jumpsuit than a jacket with retractable web wings. The difference is that the new version looks more like something people (or maybe just me?) would want to be, which gets to the core of what superheros are good for.

As for similarities to Batgirl, etc... like, what's your point? Are you criticizing Anka's creative process, or can costumes not be good if they're similar to other costumes? It seems to me that, more than any simple 1:1 cause and effect, the Spider-Woman and Batgirl designs, among others, are all influenced by an unquantifiable number of things that inform current aesthetic sensibilities, in much the same way that you can pick out designs from the previous eras. I understand that to some people these sensibilities must seem to be reinforcing a sense that costumes have to be "practical" or even worse, "filmable," and that fantasy isn't ok anymore. But seriously... these newer looks are TOTAL fantasy; I think they just represent a shift in what kind of fantasies people want to see, and maybe not everyone's shifting the same way...
    This was an excellent post.

BANNED

I was cool with the old costume. i guess the art that people were strangely offended by is the catalyst for this now. What a joke!!! But really the costume doesn't much matter, I hope the writing is halfway decent

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'm okay with it. I was fine with the classic one too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    Oh, then you might enjoy Spider-Woman then. You don't need to read Scarlet Spiders or 2099; it focuses solely on Jessica's side mission with Anya and Silk. You don't need it to understand Spider-Verse, but you need Spider-Verse to understand it! lol Basically, if you're digging Spider-Verse in the ASM book and you want to see in more detail what Jess' team is up to since leaping into the portal, here's where to find it. :-)
    just kinda on the fence about it...

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    just kinda on the fence about it...
    I guess it all depends on your affinity for the character. Me? I don't hate Jess, but I have zero interest in a solo book starring her, so while I'm enjoying the Spider-Verse tie-in issues, I have no intention of staying on once it's done. Now if you're a big fan of the character AND you're already getting ASM at least for the duration of SV, then, sure, I can totally see getting it. To be honest, I'm only even getting ASM because of SV. I like Spider-Man but have never in my life collected him monthly. Last Spider-Man issues I bought besides the Original Sin tie-ins were Spider-Island.

I don't like the costume to begin with.
    An added downside is that with new costumes like this and Batgirl, they get an added artstyle that de-ages these characters.
    Batgirl in other series and her own before the creative team change came off a lot more mature than she does now.
    And judging by what little art I've seen so far of Spider-Woman in her new outfit, it seems like the same is going to happen to Jessica Drew.

Amazing Member

I'm not overly fussed on it. It reminds me of the rebooted Wonder Woman costume from a few years back. And, as others have pointed out, it seems terribly generic. Something about the detailing and the drawing also makes it looks a bit childish. As if it is the Power Pack version of Jessica.

I am certain there is a modified outfit out there that could work. But if the intention is to make her look more "street level" then why not just opt for everyday clothes? It's hardly stealthy, or undercover to wear instantly recognizable glasses, and a huge spider motif on your chest. Granted the previous costume wasn't stealthy either, but at least her identity was masked.

I'm not against redesign. MockingBird had a fantastic update under Bendis' tenure, aside from the ugly helmet I think the Captain Marvel redo was apt, ditto the Scarlet Witch.

I just feel that this particular design is neither fish nor fowl. It has no Wow Factor, provides no secret identity and even Clark Kent's Ma can tell you that you don't wear glasses to a fight.

Having said all that, I guess it looks comfortable, so that's a plus.