Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I like the new look. It seems to fit her thematically and personality wise.

I'm also in general a fan of any costume that isn't painted on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    I guess it all depends on your affinity for the character. Me? I don't hate Jess, but I have zero interest in a solo book starring her, so while I'm enjoying the Spider-Verse tie-in issues, I have no intention of staying on once it's done. Now if you're a big fan of the character AND you're already getting ASM at least for the duration of SV, then, sure, I can totally see getting it. To be honest, I'm only even getting ASM because of SV. I like Spider-Man but have never in my life collected him monthly. Last Spider-Man issues I bought besides the Original Sin tie-ins were Spider-Island.
    I'm just trying to keep myself on a consistent budget and i haven't read anything from hopeless except like two or three issues of avengers undercover

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The old costume was iconic but all too often artists would draw it so that it was essentially paint, rather than spandex. That was edgy back in the day, not it just feels wrong.

Spider-Woman's new outfit looks nice but it doesn't feel like Jessica. Worse still, we have seen three new outfits worn by two new spider-ladies (2 by silk and 1 by Spider-Gwen) and I have to say, this one does not look good in comparison.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    I liked the jacket - when I saw it as part of the batgirl redo a few months ago.

<meeeowr, catty>
    Kris Anka started the design before Stewart/Tarr put out the Batgirl design. Also, Anka puts leather jackets on like, half his designs. Even his Batgirl design that he did, like, months before "Burnside" was announced.

BANNED

I just hope they don't mount a campaign to trash her old costume like they did when Ms. Marvel switched and became Captain Marvel. Suddenly the costume she'd worn for decades became the costume no one liked but hadn't realized that they didn't like it until marvel told them that they didn't like it. Marvel has a strong tendency to try something new and at the same time taunt and ridicule the older fans when they disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I just hope they don't mount a campaign to trash her old costume like they did when Ms. Marvel switched and became Captain Marvel. Suddenly the costume she'd worn for decades became the costume no one liked but hadn't realized that they didn't like it until marvel told them that they didn't like it. Marvel has a strong tendency to try something new and at the same time taunt and ridicule the older fans when they disagree.
    Society changes and people change.

As for the new costume, I really like the new look. Very "secret agenty" and easy on the eyes (sexually and design-wise); though I don't see why some people are saying the old costume was "degrading to women". I'm not a woman, so maybe I'm just ignorant on the subject, but Spider-woman's old threads were one of the more conservative female superhero costumes. I mean, the only skin that the costume allowed you to see was Jessica's mouth and jaw.

Fantastic Member

I wish she got it before the recent New Avengers issues. I cannot take her trying to sneak around with Nat seriously in the old costume. Huge improvement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SKJoker View Post
    I wish she got it before the recent New Avengers issues. I cannot take her trying to sneak around with Nat seriously in the old costume. Huge improvement.
    These are my thoughts every time it is mentioned that she is a spy for 3 or more secret organizations. Bit of a "roll eyes" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by masksNcapes View Post
    As for the new costume, I really like the new look. Very "secret agenty" and easy on the eyes (sexually and design-wise); though I don't see why some people are saying the old costume was "degrading to women". I'm not a woman, so maybe I'm just ignorant on the subject, but Spider-woman's old threads were one of the more conservative female superhero costumes. I mean, the only skin that the costume allowed you to see was Jessica's mouth and jaw.
    It's not so much that it was inherently degrading... but how a lot of artists opted to depict it was: IE, treating it more like body paint than spandex. That's the root of most of the criticism.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    It's not so much that it was inherently degrading... but how a lot of artists opted to depict it was: IE, treating it more like body paint than spandex. That's the root of most of the criticism.
    Eh - as much as I believe that the new costume is far superior, treating superpeoples' costumes like body paint isn't restricted to a certain gender. It's been done for ages for male and female superheroes. Only obvious difference being the physique (and the poses).

I'm digging it. Looks great!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SKJoker View Post
    Eh - as much as I believe that the new costume is far superior, treating superpeoples' costumes like body paint isn't restricted to a certain gender. It's been done for ages for male and female superheroes. Only obvious difference being the physique (and the poses).
    It's the swimsuits, they went from standard to thong and every artist just had to make sure we knew that women had large rear ends. I don't recall Spiderman's rear ever being exaggerated. Even with a suit like Jessica's that cover her they still showed every bit of her in some pose the basically said "Buy this title and you can have imaginary sex with this character". I can't really hold it against anyone for wanting to see that stopped.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-19-2014 at 05:27 PM.

I'm not going to remember what it looks like tomorrow, so...
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Well, I don't think its a bad outfit. In fact I like it, I like it way more than batgirls'. I understand changing it, getting rid of the "sexy". I get it. I do. However this whole "street clothes as a costume" thing bugs me a little. It's been done before, with the x men under morrison, spider-man, and remember when superman wore jeans and boots in the early days of the DCnu? That actually made me laugh.

This kind of thing sort of takes the bombasity out of being a superhero, the flair, the pop. I know I sound old school, but that's just how I feel. Spider-gwen's costume pops, though I don't know why she needs a hood.

Luke cage can do street clothes because that's just who he is. A blue collar type of superhero.

I don't mind it with scarlet witch either. The whole jacket thing works for her.

Like I posted in the other thread, the iconic costume was just too 70s looking for me. I like this one better.