Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    My theory about Secret Wars is far simpler - latest Incursion is 616 and 1610, the heroes of both universes clearly don't want to kill each other, Beyonder is revealed as the mastermind overseeing the Incursions, both universes blow up, then it's revealed the 'losing' universes which Beyonder thinks most interesting makes up his new Battleworld.

And in my opinion the best and balliest way for Secret Wars to end is leaving Battleworld as it is, with the numerous realities and character interacting togethjer in the aftermath of defeating the Beyonder, and characters like Ultron, the Marvel Zombies, AOA Apoc and Maestro to act as enemies.
    I could see that happening. And it would also certainly simply their multiverse. Only problem is that it eliminates stories like Spider-Verse from happening. Are we just supposed to assume all of these Earth's are dead? If your theory is correct, why would Marvel start up a book like spider-gwen knowing they have to kill her off and cancel the book after secret wars? Just doesn't add up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Please. Enough with the practicality.

We're reading COMIC BOOKS, not Tom Clancy novels.
    Agreed. Practical was when Psylocke wore armour. Practical is when Wolverine used to TRY and Dodge shitte. Practical was when Marvel continuity made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    It's very, very strange that Marvel is coping DC when it's winning so solidly market share-wise.

All I see with that map is a rip off of the New 52
    I'm confused, what about that map reminds you of the New 52?

I liked the old suit, but I really like the new suit, and since it being "practical" doesn't bother me, I'm looking forward to seeing this one in the comics. I also like that her jacket still incorporates the yellow triangles but actually looks like a spider now with the legs.

As for Secret Wars, I'm really excited to see where that goes. I have found it weird that they have all these new titles starting just a few months before it, which makes me think/hope that everything wouldn't be rebooted or restarted because that's just kinda a cruel tease.

Amazing Member

Default No, just No! I mean really.

[QUOTE=Loulou;795875]I liked the old suit, but I really like the new suit, and since it being "practical" doesn't bother me, I'm looking forward to seeing this one in the comics. I also like that her jacket still incorporates the yellow triangles but actually looks like a spider now with the legs.

See now, that one feature is actually my biggest grievance with the new costume. Well apart from the whole generic look of the costume, and the fugly glasses. The Spider design to me is just too on the nose. I find it too child like. I felt that on her old costume the three eyed mask was a far better, and subtler, signifier of her arachnid abilities. If she is supposed to be more street level, and therefore presumably dealing with thugs and low-lifes, then that jacket is going to get her laughed out of dodge in most establishments. I am not even saying a redesign was not called for, just not that one please. And as for the ubiquitous cry of practicality that seems to be the greatest line of defence for the outfit, wha?.....

"Oh look, it's that grown ass woman wearing that kids jacket with a spider design on it, and no mask, who can she possibly be?"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    It's very, very strange that Marvel is coping DC when it's winning so solidly market share-wise.

All I see with that map is a rip off of the New 52
    Seeing as Tom Brevoort was already alluding to Secret Wars back in May of 2013, it's safe to say that Secret Wars isn't a rip-off or direct response to anything that DC's doing. As for Secret Wars, I think pretty much the whole Marvel line will be replaced with "Battleworld" books while SW plays out and then everything returns post-SW.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 12-20-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    And in my opinion the best and balliest way for Secret Wars to end is leaving Battleworld as it is, with the numerous realities and character interacting togethjer in the aftermath of defeating the Beyonder, and characters like Ultron, the Marvel Zombies, AOA Apoc and Maestro to act as enemies.
    Are regular people part of Battleworld or just heroes/villains? It's hard to see how society would just go along, different countries, governments, people with jobs, secret identities, hating mutants, organizations like SHIELD, etc. All the humanity of the universe would be gone and it'd be endless superhero battles. Great for a video game, boring for an ongoing comic, IMO.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Seeing as Tom Brevoort was already alluding to Secret Wars back in May of 2013, it's safe to say that Secret Wars isn't a rip-off or direct response to anything that DC's doing. As for Secret Wars, I think pretty much the whole Marvel line will be replaced with "Battleworld" books while SW plays out and then everything returns post-SW.
    This basically.

BANNED

"Practical" is not a word you can just throw out there to justify why you like a characters new costume. Batgirls new outfit is not more "practical" than the one she had before; you know, the one that was obviously armor plated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Agreed. Practical was when Psylocke wore armour. Practical is when Wolverine used to TRY and Dodge shitte. Practical was when Marvel continuity made sense.
    Bravo! I totally agree if marvel is worried about practical they should start with a laundry list of other things before they get to the costumes. Number 1 being try going an issue without a continuity error. Heck try not to contradict the continuity of three issues prior. I understand you want good stories above continuity but I don't understand why they are mutually exclusive in Marvel's eyes. I really feel like marvel could clear these errors up by just hiring one fan of each franchise. It's sad really that a man getting paid to edit these books does a crappier job than a reader would.

And when Wolverine comes back please make him dodge he has a healing factor not invulnerability or pain suppression powers. Sure I can heal quickly and completely from skinning my knee, stubbing my toe, getting a paper cut it doesn't mean I don't try to avoid those things because I know they will heal.

Ultimate Member

If "practicality" also means getting their artists to stop ridiculously oversexualizing their female characters (which is the biggest problem imo), then I'm all for it. The old costume wasn't the problem. How a lot of artists tended to PRESENT it ways.

Oh and can someone please explain to me this "it's ripping off Batgirl" thing? I'm reading Batgirl, and I'm really not seeing the comparison beyond a few vague/basic things. And besides, Batgirl was hardly to first to use a costume like this. Sorry, but I cannot buy into the "ripoff" complaint.

BANNED

The leather coat top.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    If "practicality" also means getting their artists to stop ridiculously oversexualizing their female characters (which is the biggest problem imo), then I'm all for it. The old costume wasn't the problem. How a lot of artists tended to PRESENT it ways.

Oh and can someone please explain to me this "it's ripping off Batgirl" thing? I'm reading Batgirl, and I'm really not seeing the comparison beyond a few vague/basic things. And besides, Batgirl was hardly to first to use a costume like this. Sorry, but I cannot buy into the "ripoff" complaint.

I couldn't agree more with either point. Personally, I think the new costume is generic and unspectacular, but having said that, one spider logo defiled leather jacket does not a complete batgirl outfit make.

But looking at the art work for Jessica's new ensemble, has anyone else noticed that in one picture she seems to be wearing the old black bra under white shirt combo? So much for the new outfit not over-sexualizing her. I'm not trying to make a comparison with the old costume, but that one small detail on the new costume, in the wrong hands....

There was a Black Widow comic around the time of the Avengers movies called The Black Widow Strikes, and the second issue was full of images of a preposterously voluptuous Natasha wearing the most provocative clothes, with her breasts barely contained, and yet a lot of the dialogue given to her was along the lines off "ugh men are such sexists." It suffered terribly from havingyourcakeandeatingit-itis.

And more worryingly than the costume change, the same feels a bit true of the writing for the new Spiderwoman series. Sure you've got Land doing his trademark over the top art, but it is Hopeless placing Jessica, in her second issue, straight into the arms of two male characters like a damsel in distress. For the love of all things, surely she deserves better than that. It's like she has somehow found her way into a 1970's Bond adventure. I hope that is not what the writer means when he states that he is taking her back to her '70's roots.

Yes, Hopeless throws in a line where she declares herself a feminist, but why does Jessica have to interact with men on that level as a spy? And diss her own powers? Does the writer truly want to be writing Jessica? The new Black Widow series by Edmondson and Noto has managed to climb into double figures without such a clunky disparity between dialogue and action.

Overall I just feel saddened. I love Jessica as a character, and yet, in her titular book, Silk gets to uncover the most useful intel. I just feel like she deserves so much better, and is not getting it.

One final point on the new costume, love it or hate it, it is significant on another level, in nearly all the polls and feedback I see the vote is split 50/50. That is not a win for either camp. It is quite literally, divisive. Which in the end is just a pitiful shame.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I could see that happening. And it would also certainly simply their multiverse. Only problem is that it eliminates stories like Spider-Verse from happening. Are we just supposed to assume all of these Earth's are dead? If your theory is correct, why would Marvel start up a book like spider-gwen knowing they have to kill her off and cancel the book after secret wars? Just doesn't add up.
    Not just the main Marvel universe, but also a multiverse of some description that can contain worlds like Spider-Gwen's will almost certainly come back into existence by the end of the event.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

I like women with meat and curves. But, if Marvel actually had a problem with how the outfit over-sexualized the character (which they may not admit to), I would have preferred they lessened the curves and kept the current outfit. I just really like that outfit. Shoot, Greg Land got rid of her butt and hips in his Jessica Drew (which he always seems to do). He can draw her boobs just a little smaller, IF Marvel had a problem with those curves. They can less sexualize without getting rid of the suit. The difference would be taking Kate Upton or Kim Kardashians shape out of the uniform and using Kate Beckinsale or Jaimie Alexander in the uniform instead.

Now, no matter what the new suit looks like, some artist will still draw it the way they draw women - thick and meaty (i.e. Frank Cho). In my opinion, the new uniform (as it has been shown so far) just looks child-like and uninspired.
    Last edited by 50yearoldNovafan; 12-20-2014 at 11:17 AM.