Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    It seems like people didn't read every issue. That or they didn't read it at all, maybe they are going by what others tell them.
    Its the latter, most have absolutely no Idea what happen in the book but word of mouth spreads quite fast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Ultimately, I think that “which will sell better?” is unanswerable right now, because of insufficient information. Shazam could sell quite well if written right; but “written right” does not mean “make it as much like Thunderworld as you can”. It needs to carve out its own niché, and to establish itself as something inspired by, but distinct from, Thunderworld. Thunderworld has a refreshing edge to it (it’s flat-out fun);
    Let me posit that this actually IS part of the essence of Captain Marvel...he needs to be fun to work.

But some people tend to forget that there is a lot of fun for kids to be a bit naughty, to play hooky, to play pranks, etc. In earlier years, that was a Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn; in the same decade as the Golden Age, it was the Dead End Kids. These protagonists aren't pristine angels, but they certainly are held up as heroes in American culture.

Giving that kind of character the power of a superhero, making them an instant adult, seems to me a valid way to interpret the character, neither superior or inferior to the original interpretation. And both approaches leave plenty of room to have fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Its the latter, most have absolutely no Idea what happen in the book but word of mouth spreads quite fast.
    I can never go by word of mouth. I never read reviews and I especially don't listen to angry fans. Finding out for myself is always the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Dude, he asked you a question. And it was a very reasonable one.
    Fine. He's greedy, he's mean, he immature, he's arrogant, and he's selfish.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Is this in relation to other kids his age? Or to adults? How about other literary characters of comparable age. Does he change? Or does he stay the same?

Please note, that when the dust settled, he ultimately decided to try to join the hero game. While this may be arrogant, this doesn't seem to be particularly selfish.Or all that mean.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't remember seeing Billy behaving greedy, and yes he was mean at first but then again he was in a group home, and how can he be selfish when he's constantly protecting someone else even when he was mean to the foster kids? if he was selfish i'm pretty sure he would have left Freddy to fend for himself instead he hid him and used himself as bait and even choose to spread a villain's ashes in his homeland because he felt bad about what happened.

Immature really? he's a kid that turned into an adult, I don't think that one should be explained.

Ultimate Member

Thunderworld easily.

Johns might sell more but Morrison's version is what Captain Marvel really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thunderworld easily.

Johns might sell more but Morrison's version is what Captain Marvel really is.
    …which is exactly why I don’t think of Johns’ Shazam as Captain Marvel: he isn’t.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Read every page. I liked it. It was well written and a fun story. That doesn't make it a good depiction of the story though.

Johns' Billy Batson lost everything that made the old one a great character. Billy Batson was the best human being on the planet that is why the Wizard chose him, but this kid conned his way into the position by claiming that all humans have good in them while the Wizard was running out of time. He was selfish and manipulative. Captain Marvel was the one character that made Superman look like Lex Luthor. Shazam! is just a silly kid that plays ping pong with Cyborg. The best he's been recently was the issue of Injustice where Shazam! has a conversation with Billy Batson via video camera.

The thing that made Captain Marvel and Billy Batson great was that just being around him made everyone else want to be better people. He was a good person despite having every reason not to be. On top of that he wasn't the one thing that Shazam! is, he was never depressing and always fun.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Geoff Johns shazam family makes more sense to me since they change their appearances after the transformations so their secret identities can remain secrets. I prefer the costumes to be normal costumes rather than magic. I also prefer 6 gods to give powers to the 6 kids, each god giving powers to 1 kid.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Um, are you a dad?
    Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Geoff Johns shazam family makes more sense to me since they change their appearances after the transformations so their secret identities can remain secrets. I prefer the costumes to be normal costumes rather than magic. I also prefer 6 gods to give powers to the 6 kids, each god giving powers to 1 kid.
    I can't stand the new kids and the "reinventions" of Mary and Freddy.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    These are definitely things I like about the Shazam family; and if we get a Shazam title, I would definitely want it presented as a team book with Billy as the ringleader and each of the six kids getting plenty of time in the spotlight.

Which is not at all the way I’d want the Marvel family portrayed in a Thunderworld title. And that’s my main point: while the Shazam family and the Marvel family share some similarities due to being different takes on a similar premise, they’re not the same characters and should not be judged by the same criteria. They’re apples and oranges, and saying that either is better than the other misses that point.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

I think Johns' Shazam would slightly edge out over Morrison's Thunderworld in terms of sales. It would be very close though, as they're both superstar writers who automatically sell a lot just by having their name on the front. Johns', however, has the advantage of having a title relevant to the New52, and he's a much less divisive writer. Morrison's only competitive factor is that he'd be writing what many consider to be the "real" interpretation of the character (whatever the hell that means), but I don't think that demographic is really as big as this forum implies.

Personally I'd buy Johns' Shazam without hesitation, especially if Gary Frank had the art duties as well. I love that interpretation of the character, and the character designs are phenomenal. I've been waiting to see that story continue for about a year now (slow catching up). I might be tempted to pick up Morrison's Thunderworld, but only because Morrison would be the writer. No Morrison means it wouldn't even register as a potential on my pull list, and even with Morrison attached I'd have to really consider how worth it it is. Thunderworld was a great one-off issue, but I'm not sure I could take it every month.

New 52 Shazam's Billy Batson reminds me of those punk kids who live down the street from me. There's no way I'd spend good money to read about someone like that!

Thunderworld all the way. I'm in it for the fun of superheroics, and the inspiration, not the quote unquote "realistic approach".

A Johns Thunderworld Captain Marvel would sell better than any other combination of those four.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.